Ok, so I just need to buy a graphics card, GTX 780... What will I be able to expect from my build in FSX?

Mac_Maddog88

The day is approaching me fast.

In a matter of weeks I'll have a GTX 780, then, my rig/ frankenbuild will be alive!

Just gonna do a run-down of my parts!

CPU: i7 4770K @ 3.9 GHz

GPU: GTX 780 3GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB DDR3 9-10-9-27

HDD: WD Black 1TB HDD

SSD: Samsung EVO 120 GB

MOBO: Asus z87 Plus

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition

PSU: Corsair Gold Rated 850W

And a cheap CD drive

Just wondering, at 3.9 GHz on turboboost, what could I expect from this rig? 

I won't be running any traffic/ Will run it if I can sacrafise the FPS

Autogen and Scenery all the way/ Almost all the way up

ORBX scenery and airports such as Brisbane, Canberra, etc

And aircraft like the NGX, DC9, etc

And with the Haswell running as hot as it does, do I have room to overclock?

Kinda pressed on time ATM, so will explain some more things for those who want to/ wish to know.

Thanks

Mac

Mac,

That's a monster build. You'll be fine. In fact, you should just make the jump to P3Dv2. Forget FSX.

You shouldn't have any problems overclocking your CPU to at least 4.5 GHz. I OC'd my Ivy Bridge CPU (first time ever) and it was insanely easy. Also, I would considered the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler. It's cheaper than the Noctua and gets better ratings. I use it on my rig and it is very effective.

Todd

Oh, I also recommend splurging for a 256 GB or even a 450 GB SSD. Those are super cheap nowadays. The Crucial M500 gets solid reviews. You can put both your OS and FSX or P3D on that drive and use the HDD as a backup/storeage drive. No defrag required!

Todd

YESSS!

I'm gonna have so much fun!

@twharrel, I already own the NHD14. I just don't want to go the route of water since I have several friends who's coolers leaked. From what I've read the NHD14 is as close as you can get to liquid cooling.

@Bladderboy, that's a relief that you can fly so smooth with a nearly equal setup as mine. 

Darn you all, before I read these replies, I thought,"Ehh, new FS computer, I'll be able to fly some more complex planes without overclocking, these thoughts have turned into,"Can't... wait.. for new... computer". Thanks to you guys for the replies here!

Does anybody know if any of aerosoft's aircraft work in P3D V2, such as the PBY or Seabee?

I'll switch to P3D V2 when planes from:

Aerosoft

PMDG

Coolsky

Captainsim

Milviz

, all work in P3D V2. Isn't PMDG working on versions of their planes for P3D? I especially want the DC9 and 707, both two of my favorite aircraft.

Thanks for yer help!

-Mac

The Hyper 212 Evo is also an air cooler. But since you already own the Noctua, of course don't change. Both do a fine job, equaling tbd cooling ability of many water cooling units.

As for aircraft in P3Dv2, there is a nice aircraft compatibility list stickied on AVSIM. The only Aerosoft aircraft I own is the Twin Otter Extended and it works just fine in v2. Some MilViz aircraft work and some don't. I have the C310 and it works 100%. PMDG is working on v2 installers for their addons, which will likely cost extra. I don't know about the others.

Todd

The Hyper 212 Evo is also an air cooler. But since you already own the Noctua, of course don't change. Both do a fine job, equaling tbd cooling ability of many water cooling units.

As for aircraft in P3Dv2, there is a nice aircraft compatibility list stickied on AVSIM. The only Aerosoft aircraft I own is the Twin Otter Extended and it works just fine in v2. Some MilViz aircraft work and some don't. I have the C310 and it works 100%. PMDG is working on v2 installers for their addons, which will likely cost extra. I don't know about the others.

Todd

Perfect news, mind sending me that list?

How many Meters is the default mesh in P3DV2? I was thinking of Global and vector for the US for the purpose of airline flights in Florida; most notable intl airports in Florida have been done except my old home Daytona :(

The Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended and their Bronco work just find for me. An easy way to see if an aircraft will work. Go to an on-line store and search under their PSD aircraft selection. If it is for sale, it should work. 

The NH-D14 is among the top air coolers and absolutely essential for overclocking Haswell due to the amount of heat it puts out. As for overclocking, it depends on the chip. Some do 4.7 - 4.8 GHz easily while others barely break 4.2 GHz. Not much you can do about it, just hope you're lucky in the silicon lottery.

My issue with P3D v2 is that none of the OrbX regions or airports are officially supported. Since I spend 99% of my flying time within those regions, that makes the sim rather uninteresting right now, no matter how cool the realtime shadows and volumetric fog look.

The day is approaching me fast.

In a matter of weeks I'll have a GTX 780, then, my rig/ frankenbuild will be alive!

Just gonna do a run-down of my parts!

CPU: i7 4770K @ 3.9 GHz

GPU: GTX 780 3GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB DDR3 9-10-9-27

HDD: WD Black 1TB HDD

SSD: Samsung EVO 120 GB

MOBO: Asus z87 Plus

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition

PSU: Corsair Gold Rated 850W

And a cheap CD drive

Just wondering, at 3.9 GHz on turboboost, what could I expect from this rig? 

I won't be running any traffic/ Will run it if I can sacrafise the FPS

Autogen and Scenery all the way/ Almost all the way up

ORBX scenery and airports such as Brisbane, Canberra, etc

And aircraft like the NGX, DC9, etc

And with the Haswell running as hot as it does, do I have room to overclock?

Kinda pressed on time ATM, so will explain some more things for those who want to/ wish to know.

Thanks

Mac

that 4770k will run easy at 4.2 ghz, on my msi board i just changed the turbo boost from 3.9 to 4.2ghz and sits nice and cool at 26c at idle and maxes around 60c, that will give you a pretty good boost in fsx or p3d, nice rig anyway have fun putting it together, i cant wait for the haswell refresh coming up, it will still work on the z87 motherboards and suppose to have a 40% increase in performance on a 14 nm die shrink. i am pretty sure the z97 is gonna be ddr4 ram, so we are gonna be looking at some pretty good improvements the next couple years.my 4770k will run at 4.4 ghz but it tops 85c so i kept it turned down to 4.2ghz

that 4770k will run easy at 4.2 ghz, on my msi board i just changed the turbo boost from 3.9 to 4.2ghz and sits nice and cool at 26c at idle and maxes around 60c, that will give you a pretty good boost in fsx or p3d, nice rig anyway have fun putting it together, i cant wait for the haswell refresh coming up, it will still work on the z87 motherboards and suppose to have a 40% increase in performance on a 14 nm die shrink. i am pretty sure the z97 is gonna be ddr4 ram, so we are gonna be looking at some pretty good improvements the next couple years.my 4770k will run at 4.4 ghz but it tops 85c so i kept it turned down to 4.2ghz

DDR4 already?!

Damn it! Just as I get DDR3 RAM!

Looking at Haswell refresh, it doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. 

What CPU Cooler do you use for your Haswell? 85c is kind of high for a clock such as that. I imagine it is just because of the "Silicon lottery", if you will.

Not to say that 4.2 GHz isn't enough for FS, it's what I myself am hoping to achieve. 

And howdo you go about raising the turbo to 4.2? I'd rather do that than straight-up overclock.

DDR4 already?!

Damn it! Just as I get DDR3 RAM!

Looking at Haswell refresh, it doesn't seem to be that much of a difference. 

What CPU Cooler do you use for your Haswell? 85c is kind of high for a clock such as that. I imagine it is just because of the "Silicon lottery", if you will.

Not to say that 4.2 GHz isn't enough for FS, it's what I myself am hoping to achieve. 

And howdo you go about raising the turbo to 4.2? I'd rather do that than straight-up overclock.

depends on what board you have but on my msi board i can just go into cpu settings and change the turbo ration on each core from auto which is 3.9 ghz to 4.2, my cooler is a corsair h110, the good news about the haswell refresh it's suppose to be 40% faster and still work on the current haswell boards, but we will wait and see on that.i seen a large majority of 4770k's are stable at 4.6 ghz, i am either doing something wrong or my chip just won't do it.

Archived