Iceland demo - Reykjavik not much different

Two pics: one with North America selected in FTXCentral, the other with FTXGlobal selected.

Should there be a noticeable difference?

I was expecting to see a big improvement (over the default FSX) with the FTXG selected.

NA selected:

NAselected.jpg

FTXG selected (this actually has fewer buildings):

FTXGselected.jpg

FTXCentral choices:

Icelanddemotest.jpg

Iceland is an island located just north of continental Europe. It is still considered part of Europe even though it is floating by itself in the North Atlantic. It is not considered part of North America. You cannot see default FSX unless you uninstalled Global. It is now your default for the whole globe. Regardless what you check in FTX Central you are still going to see Global textures unless flying in a full terrain region.

Hope that answers some of your question.

Hi 777,

You are not looking at the Iceland demo in either screen shot.  I've attached a screenshot of BIRK from the demo, you will see a huge difference.  Why you are not seeing the demo I don't know but I do know FTX Central should to set to FTX Global.

Cheers, Neil

post-2447-0-80299100-1396190827_thumb.jp

As Neil says, your shots simply show default Reykjavik.

Some checking needs to be done.

First, I suggest you use FTX Central to check if it has installed at all.

Use Tools\Report\FTX Products installed and you should see this entry:

FTX openLC Europe Region 8 (Iceland Demo) Version 1.00 - October 2013

If you had installed correctly or at all, there should be two new folders in your ORBX

folder in the main FSX folder.

FSX\ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_EU8 and FSX\ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_EU9.

If you find these, then you should check your scenery library entries

for these two folders.

The demo functions whether or not you have a region active

and is not dependent on the FTX Central setting.

This is what you should be and are seeing with FTX Global installed, basically default FSX Reykjavik

with different ground textures only.

qEfY1.jpg

Installing the demo adds a host of features, corrected mesh, coastlines, roads, rivers, streams, landclass which

re-arranges the textures to represent the differing topology and for Reykjavik a more correct display of its layout

including some photo real sections. Barely recognisable as the same place.

ldHxI.jpg

You do not need FTX Global to see the Iceland demo but you do need to install the demo files.

OK thanks guys.

I had installed Iceland_demo "OFF" because I did not have FTXGlobal installed - I only have FTX PNW.

But it seems that Iceland_demo did not install properly (see my other posts re errors during install)...

...therefore, at BIRK, I think I'm seeing default FSX even though I should be seeing the Iceland_demo in all its glory.

FTXC reports the following:

"

FTX AA ORBX LIBRARIES VER 140302 2nd March 2014
FTX NA KHQM BOWERMAN AIRPORT VERSION 1.0
FTX NA PNW PACIFIC NORTHWEST V1.0 PATCH 008 February 2014
FTX openLC Europe Region 8 (Iceland Demo) Version 1.00 - October 2013

"

The folders FSX\ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_EU8 and FSX\ORBX\FTX_OLC\OLC_EU9 do exist, but they don't show up in my scenery library (should I try adding these two areas manually) ?

FSXscenerylib.jpg

FTXCsceneryhierarchy.jpg

manually adding the OLC_EU8 and OLC_EU9 folders appears to have done the trick. Thanks!

BIRK.jpg

Nick, I don't know what caused the errors during installation of the demo.

I would like to know whether the  \ORBX\Scripts\Iceland_Backup  folder is supposed to be empty (as is mine) and how to confirm if the installer made any necessary backups as part of the installation routine (in case I uninstall).

• 2 months later...

Iceland is an island located just north of continental Europe. It is still considered part of Europe even though it is floating by itself in the North Atlantic. It is not considered part of North America. You cannot see default FSX unless you uninstalled Global. It is now your default for the whole globe. Regardless what you check in FTX Central you are still going to see Global textures unless flying in a full terrain region.

Hope that answers some of your question.

Not for nothing but the western half of Iceland is in North America. The fault line that divides the island technically seperates Europe from North America. Beside, everyone there speaks English and Jerry Seinfeld had down comedy shows there. Good enough for me.

Not for nothing but the western half of Iceland is in North America. The fault line that divides the island technically seperates Europe from North America. Beside, everyone there speaks English and Jerry Seinfeld had down comedy shows there. Good enough for me.

For a better understanding http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland

Spirit

I vacationed there in 99'. Plan to return next year, mostly for photography. Thomashmitchell.com

Hope to catch a flight to Isafordjour. One of my favorite places to land in 3D.

Archived