FTX Global Freeware Airport Pack 5

Apologies for being a bit picky, but I would like to make a comment about an airport in Pack 5, CYZF Yellowknife, NWT.

While I am really satisfied with the whole Orbx experience, I wanted to make two comments about one of the airports in this pack.  CYZF, Yellowknife, NWT.

Two things stood out immediately.  The first are the airport lighting poles.  They seem to remain on 24/7, a bit unusual.  Also, they don't light up the ground area surrounding them at night.  Could this be an FSX issue?

The second comments is more about reality.  Many of us are familiar with Yellowknife from the TV reality show "Ice Pilots" and the fact that it is the home of Buffalo Airways, a very big presence at the airport.  I was a little surprised at the lack of a depiction of the Buffalo Airways hangar.  I really like the author's previous work, but I feel the hangar that is there doesn't do the airport file  justice.

Thanks,

Mike

Both your questions underline the main difference between an 'enhanced' airport created over a day or so -vs- a custom airport created over a 6-9 month period

Custom buildings are normally the domain of full blown airport addons as they must be created unique to the project, in the enhanced airports Neil makes use of the Orbx generic object library which allows him to pump out lots of different airports

Hi Mike,  Tim,

Tim is right in that I use the stock ORBX Lib objects so my airports will never be of photoreal quality.  If there is a better Yellowknife by all means use it, I will not be offended.  I use overhead Google Earth shots so I don't see who owns what, I do however try to pick hangers/buildings that are as close as I can tell to what the overall look and size is.

I'm sorry you are disappointed, I do the best I can.

Cheers, Neil

Neill,

Thank you very much for your replies.

I think the work that you do is fantastic.  I guess I was just expecting a bit more for the Buffalo Airways portion of the airport at Yellowknife and not realizing that your airports didn't go into that much detail.  I'm still up in the air as to whether I want to delete your airport and install a custom version....yours has  so much more detail on other parts of the airport which I like better.  What to do, what to do?

Keep up the great work.  It is much appreciated.

Archived