Squawks for older radiuos

Bassman

Hi Guys

Got all set up at Nassau, got good coms with a very patient gentleman on Nassau Centre however when he gave me my squawk code I looked all over my DC-4 radio (modelled on DC-3) and could not find any way to squawk a code.

Was I looking for something that was not there????

Dan

What are you doing in CTA without a transponder Dan?  ;D Mate I've always just said "Negative Transponder" to the controller and kept trucking on through!  You could get fancy and add the transponder as a guage to the aircraft, so it "pops up". I remember someone having done this on a Tassie Tigers online flight in an old tigermoth. I'm sure someone here could tell you how if you wanted to..

Cheers, Steve.

If you're using an online client such as FSInn you can set the transponder code with a dot command, e.g. ".x 1234", and then squawk mode C with the FSInn control panel. I'm pretty sure that Squawkbox has the same feature. Not quite as convenient as dialling it up on the radio panel, but it overcomes the problem in non-transponder equipped aircraft.

This document may help:

www.virtualvfr.com/content/training/tips_files/Using%20your%20Transponder.pdf

Greg

Thanks Greg, I should have known that good old VirtualVFR site would have the answer.

Hi Steve, must be lots of classic aircraft landing at the smaller "Int'l" airports in the Bahamas and Carribean

like DC-3's and DC-4's not fitted with transponders; then again these days they would most likely have up to date radio systems of course. Anyway, with Greg's advice I wont get into trouble with ATC. Thanks for your replys guys.

Cheers

Dan

Archived