FSX crash during winter season

vgb

FSX stops running and exits when I start or fly in regions of Southern Europe (Greece, Italy, Spain)!! Probably between specific latitudes. This happens during winter season only!!!  Do someone else experience the same? I recently installed the latest version of  FSUIPC4 (version 4.927a). May this related to the problem?

After some search in the various forums, I realized that what I am getting is a "Seasonal CTD" and may be related to the terrain.cfg file. I have installed both updates of FTX Global. It is possible to roll back just in order to check if the problem is related to the updates?

Thanks

Can someone please give me some help with my problem?

I saw in another post in the forum "Crash during startup" that was a question about FSDT add on. Well, yes I am running GSX, but I cannot see any relation to the season. Is it possible that some .bgl files are missing?

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please respond?

BTW I noticed that the crash happens when I try to get inside a much bigger geographical region. Roughly it extends from Spain to the west to Istanbul to the east, and a bit northern than Gibraltar  up to a bit South of Vienna. Seems to me that the crash happen within some kind of geographic tile in the terrain files. Again I mention that the crash happens only during the winter season.

Hi there,

"seasonal CTDs" with landclass/ground texture add-ons often happened in FS9 because as little as a single missing or corrupted texture file would cause the sim to crash. FSX is much more stable in that regard and I've never heard of a seasonal CTD for these kinds of add-ons. Much more likely is a crash due to some objects or AI issues at specific airports; if CTDs are limited to specific times it could be flightplan related or something to do with seasonal display of object. Thus, I'd start the search by temporarily deactivating all local add-on scenery in the area of the crash. This includes any kind of airport corrections placed by third-party AI traffic add-ons, mesh add-ons, etc, as well as the generic "Addon Scenery" folder. If the crashes go away re-activate those entries one by one or in small groups until you find the culprit. 

Something else to use for testing are the display sliders and checkboxes, including effects, autogen, scenery density, AI sliders, etc. Checking these in isolation can help narrow down the type of file(s) involved.

Last but not least it always helps to look in Windows' event viewer what module actually caused the CTDs.

FTX Global comes with an uninstaller so you can use that to temporarily revert to the default textures (provided you used the backup option during the initial installation).

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger,

Thank you very much for the advises. I'll check them and I'll post the results.

Regarding the FS9, I realized it by searching the net, and I was quite puzzled. Concerning the add-ons, I am using REX, GSX by FSDT, and I am not sure if the Scene4x is still installed in my computer (I used it in the past).

OK, as I said I'll check and let you know.

Again, thanks ::)

Cheers,

Vas

Hi, well I tried the configuration siders in FSX, but the result remained the same: FSX stops operation at about 27%.

In the event viewer the error appears as:

Faulting application fsx.exe

Faulting module unknown

Vas

Hello again,

Since the crash of the FSX appears during loading textures (at 27%) I guess that some winter textures of FTX Global are missing or they are damaged. How can I disable temporarily FTX Global/Vector?

Cheers,

Vas

Hi Vas,

if you let FTX Global make the backup of the default texture during initial installation then you can use the FTXG uninstaller tool (or manually switch between the current \Scenery \World\texture folder and the backup of it. If not your best bet is to re-install FTX Global on top of your current installation.

Cheers, Holger

Hello Holger,

OK, I manually switched between the current texture directory (with FTXG & Vector) and the original texture directory from the backup. Bingo! FSX loaded and run smoothly. So definitely something is missing/damaged in the FTXG files (probably is not Vector because the problem appeared before I installed Vector).

How do I proceed?

Cheers,

Vas

PS I forgot to mention that v1.1 and v1.2 are also installed in my computer.

Well you are right. It seems like that but as I said Global v1.1 and v1.2 are installed and Vector too. Upon all these I re-install the original Global files? Is it possible? I don't want to cause a mesh.

Vas

Hi Vas,

I'd install on top of your current installation, with the current libraries last. I'm still wondering though what might have caused the issue in the first place. You don't use any of those external texture conversion programs like Addon Converter or similar?

Cheers, Holger

No Holger, not at all. OK let me be sure. The re-installation will go like that:

(1) FTXG v1.00

(2) FTXG V1.10

(3) FTXG V1.20

(4) Vector v1.00

That's the correct order? And what about the Texture directory? Right now is the backup directory in place. Does it matter?

You see, I am trying to be cautious.

Cheers, Vas

Archived