FTX Global Airport Pack -- KSBP slight elevation issue

PFS

One of the first freeware airports I visited was KSBP in California. There was a slight elevation issue there, and I was wondering if anyone else can confirm it.

I did a computer search for any non-Orbx "KSPB" files, but found none.

No other (non-Orbx) scenery products in that area.

(FTXGlobal, Vector, PILOT's FS Global Ultimate. Latest libraries.)

2013-12-29_14-36-34-26_zps5cb0a21c.png

2013-12-29_13-45-53-885_zps16e4cb29.png

Hi PFS, capt sl,

I have no issue here, I would suspect a mesh product is interfering.  I am using no outside mesh product, only stock FSX airport elevations which Vector replicates to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil,

at the product page of VECTOR is stated that VECTOR will correct all the default airport elevations to the real value (same with waterbodies). So it is recommended to use a mesh addon. Your freeware airports are great, but if we go one to use VECTOR with an mesh addon, might it be possible that you offer two versions of your packs? One default elevation, one VECTOR+mesh elavation?

Thanks!

Hi masterhawk,

Making 2 sets of airport files is not realistic nor, I hope, needed.  I use default FSX altitudes (and default mesh as well) plus now Vector for my airports and so far I haven't seen any major discrepancy's (give me an example if you have one).    Stephan did mention using altitudes that split the difference between high and low elevations on a given airport so there may be some that are out a bit but as I'm sure MS used published airport elevations for FSX they should be very close.  I use 5 mtr mesh resolution so any discrepancy's should show up pretty well but after spot checking a number of them I've seen no problems (that doesn't mean there are none, only that I haven't spotted any).

Cheers, Neil

Hi Neil,

I will look for an exampel. I think as long as you stay in north america all will be fine with default mesh. As far as I know microsoft used in america a good mesh. In the rest of the world it is really crappy. And microsoft used there airport elevations that match to their crappy (flat) mesh.

One of the first freeware airports I visited was KSBP in California. There was a slight elevation issue there, and I was wondering if anyone else can confirm it.

I did a computer search for any non-Orbx "KSPB" files, but found none.

No other (non-Orbx) scenery products in that area.

(FTXGlobal, Vector, PILOT's FS Global Ultimate. Latest libraries.)

2013-12-29_14-36-34-26_zps5cb0a21c.png

2013-12-29_13-45-53-885_zps16e4cb29.png

Hi, I see that you are - along with me - one of the unfortunate guys who spent a lot of money on FS Global Ultimates hoping in some big enhancement from FS Global 2010. Sadly, I found a lot of airports whose elevation has been to be fixed through Pilot's AFM. And not only this, sadly.

Archived