Elevation issues? Why! Vector should not have Mesh!

cvearl

Hi Jas,

I commented yesterday with a procedure for removing Vector through removing the library entries and deleting the folders. Bernd may have more advice to pick up straggler files but if you would like to disable Vector for the time being here is how:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/70495-uninstall-instructions/

Alex,

You're a legend mate. Cheers for that.

Have a great new year.

Jas

OK great that makes sense. Apologies to the devs if I sounded upset. I just thought I missed the "disable airport elevations option" when I installed VECTOR and was looking for someone to say... "click here". But I get it's not there right now and might not be realistic to add later.

We have indeed been spoilt by ORBX Full Fat regions. I think that anyone that started with full fat regions in this hobby and missed the whole "I need to add Texture+Mesh+Vector upgrades to default FSX tail chasing days" a number of years ago (GEX+UTX+Genesis or whatever) will be disappointed for a while until they understand the challenges (Roads cutting through buildings, airports at the top of plateaus, Rivers that run uphill, duplicate scenery objects sitting on top of each other) and how that will take months and months of patching to get most of it cleared up. Your communications help in this regard.

I remember 4 years ago I was new to FSX and stuck in that tail chasing mode and then along came ORBX and the Full Fat Region PNW arrived for NA. I never looked back. It was heaven. All the components tuned in harmony! Texture, Landclass, Mesh, Vector, retouched handmade airports in the hundreds and custom scenery objects hand crafted and placed "just so". Full Fat Regions are king. 

Then now... FTX Global comes. Hey. I can fly out of a region and not really have a glaring difference (at least at altitude) so that I can stomach the default scenery and land my plane somewhere outside the region. Then woohoo! here comes Vector and Mesh and oops! Flying outside my regions were back at it again dealing with the bugs and warts of it all once again. Sterile simple airports with no objects and buildings there, funny bugs. Weird Water and on and on.

However. I think Pilots and ORBX are onto something here and I think that you guys have a butt load of work ahead of you. I hope you keep at it because it is a positive result in the end. I can hardly wait for OpenLC. 

Full Fat Regions will be king forever though. Just can't live without fully retouched airports in the hundreds on hand crafted scenery but at least once this other stuff is tweaked, venturing out beyond the boundary's of these regions will be far less painful than before. :)

Common NCA region! It will keep me busy long enough for OpenLC and patched Vector to arrive.

Charles.

No Bernd, that´s not the message.

The message is, that ORBX as the Publisher and Pilots as the Developer missed it to make a clear statement that it is impossible to use Vector WITHOUT a external mesh Add On, not included in the Vector download.

There have be tons of screenshots, statements, advertising.

But not a single word like the need of FTX Global.

ORBX missed it to let the User decide if they want to install a 3´rd Party Mesh (witch may double the cost) BEFORE he click the "buy" Button.

This is the message!

ORBX messed it up this time, this is the dissapointment. because i belive, nobody had has expected that from ORBX.

I think, this is the most sad here, in my eyes ORBX lost a lot of their reputation in this case.

I think the above is correct on how the product was marketed. I don't think it damages Orbx reputation though. Their add-ons are excellent and their support is superb and this has been built up over a number of years and one hiccup won't spoil that.

However, I think more people will wait initially when a new "different" Orbx product comes out rather than buying straight away incase there are hidden gotchas. I am one of them.

I will probably buy Vector at some point in the future regardless of the issues raised here, but only when I am prepared to stump up for the mesh as well. Vector + mesh looks fantastic compared with default P3d.  At least I know what I will have to purchase by waiting.

I think the above is correct. Orbx has messed up here.  I don't think it damages Orbx reputation though. Their add-ons are excellent and their support is superb and this has been built up over a number of years and one hiccup won't spoil that.

However, I think more people will wait initially when a new "different" Orbx product comes out rather than buying straight away incase there are hidden gotchas. I am one of them.

P.S I have to say JV is right on one thing, some of the Orbx bashing on other forums is way over the top. I don't see much difference in how Orbx and other add-on developers operate.

As a GA guy that spends most of his time within site of the ground, I can promise you this. No ORBX.... No sim for me. Back to Racing online as a hobby 100%.

My own opinion (and were all entitled to one) is default scenery is BLEH to the power of 3. Photoreal is cool once you climb out past 3000 feet AGL. Below that is garbage and missing seasons for this most part. Most other platforms are not done yet (I'm looking at you XP10). Most other facelift add ons (Excluding REX) compared to ORBX Regions = Meh+Yawn. If I was big tin doing long haul (let the FMS do the flying)? Sure. I would not really care except at the KJFK's and KSFO's of the world. And there are add ons for that but the rest of the trip at 35000 feet, don't need to much down there below that's for sure. But I am not a tubeliner hobbyist.

I would like to thank ORBX for New Zealand, Australia, 5 states and 2 provinces in North America and the THOUSANDS of dressed up default airports contained within and to a lesser extent the detailed payware airports. Without them I would have been long gone by now. 

Charles.

As a GA guy that spends most of his time within site of the ground, I can promise you this. No ORBX.... No sim for me.

Without them I would have been long gone by now. 

Charles.

Agreed 100%

Archived