SAK Elevation error in the distance!

seby.h

Hello everyone,

Only when I fly in FTX SAK I get this error, in the distance the terrain elevations are higher or wrong and as I get closer they change to what they should be. In the screen shots below you can see what I am talking about.

in this first screen you see a wall in the coastline and glacier.

Rz5lD.jpg

And now you don't see a wall wall in the coast line and glacier but a smoothly going up glacier. NOTE the wall terrain has just moved back b bit!

HoD1G.jpg

Hi there,

I suspect you have another terrain mesh file active that's compiled at the same or higher resolution (LOD). If that's the case then FSX may load it for the mid- to far-distance display while loading the correct SAK files for the near distance. If there are major differences in their respective elevation points then those "moving cliffs" appear. The issue is most noticeable on glaciers because their rapid melting means that older terrain data give them way too much bulk and length. For example, both the FSGenesis US terrain mesh and the Ultimate Alaska mesh give the Mendenhall Glacier near Juneau the elevation profile it had a few decades ago while the SAK mesh better portraits the current situation. However, both FSG and UTAK mesh files are compiled at the same LOD as the SAK mesh files meaning as long as SAK has higher display priority there won't be any "moving cliffs".

Make sure you don't have any terrain mesh file in your scenery library menu above the FTX block of entries. If that isn't the case or moving them doesn't make a difference then you may need to temporarily deactivate those mesh files while flying within SAK.

Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,

Thanks for the help. I found my UT Alaska X Mesh had become separated from the main UT Alaska scenery library entries. I have now moved the UT Alaska X Mesh down below FTX and its now with the rest of the UT Alaska files. I AM VERY HAPPY TO REPORT that FTX Southern Alaska is now working perfectly.

Thank you again.

Archived