Repeated CTDs and FSX restart with FTX Global and FTX Northern CA set in "Hybrid" mode

melevine

Good morning all:

Let me start out by saying I'm loving ORBX and really enjoy the NA Gold Northern California scenery but I have discovered a perplexing problem associated with it that has caused repeated and consistent screen freezing, a "fatal error" message and FSX restart to my default flight.  I have tried to trouble shoot this over the past 4 days.  I have done very controlled flights (isolating the variables) to determine what could be causing it and have come up with the following findings. Be advised that within FTX Central  I had both FTX GLOBAL checked and "Hybrid" mode

My initial problem started while flying the default C172 from Monterey, CA (KMRY) to Napa, CA (KAPC).  At 13 miles on a heading of 340 degrees from Napa the screen froze (see my description above).  I was flyiing in "real weather" (via Active Sky Next).  I repeated that flight several times with the same result.  I tried different aircraft on same flight with same result.  I also flew with Active Sky Next turned off (using default FSX weather).  I flew the C172 from Monterey to other closer airports in the East SF BAY (Reid Hillview, San Jose Intl, Oakland, Bucannon and to KSFO and was able to land without any problem.... and I could tour around this wonderful scenery.  But, this morning after flying over downtown SF then north over Sausalito and San Raphael, 20 miles from NAPA according to the GPS and not directly heading toward Napa, the flight failed again (same results as above).   

So far I have only had these failed flights while flying within this scenery add-on area within 20 miles of Napa.  There may be other areas that do the same thing.  Perhaps other flyers have discovered them?  

Now here is the perplexing part.  If I close FSX and reopen FTX Central and uncheck the "Hybrid" mode leaving only FTX GLOBAL checked I can repeatedly complete the flight all the way to Napa.  (But, as you know, the NA N. California scenery add-on ISN'T ACTIVE with that FTX Central setting).   

I tried this also:  In FTX Central I only checked the North American icon and I could repeatedly complete the flying to Napa. (the N. California add-on IS ACTIVE in that FTX Central setting)

Bottom Line:  It appears that "Hybrid" mode in FTX Central is causing this issue.

What to do about it?   I wanted to let the ORBX software "gurus" know about this problem so hopefully they can solve the issue and (perhaps) patch this.  Hope my reporting this helps!

Mike

These are currently installed on my Win7 64 computer running FSX:

FTX AA ORBX LIBRARIES VER 140201 1st February 2014

FTX GLOBAL BASE PACK - Version 1.20 December 2013 Order#FSS0271831

FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 1 - Version 1.00 August 2013

FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 2 - September 2013

FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 3 - October 2013

FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 4 - November 2013

FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 5 - December 2013

FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 6 (Hawaii) - January 2014

FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 7 - January 2014

FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 8 - January 2014

FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 9 - February 2014

FTX NA CRM Central Rocky Mountains V1.00 July 2011  Order #FSS0272194

FTX NA KHQM BOWERMAN AIRPORT VERSION 1.0

FTX NA NCA Northern California V1.00 February 2014 Order #FSS0272179

FTX NA PNW PACIFIC NORTHWEST V1.0 PATCH 007 January 2014 Order #FSS0272100

FTX openLC Base Region Version 1.10 - September 2013

FTX openLC Europe Region 1 (Baltics Demo) Version 1.10 - September 2013

FTX openLC North America Region 1 Version 1.00 - September 2013

FTX US 2S1 VASHON ISLAND VERSION 1.1 - June 2010

Hi Mike,

interesting observation, thanks for the heads-up. We'll try to replicate the issue and look for possible causes. I'd appreciate if you could check in the Windows Event viewer (Windows Logs > Applications) what the logged details are of those crashes.

While Global-hybrid shouldn't cause CTDs it is a compromise in terms of displaying some of the landscape components. Thus, for flying within or between any of our North American regions the best FTX Central setting to choose is "North America".

Cheers, Holger

Hi Mike,

interesting observation, thanks for the heads-up. We'll try to replicate the issue and look for possible causes. I'd appreciate if you could check in the Windows Event viewer (Windows Logs > Applications) what the logged details are of those crashes.

While Global-hybrid shouldn't cause CTDs it is a compromise in terms of displaying some of the landscape components. Thus, for flying within or between any of our North American regions the best FTX Central setting to choose is "North America".

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger,

First of all... Thanks for developing such great scenery over the years! I was a long time user (and holdout) of FS2004 running on Win XP until last month when I (finally) purchased the high end system that would allow me to take full advantage of FSX on Win 7 64 and run my 9 GoFlight modules, TrackIR, 4 monitors, etc. That said, I am relatively new to Win 7. Until you just mentioned it, I wasn't aware of the Windows Event Viewer. When I get home later today I'll locate it (per your short direction above) and copy anything I see concerning the CTDs I've recently experienced. I'll post that information in this forum topic.

Cheers to you,

Mike

ASEL (I fly C172 SPs ... With steam gauges and G1000)

25 year user of MSFS (started with FS4 back in 1989)

Holger I just tried to post the Windows Event Viewer (Windows Logs > Applications) entries that I copied (from 3/11 thru today 3/15.  I didn't know exactly what you needed to see in that log so I included all the lines between those dates (the period I've been experiencing the CTD problem that this forum topic addresses.  Apparently, due to the length of this attempted post (multiple lines) the posting did not show up here????    I have that copy in an email too.... Is there anyway that I can forward that email to you for your perusal since my posting it here didn't work?

Mike

UPDATE:

Since making my first post in this topic I need to change something I reported then.  This morning I repeated my previous flight to Napa (KAPC) on a 340 degree course with ONLY North America checked in FTX Central (which I reported previously did work).  Unfortunately, this time it ALSO CTD at 13 miles from Napa.  So.... I restarted everything and flew it again and it CTD again.  I then went back and reset FTX Central to FTX GLOBAL and was able to complete the flight.   So.... it now seems that the problem with that Northern California scenery occurs whenever it is active (i.e., in FTX GLOBAL with HYBRID checked .... and .... in FTX NORTH AMERICA checked alone)

Mike

Hi Mike,

that starts to sound more like an interaction with a third-party add-on. Do you have any other scenery/landscape/AI add-ons active in that area?

In any case, I don't want to sift through a long list of Event Viewer logs. Instead please look for the latest crash, which will be marked as an "Application Error" with the faulting application "fsx.exe", and then either copy and paste the information from the General tab of the error log or take a screenshot as my example below.

Cheers, Holger 

post-375-0-18336200-1395081534_thumb.jpg

Hi Holger,

The only add-on scenery I've installed is ORBX related (see the list at the bottom of my first post in this string). I do not have any AI aircraft programs installed. I do have two weather related programs installed.... REX 4 Texture Direct and Active Sky NEXT. FYI... Good news....Since my initial posting I've been flying all around Northern California in that scenery in all directions and landing at many different airports (outside of a 20 mile radius of NAPA). No problem completing those flights. (I've been doing them with North America checked as you had advised me to do)

Thanks for the explanation concerning the event viewer log. I will do that later when. I get home and paste it here.

Mike

Hi Holger,

The only add-on scenery I've installed is ORBX related (see the list at the bottom of my first post in this string). I do not have any AI aircraft programs installed. I do have two weather related programs installed.... REX 4 Texture Direct and Active Sky NEXT. FYI... Good news....Since my initial posting I've been flying all around Northern California in that scenery in all directions and landing at many different airports (outside of a 20 mile radius of NAPA). No problem completing those flights. (I've been doing them with North America checked as you had advised me to do)

Thanks for the explanation concerning the event viewer log. I will do that later when. I get home and paste it here.

Mike

Just got home.....    also just remembered that I do have one more airport scenery installed.   FlightBeam KSFO.

Mike

Error 3/16/2014 6:13:28 PM Application Error 1000 (100)

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb58
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000ba79f
Faulting process id: 0x1270
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf4170ce9ac4c4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\g3d.dll
Report Id: 57f7cba0-ad71-11e3-b52d-240a64553875

__________________________________________________________________________________

Error 3/15/2014 4:11:09 PM Application Error 1000 (100)

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb58
Fault offset: 0x000ba7e9
Faulting process id: 0x1aa0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf409bb2e55ab1
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\g3d.dll
Report Id: 17747822-ac97-11e3-b42a-240a64553875

Error 3/12/2014 8:38:01 AM Application Error 1000 (100)

Faulting module name: API.DLL, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb58
Fault offset: 0x0003c833
Faulting process id: 0x12f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf3dfeed2bbbc8
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\API.DLL
Report Id: 4af5f54b-a9fc-11e3-a022-240a64553875

I have also gotten MANY errors like this when the Sim CTD in that scenery near NAPA (KAPC):

Error 3/17/2014 3:13:59 PM WMI 10 None

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Hi Mike,

crashes with the g3d.dll module are quite "generic" and common as a Google search (in conjunction with "FSX") seems to indicate. Looks like they are an indicator or resource starvation and can be avoided with lower scenery settings or the FSUIPC OOM "tracker". See http://asn.aerosoft.com/?page_id=1997 and ;http://forum.avsim.net/topic/355100-g3ddll-workaroundfix-to-prevent-fsx-crashes/ (login required)

Not sure about the API.DLL crash but according to Pete Dowson it is often correlated with saved flight situation files; see http://forum.simflight.com/topic/70426-fsx-crashing/?p=436277 . You stated you've tried different aircraft but did you perhaps start from the same saved flight?

Never heard of that last error message before but here's what a Google search brought up: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;2545227 . Note the reassuring bit in the "Cause" section that states "...These events are not indicative of any issue in the system and can be safely ignored. "

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

Later tonight I'll check those links and references you provided to see what I can gleen from them, but my sense is that you are conveying that my CTD issue isn't specifically caused by the Northern California scenery itself.... or am I reading between the lines?

As for the APl.DLL error.....   that happened back on 3/12 and I think that I may have used a saved flight at that time.  But... for sure, from that point on I created each flight from the "Free Flight" window in FSX (starting fresh each time) .... and as you see in what I provided to you, the APl.DLL error didn't reappear.

Mike

Just got home.....    also just remembered that I do have one more airport scenery installed.   FlightBeam KSFO.

Mike

Flight Beam's KSFO has a specific restriction for use with NCA (see page 5 of the NCA users manual):

FLIGHTBEAM STUDIOS - KSFO

Flightbeam Studios KSFO is fully compatible with FTX NA NCA, after following these easy steps:

• Navigate to your “Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_NCA05_SCENERY\scenery†folder, and rename the following files so they have “.OFF†at the end instead of “.BGLâ€:
  1.  ADEX_FTX_NCA_KSFO_San_Francisco_Intl.BGL
  2. ADEX_FTX_NCA_KSFO_San_Francisco_Intl_CVX.bgl
  3. FTX_NCA_objects_KSFO_PLC.bgl
  •  Install Flightbeam KSFO (if you haven’t already), and make sure it appears above the ORBX entries in the FSX/P3D scenery library.
  • If you uninstall Flightbeam KSFO and would like to revert these changes, simply rename the file extensions of the above files from “.OFF†back to “.BGLâ€.

Hi Mark,

I had already done those modifications at the time I installed NCA

Thanks,

Mike

No worries Mike. I had issues as I had not taken the time to read the manual; so that was on me. ::)

I sincerely hope you can get your issues resolved.

Archived