New Zealand scenery won't load into FSX

jwilly

I have bought a new Windows 7 PC and have installed FTX New Zealand North Island in FSX on its own hard drive, separate from the Windows OS drive.

The installation ended with the message could not make the User Documents folder.

The OrbX files are showing in the FSX folder but not in the FSX scenery library when FSX is booted. Placing FSX at a North Island airport shows only the defaultFSX scenery.

Any help please

jwilly

Order No FSS0257305

Suddenly thought I needed to activate the new scenery in FTX Central. However, no FTX Central installed on the desk top. The first installation on my older PC worked fine, but using the same installation DVD on the newer PC has caused the problems described above.

Order No FSS0257305

Exactly the same problems with New Zealand SI, and Pacific North West, both installed from DVD installation discs

Hi there,

the consistent appearance of the issue across different installers indicates either an issue with read/write permissions (make sure you have UAC off, as well as full admin rights to all folders on the FSX drive, as well as any "hyperactive" antivirus checker tamed through excludes or temporary deactivation), or an incorrect FSX registry entry, or perhaps insufficient hard disk space, in that order of likelihood.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the reply, Holger.

UAC is turned off. I am sure I have full administrator rights, but how do I check?

There is no antivirus installed and the drive on which OrbX is installed in FSX, is brand new, with a capacity of 1000 Gig of which only 40 is used.

Can you explain what is meant by incorrect registry entry? The file hierarchy on my PC is E:/FSX/ORBX/FTX_NA and FTX_NZ which is the same technique I used on the old PC and worked fine.

I have tried re-installing the Pacific North West DVD, which now won't install coming up with the error message:

'Set up cannot create the following folder: E:\FSX\\ORBX\User Documents' (the two backslashes after FSX is as displayed on the error message).

Any other ideas? Should I un-install (if so how best to) and re-install?

Any help appreciated.

Hi there,

you can check folder access rights by right-clicking on your "FSX" folder, selecting Properties, then the Security tab, then checking that you have Full Control as both user and Administrator. If in doubt you can also right-click on any installer .exe file and select "run as administrator".

Our installers rely on your Windows registry to determine the location of your FSX main folder. If there's a discrepancy that means your registry entries for FSX are incorrect and should be fixed first with one of the available freeware tools; see http://fullterrain.com/support.html#registry or http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library or http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/FSX-Registry-Utility-Download-74741.html

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

I have run all three registry repair files with no benefit.

I have found FTX Central in FSX/OrbX/Scripts. Thinking I needed to ok the scenery areas with it, I attempted to run it but got the message 'Missing FTXCentralSettings.xml on my desktop. When I copied FTXCentralSettings to my desktop, and tried to run FTX Central once more, I got 'Unhandle exception has occurred in your application'.

I am at a loss.

Any other ideas?

John

Holger,

I decided to delete the OrbX folder from the FSX folder, and then attempt re-installation from the DVDs.

Amazingly, and to my great delight, it installed absolutely flawlessly, with the OrbX scenery showing in FSX and FTX Central etc showing up as they should on the desktop.

Goodness only knows what happened last time but I followed exactly the same procedure second time around as I did in the first.

Anyway, I am one happy bunny just now.

Thanks for your replies in trying to help.

Best wishes

Archived