nHancer graphic display and SLI

Hotspot

For what it may be worth to those interested in SLI, while fiddling around I noticed that nHancer has an inbuilt (selectable) graphic display ribbon which sits vertically on the left of the screen and indicates by it's varying length how much SLI is involved in compiling the picture (yes - its only taken me three months to sus it out  ::)).

After some experiment with various localities, times, speeds, aircraft and manoeuvres, it has become apparent that the percentage of work done by the second card (on my setup) is determined by the amount of dark textures on the aircraft in use, and appears to not relate to the scenery in any significant degree.

For example in spot view, a white or silver aircraft shows from zero to about 20%; a white winged, dark coloured fuse shows 15 to 40%; while a completely painted dark aircraft will show from 30 to 90%. The amount also varies as the spot is panned around the aircraft, depending on the ratio of light to dark texture visible to the eye.

'So what?' -- I heard someone say, and indeed, although I can't enlighten anyone as to it's signifigance, I'll record it here as an observation for the IT giants to explain.  :D

That is very interesting...does it indicate what the first card is working on? Also, did you notice if there was any decrease in performance overall in SLI, with that second card working.

G'day Sniper,

The green ribbon fluctuates in length between nothing and full depth of the screen, with no measurement scale visible, so my percentages are estimations of the percentage of full length visible, so it is not quantifiable. When the ribbon shrinks to nothing, the simulator of course is still working and my assumption is that it is, at that stage, only using one card.

By cross referencing to another program which shows the real time operating temperatures of the two cards it is obvious from the readings (above idle temps) that they are both working, but one card runs a little cooler than the other.

The scenery for each test is chosen where I am getting a constant 60fps no matter what manoeuvre is being carried out, ie with the max fps locked at sixty - the performance as measured by fps is thus constant. I intend to continue a similar set of tests with the SLI disabled, just as a working comparison and indicator of the worth of a second card, but that will be at a later date.

The setup is a Q9550 (not OC'd), 4 gig RAM 1066, 2xGTX280, 1250W PSU  ;)

Archived