Interesting article at "The Register"

Siggy

Yes interesting article - thanks for the link.

The fact that Microsoft shows this much disregard for their FS customer base and 3rd party developer base is frustrating...

I have now officially gone into the camp that hopes some other company buys the rights from them to develop the future of the franchise. Microsoft seems to have officially lost direction when it comes to the Flight Simulator.

Don't get me wrong though - I do love Microsoft for their work on the Windows platform - XP & Vista are awsome. And Windows 7 will be even better.

But Microsoft shows their lack of awareness for the FS franchise, when recently, their own spokes people are referring to Flight Simulator as a 'flight game'.

It has always been a simulator - if they start to develop it with the mindset that it's 'a game' they will just muck it up.

Just picture this ... Soon the next Microsoft Flightsim will be available for X-Box & PC but only available for purchase through the 'Games For Windows Live' distribution service. And you will have to have Games for Windows Live running in the background in order to save your flights.

But Microsoft shows their lack of awareness for the FS franchise, when recently, their own spokes people are referring to Flight Simulator as a 'flight game'.

It has always been a simulator - if they start to develop it with the mindset that it's 'a game' they will just muck it up.

Totally agree with M$ apparent mind set about the sim being a 'game'.  FSX was there attempt to change the direction from a pure simulation to an 'everyman's' adventure game with the 'missions' etc.  After toying with the demo when it was released I didn't see any reason to switch to an incomplete program with scenery straight out of a low budget cartoon.  Third party developers such as OrbX, no need to mention the lower tier, have made FSX into a viable sim once again.

I have now officially gone into the camp that hopes some other company buys the rights from them to develop the future of the franchise.

Don't hold your breath on this one.  It will remain on shelves and continue to sell enough to make it worthwhile for a time to come.  At this time, it still is the best of breed out there.

Cheers,

I have now officially gone into the camp that hopes some other company buys the rights from them to develop the future of the franchise.

Don't hold your breath on this one.  It will remain on shelves and continue to sell enough to make it worthwhile for a time to come.  At this time, it still is the best of breed out there.

Cheers,

I agree - FSX is the best because of add-on developers like orbx and others.

I'm just sayin that when Microsoft's own people are starting to call Flight Simulator 'a game' I start to wonder. I want our beloved simulator to stay a simulator.

And then when Microsoft won't tell their customer base what their plans are for the future I start to wonder. It would be nice to at least announce something so that add-on developers could make business decisions now based on what Microsoft is thinking.

Archived