FTX Global problem Trees in the water again after complete FSX and FTX install

PeteBest

Hi Guys

Im prepared to try a complete FSX install once again but before I do I would appreciate someone from Support Please updating the Complete install sequence for all the products inclusive of  Global and Vector which I don't think is an unreasonable request given the investment a lot of us have put into the products, which I think are great - when they are finally installed and operating correctly

I have searched the forums and found a number of guides with varying degrees of completeness but none up to date. There are a number of other purchasers who have also requested the same with no response to date that I have found.

As you can see from my past posts I ended up with trees and houses in the water after installing FTX Global - In the end I gave up trying to rectify the problem and formatted the drive and purchased a new copy of FSX Acceleration and installed patched and defragged as I went. I left FSX in its standard form and installed all my add on aircraft - every thing good.

The next install was REX4 Direct still everything OK. I had opened FSX and flown after each install. Getting a bit more confident I decided to install FTX Global first this time and then install the regions on top which was the reverse of how I did it the first time. Installed Global100, 110 and 120 everything still OK. I then reinstalled NZ SI along with the service packs and latest Library each time all good - reinstalled NZMF everything OK.

I came back to YMRY and flew a few flights out of there testing some control settings still all ok. I then installed FTXRegion 4 Blue, the service packs and library and when I reopened FSX for a fly we were back to trees in the ocean..................

I have tried deleting first FTX Region Blue with no result then NZSI and finally all ORBX products but it seems the FSX has been corrupted as the trees are still in the water.

Before anyone asks why I didn't back up as I went I thought I was - I created restore points (or so I thought) but apparently there is a bug in Win7 I wasn't aware of until of course I went to do a restore.The only other item that may be germain is that when reinstalling all the products I wasn't asked to reenter my registration details so there must have been registry entries still there?

The long and short of it is can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and before I do another complete FSX reinstall -the correct sequence. As I had all the products working fine without trees before Global install with no other add ons after that I can only point the finger at Global. Your Help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers Pete

My guess is you might be running into a permissions problem.  Just a guess though.

Is your FSX folder located in the Program Files folder, which is the FSX default path?  I've read that if your UAC isn't set to the optimum this can cause files to not be written etc.

I have every ORBX scenery installed as per the installers, with no tweaking of scenery.cfgs etc, and all mine work perfectly.  My FSX path is simply C:\FSX.

If your FSX path is the default I would recommend changing it to something more like mine.  Also it might pay to google how to set your folders for maximum accessibility under the UAC, ie fully shared widest possible permissions set etc.

Of course this entire post might be on the wrong track in which case someone else will need to add their expertise!

Hi John

Not a permissions issue Im afraid, I run everything as the administrator and ticked all the permission boxes under UAC and FSX is installed by itself on "D" drive. The strange thing is in the time between my first post and now I have cleaned the registry of anything with FTX in it and copied my backup of the FSX world texture file made before installing Global back into FSX yet the trees and houses are still in the water. 

I have also just finished a repair of FSX Gold and Acceleration and they are still there so unless some one in Support can come up with an answer it looks like another Format and clean install and this time it will definitely Not include Global until it gets sorted out.

In regard to tweaks the only one I have is HIMEMFIX and every thing was running locked at 30FPS average before whatever happened.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply - cheers Pete

PS you mention you have every ORBX scenery installed as per the installers - which installers?? 

Hi John,

I've been having the same problem after installing Tasmania. Everything worked fine until that point. I read where Ed suggested using the original terrain.cfg file which he provided a copy. If you do a search, you should be able to find that thread.

Doing research in this forum over the past few days I have found numerous instances of similar problems without any real solution?

Billy

Hi Pete, by installers I mean the standard install provided with each ORBX scenery.  I just tick tick tick whatever is on the install screen and then start FSX and let the new database be built and the go fly.  I have on odd occasions installed a few scenery packages before starting FSX and haven't noted any problems.

I do have FSX installed on the C Drive however, because it's the SSD and speed is of the essence.  All other programs that I install go to my D Drive.  C Drive is only used by Windows and FSX and a few minor programs that don't offer an install option.

If you have the time, and are going to re-install, can you install FSX to your  C Drive, then load a few ORBX programs and Global?  I'd be interested to know if it makes any difference.  Mine runs so faultlessly at C:\FSX that I can't imagine what is causing these global problems for users.  Detective work needed and as a lot of detectives will tell you, most investigations are pure slog and no fun.

Giday Ronski - Mate your a legend - thanks for that link, its fixed the problem.

It still leaves the mystery of what corrupted it twice now but thanks to you I'm back to where I was. It was interesting to note that my old terrain.cfg file was 299kb and the replacement terrain file that fixed the problem was 351kb so instead of having data added it appears that some was ripped out which in my experience is a bit unusual?

Anyway I intend to mirror my FSX drive which will give me a fall back position. Ill then install and backup prior to each subsequent install. I've been up in the big smoke for a few days and had resigned myself to the whole reinstall saga but luckily checked the forum when I got home this arvo before going straight to the format button ;-(.

Once again mate thanks for the heads up - Hope you get some relief real soon from the weather and terrible fires.

Cheers Pete

Hi Pete, by installers I mean the standard install provided with each ORBX scenery.  I just tick tick tick whatever is on the install screen and then start FSX and let the new database be built and the go fly.  I have on odd occasions installed a few scenery packages before starting FSX and haven't noted any problems.

I do have FSX installed on the C Drive however, because it's the SSD and speed is of the essence.  All other programs that I install go to my D Drive.  C Drive is only used by Windows and FSX and a few minor programs that don't offer an install option.

If you have the time, and are going to re-install, can you install FSX to your  C Drive, then load a few ORBX programs and Global?  I'd be interested to know if it makes any difference.  Mine runs so faultlessly at C:\FSX that I can't imagine what is causing these global problems for users.  Detective work needed and as a lot of detectives will tell you, most investigations are pure slog and no fun.

Hi John

Mate thanks for the reply and info, much appreciated. As you will see from my reply to Ronski just after yours he has saved me having to do the reinstall and from loosing what was left of my hair so Im afraid the only detective work I hope to have to carry out will be if Global does it again - but this time Ill be able to step back - that's the Theory anyway :-

Cheers Pete

Archived