Triple Monitors

cptdes

I have 3 x Dell 22" monitors and am having a lot of trouble setting them up to show  Flightsim X in all it's glory.

Is there anyone in the Perth area who might be able to physically help me set them up please ?

I will gladly cover their expenses.

My computer is brand new high end, and the builder assures me I can run 6 monitors from it.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

Yes it can be a bit daunting to set them up,I could find no help when I bought my system ages ago,even the people that sold the machine to me did not know how,it was a new idea at the time,I use a AMD Radeon R7950 video card,the NVidia cards are quite different,so if you have a AMD card I can probably tell you what to do over the phone,im in Warwick so that's a cut lunch and a water bag away from you! cheers,Ron

I have 3 monitors set up, but have little computer knowledge. What part is causing the problem?

Mine are numbered 1-3 and I have the resolution set at 3384x----x--, sorry not at home and can't remember.

My small problem is that the sizes are mixed so I have to bevel the edges at bit.

Allan

Hi cptdes,

If it is a Nvidia, then this should help. Go to the Nvidia website at www.nvidia.com, download the latest 2D Surround driver and follow the following steps I found on a website can't remember where though to give the credit) ......

The first thing is to have three identical monitors (we will assume for this exercise, the monitors are all 1920 x 1200; 60 Hz). Then, a graphics card with three screen outputs. These must be DVI or DisplayPort, perhaps HDMI. VGA outputs will not work with nvidia Surround. What follows is for Nvidia cards only. This is designed for Windows 7 but I guess it will work the same in Others

1. On the desktop right click and go to 'screen resolution'. Check that three screens are showing and that these are ID 1,2,3 showing eg 1920 x 1200 resolution. Make sure they are in Landscape and that each shows 'Extend desktop to this display'. If all is well, close this and go back to Desktop.

2. Right click and go to Nvidia Control Panel. Go to 'Set up Multiple Displays'. Make sure three green screens are showing in landscape mode and that the centre screen has a star to show it is the primary display. It should be possible to move the mouse cursor from right to left across all three screens. This is very important. If you can't do this you must re-arrange the screens until you can. Put the cursor over one of the screens - it will become a 'move' hand. Drag the screens around until you can move the cursor across all three screens.

3. Go up the menu to 'Configure Surround, Phys X'. Check the box 'Span displays with Surround'. Click 'configure'. In the popup box all three monitors should show green with white check-marks. Click Apply.

Now the fun starts.

4. You should now have one display stretching across all three monitors. Don't worry if your desktop is on the far left. That is where it is meant to be. The three screens should show IDs: 2, 3, 1 or whatever. Check again that you can move your mouse cursor across the entire display. If not use the popup box to rearrange the individual monitors. When you are okay with that, click Apply.

5. A bezel correction popup box appears. The bezel is the plastic frame around the monitor screen. You need to allow for this when setting up the display so that the scenery is continuous behind the bezel. Otherwise things look very strange. So, click 'Yes, add special resolutions'.

6. A road will appear with markings spanning the first two monitors. Move the pop up box out of the way if you cannot see this properly. Use the setting button between the left and centre screen to make adjustments so that the road is correctly lined up. My setting is 110 but this will vary according to the width of the bezels. (Make sure the monitors are touching and at the same horizontal level). When done, click on the button between the centre and right screen to bring up another road. Repeat the alignment. When satisfied, click 'Create Resolutions'. On the next popup click 'Add or Remove resolutions'.

What has happened in 6 is that the display resolution has been changed in the horizontal mode to take account of the width of the monitor bezels. So instead of 1920 x 3 = 5760 it will be slightly more than that. The vertical mode remains unchanged at 1200.

7. This part can be awkward. In this popup you must choose your new resolution and move it from 'inactive' to 'active'. If like me, you experimented a bit you will have some strange inactive resolutions. Scroll down that list and find one which shows a figure greater than eg 5760 (x 1200). Do not use any vertical value except x1200. When you find a screen resolution which fits this, move it across to the active side using the arrow. Make a note of this resolution - probably 5971 x 1200. Click OK.

8. Close the Control Panel and run FSX.

9. Create a flight at some sparse scenery airport. Use virtual cockpit. Go to Options/Settings/Display. Under 'Full Screen Resolution' find the resolution you created and which you made a note of under 7. Eg as above 5971 x 1200 x 32. Select this and click OK.

10. You should now be sitting in a virtual cockpit with a surround view which aligns accurately between the monitors. If the matching between your screens is not quite right, you can reset the bezel correction. Go back to the Control Panel and start again at 3.

I hope this helps. It should as least get you started if it's Nvidia. But 6 monitor ability it is probably ATI and so you will need to look up Eyefinity info on the web. Nvidia only allows up to 4 monitors off a single card using 2D surround without additional hardware.

Spacey

Hi Picnic,

The forth monitor is an accessory monitor only for things such as instrument panels, 2d drop down panels. It cannot be used as an extra scenery device to give you a 4 monitor wide view (3 wide is the max with Nvidia unless you grab a TH2G and slip it in as the number 2 monitor ..... although this causes a massive frame rate drop, even with my system - so I'm awaiting for SLI compatibility, and more GPU driven P3D v2.5 which should allow this). Therefore this fourth monitor can be any size and runs off the HDMI output on the video card, but can also use an adapter to run an older vga only monitor to plug into this HDMI slot. This allows instruments to alway be visible when flying which is really handy.

Spacey

Well looks like the pain was worth it......I now have my Flightsim on 3 monitors, and the feeling of immersion is fantastic.

2014-2-21_20-25-12-793_zpsbea69133.png

Just a quick flight at NZWN to check things out

This is only with the default MS scenery...now comes the task of reinstalling all the ORBX, OZx, etc.......

I could not be happier than right now...this is all I ever wanted from F/Sim.

Thankyou to all the guys who responded to my cry for help, your input enabled me to get this far :) :)

Doc, thanks for the number I will be in touch soon, and Spacey you are a gem.

I think this information might well be made a sticky.

Hi Picnic,

The forth monitor is an accessory monitor only for things such as instrument panels, 2d drop down panels. It cannot be used as an extra scenery device to give you a 4 monitor wide view (3 wide is the max with Nvidia unless you grab a TH2G and slip it in as the number 2 monitor ..... although this causes a massive frame rate drop, even with my system - so I'm awaiting for SLI compatibility, and more GPU driven P3D v2.5 which should allow this). Therefore this fourth monitor can be any size and runs off the HDMI output on the video card, but can also use an adapter to run an older vga only monitor to plug into this HDMI slot. This allows instruments to alway be visible when flying which is really handy.

Spacey

Hi Spacy,

I just bought a 19'' 16:9 monitor with an VGA connection today from a colleague.

I thought I could use it as the instrument panel in my home cockpit (to be).

So I will connect it with an adapter on one of the two DVI-ports of my GTX 780 and connect my 26'' main monitor to any other port (currently at a HDMI-port) of the card, right? 

I hope I don't have to play too much around with it. I intend to put it on top of my Saitek Yoke and see if it works in P3D 2.1.

Archived