Flying cars and derailed trains in SAK

petergloor

I have SAK. Just near Skagway airport, e.g. I get static automobiles that are hovering in the air, at various heights.

When I checked out the White Pass trains, I found that the first couple or so cars are in a correct line behind the engines, but it seems that they all have to face in the same direction (compass degrees). The effect of this is that, in a curve, they are all staggered behind each other.

Can the developers perhaps figure out a patch for this? I could provide screenshots, if necessary.

Peter

Hi Peter,

the issue with the cars sounds like an interference from a third-party add-on and the problems with the rotated railroad cars even stranger. Thus, a couple of screenshots would help indeed. See http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Cheers, Holger

Hi Peter,

that's definitely weird. Those cars were placed as individual objects with their elevation reference point set to the local ground level. The only way they can hover is if somehow the placement file got altered or FSX thinks the local ground elevation is higher (in which case you'd see a hill underneath those cars). Since you're also having some odd issues with the trains, which are also placed as objects, I'd suggest to re-install SAK to make sure it's not one of our files that causes the problems. To do so set FTX Central to North America, then delete the four FTX_NA_SAK05_ folders in {FSX}\ORBX\FTX_NA\ and then re-install SAK. Hopefully that'll do the job.

If everything checks out also install the current SAK service pack and then the current Orbx Libraries, both available on our support page: http://www.fullterrain.com/support.html

Cheers, Holger

Hi Peter,

that's definitely weird. 

If everything checks out also install the current SAK service pack and then the current Orbx Libraries, both available on our support page: http://www.fullterrain.com/support.html

Cheers, Holger

Holger

The trains will appear correct sometimes, and at other times the same train at the same location is staggered.

But I have another problem: The elevation of the terrain around lakes and rivers. The water and the terrain seem to be at the same level. There is no embankment visible.

This screenprint shows how the nice bridge at Carcross YT is at its correct hight above the river, but the terrain is not.

zr03.jpg

Peter

Quite probably.  Place the third party mesh at a lower priority than SAK, or disable it, and try again.

Thanks Jon, I will try to find out if it makes a change.

But then, there is something else that is bothering me, and here I suspect there is no software problem but a omission by the creators:

Seaplane docks:

There is not a single dock at Whitehorse, which has more seaplane traffic than any other town in the Yukon, and neither is there one in Atlin BC (Atlin has two in real life). And in the hamlet of Bennett (BC), there are two errors:

First, the dock they put here does not exist in real life, planes just beach there, and second, there are many cars and a bus parked at the railway station, where in real life there is no access road to this place. Access is by rail and floatplane.

Peter

Hi Peter,

thanks for the feedback. As it happens I was just working on the next service pack for SAK today and added some representative marina/seaplane base objects at both Whitehorse and Atlin; see attached screenshots. Hope that improves the situation a bit.

Cheers, Holger

post-375-0-28889400-1393549540_thumb.jpg

post-375-0-13487800-1393549549_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter,

Hope that improves the situation a bit.

Cheers, Holger

Holger,

Thanks a lot for your great work. If you have not released the final fix files yet, you might want to add the service building and office at Whitehorse Schwatka Lake of Alpine Aviation. They have a unique little tower that gives them a view over the base. That is the long dock in the left of your picture. I think I have a photo if you are interested. And thanks for removing the cars and dock in Bennett BC. There are some more building near the rail station, otherwise it's fine.

The bridge problem at Carcross persists, and must be in the SAK files, as I have no other mesh under this one.

I fly in this scenery because I am a great fan of the area.

Peter

Peter, is your mesh resolution set to 5m, and mesh complexity 100?  Have you reinstalled SAK as Holger suggested?

Peter, is your mesh resolution set to 5m, and mesh complexity 100?  Have you reinstalled SAK as Holger suggested?

Bingo, Jon.

I had set the mesh resolution higher, as I had (thought I had) read somewhere that your mesh is 20 metres. The cars are back where they belong, and for the bridges there is a ramp now. Even the trains look like being in a neat line.

Just for fun, not complaining, a small detail I found in Skagway, though.

Car traffic runs straight off the land and continues into the bay for a couple hundred metres before diappearing.

But your SAK looks great with all sliders to the Max.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Archived