NCA Hollister Municipal Airport

Dusterman

Hollister airport and the surrounding area look really nice in NCA and I can now fly my patterns using the ground scenery as cues.  There are some minor changes that would make the experience even better, perhaps could be implemented in your next update.  There are trees around the north end of runway 31 in NCA.  That area is grass, not trees.  Changing the aiport designator to KCVH and adding the Hollister AWOS (120.245) would reflect the current airport status and allow using Hollister weather instead of Salinas or other coastal weather when flying real weather.  The coastal fog usually doesn't extend inland as far as Hollister, making morning VFR departures and landings much easier to do.  The third item is adding the CalFire base at the south end of the airport, active June through October. Since you are modeling the Redding base I thought adding two tankers and an OV10 wouldn't be too difficult.  If those aircraft could be AI it would make landing and taking off an interesting experience when CalFire is responding to a call.  Add in AI glider operations at the same time and a pilot might want to land at Watsonville or South County instead of Hollister.

Hi Dusterman,

Thanks for the feedback; I've noted the issue with the trees and will get that fixed for the next service pack. The other issues aren't my department, but if the ICAO code and ASOS freq aren't up to date then we might be able to fix those. No promises on the other items, but I hear ya about those gliders near Hollister, I've had a close call or two down there in real life (I do quite a bit of flying out of KRHV). Not sure that Watsonville is a safer option though; there are a bunch of yahoos over that way too ;)

Scott

Thanks for the response.  I forgot to mention the skydiving operation and ARIS Helicopters also at the airport.  Can get very busy at times and then you hear  "Hollister traffic, Learjet XXX on straight in final for 31, 20 miles south".  makes for some interesting patterns.

Archived