- Greetings from Melbourne -

Mango, These shots are truly stuning, and instantly identifyable. The last shot from the beach especialy, it gave me chills. Who needs to fly when this is the simulator quality... Wow!!!

2 questions.

Are the custom buildings in the cbd ftx or voz x?

Also as far as you know are the ga airfields pack going to be bundled with the ftx blue release?

I cannot express how absolutely excited I am for this upcoming release.  The screenshots in this thread are truly the most realistic shots I have ever seen.  I cannot possibly imagine how any future versions of MSFS can surpass the visuals presented with FTX.  Perhaps in 10 years.  FTX is truly ahead of its time.  Thanks so much to John and his team.

Skorpion,,

The freeways haven't been 'edited' into the picture via a paint program if that is what you mean? They are a different colour because the bridge and overfly models that are being called are a slightly different colour to the textures for the roads.

Care to explain what overfly models are?

These are beta shots. Most of the textures you're seeing in most screenshots (apart from the ground textures) are placeholders and will be replaced. That includes buildings, roads, trees; the lot.

Oki Doki I wasn't sure if my eyes was seeing different colour than everyone else so it stood out more but that explains it then.

John,

What sort of changes to textures for buildings,roads, and trees are anticipated.  Looking forward to whatever you and your team put together as I am sure it will be excellent.  Thanks.

Hi Mike,

Well the roads are a hodge-podge at the moment, cobbled together by me using some placeholder textures, without any real consistency. So those need a makeover.

The CBD buildings will be re-skinned. We have hundreds of photos we've taken that we can draw upon for the new textures. I am trying to create a balance between old world classic architecture and the new modern inner city feel (combination of apartment living and modern office blocks). Then we will add lots of shop fronts and retail buildings at the lower levels.

The housing too will get an upgrade. We create houses using complex multiple shapes, so we've been able to get total control of the roof textures to facilitate that method. That means less variety in the side textures of each house, but we're going to create old-world inner urban (californian bungalow, 50's architecture etc) and then new-world modern brick veneer in the 'burbs.

Then the industrial estates will get a facelift too. Again, we've taken lots of photos so have plenty of resources there. We also need to create new roof textures for CBD, industrial and houses. Right now there is far too much red house roofing in the region, so we'll tone that back.

Last but not least, we have a whole bunch of custom autogen gmax models in the urban areas, for schools, sporting clubs, shopping centres, gymns etc. Those will need to be textured as well.

So not a trivial task, and I will be starting on that texturing work this weekend. I am 95% done with the annotation so we are in good shape to do the final texturing work while Matt is doing the seasonal recolouring for the ground textures. Summer is already in beta testers' hands, winter by Monday (fingers crossed).

We are working like demons to make our advertised Feb launch date, but if we miss it by a week I won't lose any sleep, and the product will be better off for it anyway ;)

"SkOrPn--7"  why do you have to whinge and whine so much? just wait till these guys finish their stuff, it is called you get what you are are given!

Ummm, I have this strange feeling in my water that its not going to be much of an issue anymore...  :o

John,

Thanks for your answers.  Your and your team seem to have thought of everything and I am truly impressed.  I have a couple of follow up questions that I hope you can answer.

In FSX, lakes and rivers appear to be textures that lie on top of the ground textures, which to me creates an inaccurate representation.  Are there any plans, or is there any way to have lakes and rivers appear that they are a bit below or sunken into the ground texture so the body of water looks like it has river or lake banks.

Is there a way to add a water reflective characteristic to the roads so when the weather is rainy, the roads reflect similar to how the runways look when it rains.

In regards to trees, FSX seems to display just copies of the exact same tree in a scene.  Will FTX display more of a variety of trees for a scene?

Will the brightness on the ground change based on cloud conditions?  Not talking about cloud shadows, but if it is cloudy and overcast, will the ground look the same as if it were sunny.

Last, you mentioned in another thread that ftx will contain an sdk that will allow developers to create objects to place in the sim.  I am not too technically oriented but the thought of creating and placing objects interests me a great deal.  Will a non-developer be able to do this and will the tool allow the user to place the object easily, and can the newly created scenery be shared with the community?

John, I cannot express in words how incredible this product is looking.  Simply amazing.  Many thanks to you and your team.

John,

Thanks for your answers.  Your and your team seem to have thought of everything and I am truly impressed.  I have a couple of follow up questions that I hope you can answer.

In FSX, lakes and rivers appear to be textures that lie on top of the ground textures, which to me creates an inaccurate representation.  Are there any plans, or is there any way to have lakes and rivers appear that they are a bit below or sunken into the ground texture so the body of water looks like it has river or lake banks.

Is there a way to add a water reflective characteristic to the roads so when the weather is rainy, the roads reflect similar to how the runways look when it rains.

In regards to trees, FSX seems to display just copies of the exact same tree in a scene.  Will FTX display more of a variety of trees for a scene?

Will the brightness on the ground change based on cloud conditions?  Not talking about cloud shadows, but if it is cloudy and overcast, will the ground look the same as if it were sunny.

Last, you mentioned in another thread that ftx will contain an sdk that will allow developers to create objects to place in the sim.  I am not too technically oriented but the thought of creating and placing objects interests me a great deal.  Will a non-developer be able to do this and will the tool allow the user to place the object easily, and can the newly created scenery be shared with the community?

John, I cannot express in words how incredible this product is looking.  Simply amazing.  Many thanks to you and your team.

Lakes and rivers are placed at ground level according to the elevations of the mesh being used. This of course means that if you have a decent mesh addon (and Orbx will be providing a freeware 90m SRTM based mesh on the FTX website), that lakes with steep banks will be depressed into the ground, as will rivers.

Rain reflective road textures is something we have not thought about, and we're not sure if the SDK supports it. Worth looking into, but I suspect that function is unique to airport tarmac and only if they conform to the synthetic (i.e. non-photoreal) textures of default airports.

Trees in FSX (as in FS9) are varied according to the annotation adopted. We have chosen to use only 4 native eucalyptus tree cells, which will mean repetition, but better performance (less textures being loaded in bushland). That said, the 4 cells we are using is a 50% improvement over the default FSX which only uses 2 cells for eucalypts. The trees you see in the beta shots are still only placeholder trees from VOZ. We are creating brand new trees for release.

Ground terrain texture do vary in lightness according to the time of day, but the degree of hue change is very coarse and tends to be only in hourly increments. To create changes based on cloud cover, light conditions and other environmental factors is beyond the function of the engine. One approach is to load custom sets of textures but this is unweildy, will lead to huge HD storage requirements and defragmentation on your HD which will adversly affect performance.

The SDK is currently a "closed doors" program only aimed at the current VOZ and VSX development teams. To use the FTX SDK, first apply to the VOZ forums to be a tester or developer, learn the ropes about scenery and/or airport design there, and then you will be able to participate in the FTX SDK Program.

Hope that answers your questions Mike?

Jeez guys, you both should be working for ASIO or some other intelligence service given how well you decoded that comment... Sensational stuff, now back to work testing or developing or whatever else you guys are doing  :D  :D  :D  The wait is killing me...

Cheers  ;D

Archived