PNW Install Disaster

lorenzoj

I only recently installed the PNW Demo and loved it. Bought the Cushman Meadows add on for it - Wonderful. Then installed the Tasmania Demo - Really Love It !. Installed the Iceland Demo also excellent. All of them great scenery, very good framerates, terrific.

Decided to support these great products. Bought the NA Blue PNW full pack. Used the official uninstaller to uninstall the PNW Demo. Ran the PNW installer. Finally got the message " Installation Successful. The FTX USA / Canada Pacific Northwest 1.005 installation is complete." FTX Central popped up plus the warning "Terrain.cfg has no [LandClasses] section". Selected North America. Loaded a flight at KSEA. Trees all over the taxiways and parking ramps. The bays to the West and North of KSEA completely filled in and covered with trees. Went to FTX Central, Selected FTX Global. Went to BIRK in Iceland. Bay filled with trees and buildings where there used to be just water. Uninstalled and re-installed. No Joy. What a mess. The demos were wonderful. This is not at all..... Framerates went into the basement also....

The PDF included with the PNW installation said that there should be (10) .....setup_PNW.x datafiles ? But I ended up with (4) files totaling 4.28 GB unpacked

FTXNAPNW1005.2, FTXNAPNW1005.3, Important_Read_Me!.txt, OrbxFTXNABluePNW100.exe (4.28 GB Total)

My order numbers FSS0269037 and FSS0268330

Hi there,

sorry to hear about the frustrating experience. The error message indicates that somehow parts of your terrain.cfg file have become corrupted. Probably the easiest fix is to "refresh" it. The active terrain.cfg is located in the main FSX folder and there's a backup of the original version in the \ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work folder. Make a copy of your active terrain.cfg (as a safety backup) and then overwrite it with the original version. Then you need to start and cycle FTX Central at least once between options (doesn't matter which) and press Apply to automatically re-insert the FTX custom entries. Also, if you own other add-ons that require custom entries, like Ultimate Terrain or FSAddon, you'll need to run their setup tools or repair options as well.

Once the terrain.cfg has been restored and PNW v1.5 installed don't forget to download and install the available PNW service pack 6 from our support page as well as the current Orbx Libraries: http://www.fullterrain.com/support.html

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: the number of setup files is correct; it probably changed when we went from an earlier build to the current version. 

Thanks for the rapid response

In the interim I did a restore back to a pre-BluePNW state, the point at which I have the PNW, Tasmania, Iceland demos and the Cushman Meadows addon installed. Things are back to looking good with good frame rates in all FTX scenery areas. I have experimented with trying different FTX Central setting outside of the scenery area and gotten back to a "normal" looking KSEA airport but my framerate at KSEA is well below what I had before FTX/ORBX. I'll do a bit more fiddling around.

I will follow your procedure to do another install of the full PNW package when I'm feeling a little less beat up. The demo scenery with good framerates did spoil me.

Are there other things I should be particularly aware of when trying to get the areas to play well together ?

Thanks again

Lorenzo

My order numbers FSS0269037 and FSS0268330

PS Should I do the terrain.cfg restore before or after the next PNW install ?

Hi Lorenzo,

the PNW demo doesn't include the Seattle area meaning the framerates shouldn't change at KSEA with or without the demo. After installing the full PNW region there may be some fps reduction in Seattle but if you're installing the latest service pack you should see an improvement.

Given the issues you had with the PNW installer I'd suggest restoring the terrain.cfg after removing the Orbx demos in order to be sure that no older Orbx entries remain.

Cheers, Holger 

Hi Holger,

There are definitely changes to the Seattle Area if I choose either Global with Hybrid checked in FTX Central or choose the North American Icon and then switch to KSEA. With either, I get new runways and surrounding scenery with a significant fps drop.

The only uninstallers seem to be for the PNW demo and the Iceland demo. Are you suggesting I get rid of ALL FTX/Orbx products and start over with the full PNW pack and nothing else ? Including getting rid of the Tasmania Demo ? Do I just delete folders ?

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

sorry, I missed the part about FTX Global and thought we were talking about PNW and the demo only. Yes, FTX Global changes the landclass ground textures and autogen throughout the world and thus the Seattle area would look different as well.

No need to uninstall anything other than the PNW demo. After that make a backup copy of your current terrain.cfg and replace it as described above. Then install PNW, which will automatically run FTX Central and thus also re-insert any required entries for FTX Global and the Tasmania demo. Assuming no further error flags come up then install the PNW SP6 and the current Orbx Libraries as the final step.

Cheers, Holger 

Thanks again Holger,

OK. I'm clear on everything in your last reply except the part about the "current ORBX Libraries"..... ? Which files would those be ?

The FTX Global I have is that which was installed with the Iceland Demo. At that time, the FSX Default selection icon in the FTX Central was replaced by a FTX Global Selection icon. If I leave all checkboxes blank or check Orbx Tree and Lights I get the default KSEA etc. If I check Hyrid I do get updated runways and terrain/buildings in the surrounding scenery along with a noticeable fps drop. I did notice that when I tried to install the full PNW initially after uninstalling the PNW Demo, I ended up with (2) selection icons for FTX Global in FTX Central. Interesting ?

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

the current Orb Libraries are available at https://www.fullterrain.com/support.html#orbxlibs . Installing those will also take care of the duplicate FTX Global icons.

Global does not include any airport enhancements, only ground textures and autogen. Thus, unless we're talking about the full PNW region, FTX Global by itself will certainly change the look of the urban areas around KSEA but nothing at the airport itself. 

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

OK I do see the Orbx Libraries Dual Installer !

I did some more fiddling around and flying. I'm guessing that even though I did a System Restore that scenery from the messed up Full PNW install attempt got left behind and are being used. Or maybe I actually do have the Full PNW installed and the System Restore just somehow corrected that missing [Landclasses] section thing .... ? I was able to pull up different seasons flying around the Olympic Penninsula...

Is there a way I could verify what I have installed by checking folder contents etc. ?

FTX Central:

Installed FTX Products report shows:

FTX AA ORBX LIBRARIES VER 131027 27th October 2013

FTX AU BLUE SP3 (TASMANIA SPRING SEASON DEMO) OCT 2009

FTX AU YMLT VERSION 2.5 (SP3) October2009

FTX NA KHQM BOWERMAN AIRPORT VERSION 1.0

FTX NA PNW PACIFIC NORTHWEST V1.0 PATCH 005 March 27th 2012

FTX openLC Europe Region 8 (Iceland Demo) Version 1.00 - October 2013

FTX US KCMW Cushman Meadows VERSION 1.1 (ObjectFlow + PeopleFlow) - June 2011

Hi Lorenzo,

the PNW demo files in {FSX}\ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PNW06_CVX\scenery all have "_DEMO" as part of their names. With the full PNW installed you should not see any of those files. Also, the file counts are different; with the demo there would be 24 files in that folder and with the full region 159 files.

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: I only mention PNW service pack 6 above but the one that should actually help more with fps, due to the improved night lighting system, is SP7, which is available on the same support page.

Good grief but you respond quickly Holger,

Thanks for the above info.

I most definitely am limited to Spring at KHQM so would guess that for the most part I do seem to have the NPW Demo installed.

I will check the Folder structure to see what is there. At this point I'm still thinking that I have pieces of the full install attempt hanging about but that basically I am back to the NPW Demo.

I assume that I will still be following the procedure you first outlined to attempt a new Full NPW Install in any event..... when I'm feeling rested and ready.

Lorenzo

Morning Holger,

It appears that I in fact do have the Full NPW installed as my FTX_NA_PNW06_CVX folder does have 159 files and trying again at KCMW I do indeed get Season changes. Somewhere along the way the bizarre artifacts like trees on runways and filled in bays seem to have gotten squared away.

At this time I will believe I will just proceed with the Patches 6 and 7, and the ORBX Libraries upgrade as you outlined previously.

I will confirm here as soon as I can

Thanks again for your much appreciated help

Lorenzo

OK

Installed patches 6 and 7

Installed current ORBX Library

Everything is looking pretty good.

Framerates improved around KSEA but still not great. I have a very good i7 Quad system but still have a mediocre video card so I'll take a good part of the blame there. Away from dense airports like KSEA the framerates are very good however. I do miss the default harbor at Seattle with the big ships and cranes which are gone now. Rest of the terrain looks excellent compared to the default FSX.

Thanks for all the guidance. I won't be hesitant when considering the next FTX/ORBX purchase

Lorenzo

Archived