Installation sequence and FTX Central

Scott B

Thank you all for what you do.

I recently purchased and installed some new airports, free airports, region patches and latest libraries and started getting FTX Central errors (I've read about the "FSX folder read-only" fix, among other things) not to mention large, strange looking FTX Central icons. I also encountered some issues with KJAC graphics.  I've never encountered errors before so I'm assuming it was somehow due to this particular installation process or sequence. Maybe I should have installed one, tested it, then installed another. Question is, which and how?

I ghosted my hard drive prior to the installs and I am about to revert back to that state and try it all again in hopes of avoiding errors this time. Here is what I want to install:

- ORBX FTX NA BLUE Pacific Northwest (PNW) Service Pack 6 & 7

- FTX Global Freeware Airports NA Packs 4, 5, 6, & 7

- OG39 Longview Ranch

- KJAC Jackson Hole

- Libraries 131215

Here is my FTX Central report just prior to the above installs:

FTX AA ORBX LIBRARIES VER 131027 27th October 2013
FTX CA CBB7 TIPELLA  AIRPORT 1.00 JULY 2013
FTX CAN CEJ4 CLARESHOLM INDUSTRIAL VERSION 2.00

FTX CAN CEN4 HIGH RIVER REGIONAL AIRPORT VERSION 2.10
FTX GLOBAL BASE PACK - Version 1.20 December 2013
FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 1 - September 2013
FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 2 - September 2013
FTX GLOBAL FREEWARE AIRPORTS NORTH AMERICA PACK 3 - October 2013
FTX NA 7WA3 West Wind Airfield Version 1.00
FTX NA CRM Central Rocky Mountains V1.00 Patch 002 September 2013

FTX NA GA AI TRAFFIC V1.10 December 2012
FTX NA KHQM BOWERMAN AIRPORT VERSION 1.0
FTX NA NRM Northern Rocky Mountains V1.00 PATCH 003 August 2013
FTX NA PFJ Pacific Fjords V1.0 Patch 003 November 2012

FTX NA PNW PACIFIC NORTHWEST V1.0 PATCH 005 March 27th 2012

FTX openLC Base Region Version 1.10 - September 2013

FTX openLC Europe Region 1 (Baltics Demo) Version 1.10 - September 2013

FTX openLC North America Region 1 Version 1.00 - September 2013

FTX US 1S2 Darrington Muni Airport Version 1.1 - April 2011
FTX US 1WA6 Fall City Airport Version 1.2 - November 2011
FTX US 2S1 VASHON ISLAND VERSION 1.1 - June 2010
FTX US 3W5 Concrete AIRPORT VERSION 1.1 - April 2011
FTX US KBZN Bozeman International Airport VERSION 1.0 September 2013
FTX US KWYS WEST YELLOWSTONE AIRPORT VERSION 1.10 NOV 2012
FTX US S43 Harvey Field Airport VERSION 1.1 May 2012
FTX US W16 Monroe First Air Version 1.0 May 2012
FTX US WA79 WALTER SUTTON'S VERSION 1.1 - April 2011
ORBX FTX BOB FIRST PERSON MODE VERSION 1.1 JULY 2010

To avoid errors, does the sequence below look about right? Can this process be simplified? Would you mind explaining how each should be installed?

1: Set FTX Central to North America. Install PNW Service Pack 6. Install the latest libraries. Test.

2: Set FTX Central to North America. Install PNW Service Pack 7. Install the latest libraries again. Test.

3: Set FTX Central to Global. Install FTX Global Freeware Airports NA Packs 4, 5, 6, and 7.  Install the latest libraries again after each and test.

4: Set FTX Central to North America. Install OG39 Longview Ranch. Install the latest libraries again and test.

5: Set FTX Central to North America. Install KJAC Jackson Hole. Note: The KJAC installation wizard indicates I "must" install the latest CRM patch "after" the installation. Is that necessary?  If so, re-install the both CRM patches. 

6: Set FTX Central to Global and install Libraries 131215 yet again, and test.

Sorry for the long post but, I don't request help very often.

Thank you.

Hi Buckster,

the sequence looks about right except that you don't have to re-install the libraries each time, just once at the end will do. The reason for that is that none of the service packs and add-ons you're planning to install contain copies (and thus potentially outdated versions) of the libraries and other Orbx core files.

One other tip is to make sure to run all three .exe files of the KJAC installer in sequence. It's the only addon we have that has three separate installers and it's not specifically mentioned in the manual, if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Holger 

Thank you Holger.  The only reason I considered installing the libraries after each was to determine which install caused the FTX Central errors through process of elimination and testing of each.

In regards to KJAC:  Is it necessary to "re-install" the latest CRM patches "after" installing KJAC as the setup-wizard requires?  Or does that instruction only apply if you haven't already installed the CRM patches?  As you can see in my FTX Central report, the CRM patches were installed well before purchasing KJAC.  In my initial installation of KJAC, I did not re-install those CRM patches.  Maybe I should have.  It seems counter-intuitive.  Perhaps I read it wrong. 

After your advice on KJAC, I will try it all again soon and report back. 

Thanks again.

Thanks Alex.  That makes sense.  Older airport setup instructions can be a little confusing at times.  I'm sure it's difficult to work out compatibility instructions for each set of scenery installs.  Part of the problem is that I don't fully understand what files are being over written and what files may or may not impact previous installations.  I just sort of click-and-hope. :-)  I'm too far down this Orbx rabbit hole to not be cautious!  I'm guessing that if I had re-installed the CRM patches after installing KJAC (as the setup-wizard instructs), that would have been OK too.  In this particular instance, it was the FTX Central errors that threw me and they may be unrelated. Hopefully the FTX Central error will go away. Thanks again.  Really do appreciate the effort and fun you all provide. 

Archived