Installing airports and scenery to other than C/Program Files (x86)

stuka123

I have moved all FSX files to a file Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder directly under the C drive, rather than the normal install folder under C/Program Files (x86). The trick now is to install new scenery files purchased from Orbx into this new folder rather than the default x86 folder.

There doesn't seem to be an option to install the scenery files during auto install process to other than the x 86 file location. When I start FSX it can't find the new scenery files (naturally).

QUESTION:  How do I install the new files to the correct folder under the C drive rather than the x86 location? Thanks!

All ORBX titles are installed in a subdirectory structure inside Microsoft Flight Simulator X directory.

If you have installed FSX into the Program Files or Program Files (x86) directory then this is where they will be.

In terms of circumventing Windows' overzealous protection ('Access is Denied' errors) you may well be best to install FSX itself outside of the Program Files (x86) location  (eg C:\FSX or similar)

If you do this the ORBX titles will not be within the (over)protected are, and more importantly .. neither will FSX.

There is no installer option for movig the files elsewhere, which is by design.

OK thanks all. Having moved FSX to its own folder C/FSX (where it ran fine), I take it that all subsequent purchases and installation of ORBX titles will be installed to C/Program Files (x86), by design as you say. How do I then move them to the C/FSX location without inadvertently overwriting other files or stuffing it up?

Registry fix doesn't seem to address this issue.

thanks again

Ian sorry for any confusion.

When installing new ORBX titles is there an option to place the files into the FSX directory at C/FSX...?

Or can I only install them to C/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/...? This appears to be the only option, and if so how do I then move them to the FSX directory at C/FSX?

Starting to regret tinkering with this ... my original intent was to get REX talking to FSX again. But in moving FSX up to C/FSX I now can't install new ORBX titles to other than C/Program Files (x86). And when I start FSX it can't locate the new scenery files.

Appreciate your help mate.

Not an expert but if the ORBX installation is pointing to that x86 location it means that you still have registry entries for the old location.  As far as I know the registry fix tool is designed to re-write the registry entries so the ORBX installs will point to the correct location of your FSX install.

Worst case scenario (which I do every couple of years anyway) is completely uninstall FSX, reboot to clear up the registry (if necessary use a registry cleaner to delete old entries) then re-install FSX and add-ons.  A pian in the neck but you can sometimes save time overall.  

Ian sorry for any confusion.

When installing new ORBX titles is there an option to place the files into the FSX directory at C/FSX...?

Or can I only install them to C/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/...? This appears to be the only option, and if so how do I then move them to the FSX directory at C/FSX?

Starting to regret tinkering with this ... my original intent was to get REX talking to FSX again. But in moving FSX up to C/FSX I now can't install new ORBX titles to other than C/Program Files (x86). And when I start FSX it can't locate the new scenery files.

Appreciate your help mate.

Your problem is, that you moved an installed application from the originally location to another. This wont never work well!!! All entries in the windows registry will still point to the location where you had it installed!!!

The registry fix tools may help you if you're lucky.

Spirit

Archived