ST Lawrence River iced over

ve2dgz

This looks like "ICE". It should be clear water mostly. This was snapshot in "December", I have to revert to September to see water.

The ice texture is good, but its pertinence on the Stlawrence is nil.

Pierre

post-5389-0-28616200-1388168718_thumb.jp

post-5389-0-94850000-1388168730_thumb.jp

post-5389-0-01304600-1388168766_thumb.jp

I agree that while water bodies icing over in winter is realistic and welcome the function is rather clunky and doesn;t look too good when in New York City the Hudson is frozen with a large square edge sticking out into the bay at the river mouth.  Other rivers suddenly have a straight line across where the ice begins.

I think its very realistic and I hope that there is some type of switch for those that don't want it.    There are sections of the St. Lawrence that do freeze over in the winter, but I have to agree that the pictures that are posted seem like a large area where it was unlikely to have occurred.    Still, this is so much better than open blue water in the middle of the winter!  

There are no switches for this product, it has been explained already.

As to the comment "I think it is very realistic" honestly John I think you don't know what you're talking about.

I have worked for the Coast Guard for the past 35 years and I know my St-Lawrence. For your information, the section of the river below Quebec City does not ice over completely, the ice will mostly move according to the wind and the temperature of course. So you'll have large bands of open water but the situation is very dynamic and I don't think "Vector" will implement that. We are better off without ice textures.

For the section Quebec City to Montreal, it is different somewhat: less open water, narrow channel. It would ice over but commercial navigation and icebreaker services are busy all winter long and keep the channel opened. Again, I don't think Vector will model that. It is much better to keep it open water.

However, there are other areas that would benefit an ice cover, if someone at "Global" is interested I would give the team a few hints of locations that could get the ice coverage (up to the Great Lakes)

Pierre

My comment of the ice being realistic applies to the overall addition to the Vector program, not specifically "your" St. Lawrence.    All I was trying to say is that the entire span of the St. Lawrence is not open water, with 35 years of experience I would have thought you would have known that, perhaps your job was behind a desk, looking out at the water from a small window.    

Archived