65S Terrain Elevation Problem

stevem

Products:

- NA Blue FSS0251486

- NA 65S FSS0251603

- FSX with only one add-on: EZDoc Camera

Problem:

- 65S airport terrain has elevation problems (see screen shot)

- Local-area terrain has water on mountainsides (see screen shot)

Installation Steps (in this order):

- Ensured that I have .NET 4.5 installed.

- Installed OrbxFTXNABlueNRM100.

- In FTX Central, clicked North America > Apply.

- Installed OrbxFTXNA65S100.

- Installed OrbxFTXNABlueNRMPatch002.

- Installed FTXORBXLIBS_131027.

- In FSX, made all Display Settings as shown in FTX and 65S PDF files.

Troubleshooting:

- Read other Forum threads and FAQ for clues.

- Ran FTX Central "As Administrator" (through Compatibility tab).

- In FTX Central, clicked Default > Apply, then closed FTX Central.  Re-opened FTX Central and clicked North America > Apply.

Question:

Can anyone kindly indicate what I might be doing wrong?  Thank you for your help.

65s.jpg

Hi Steve,

That's one of the most concise troubleshooting reports I've seen! Thanks for all the info, it is very helpful. To correct the elevation issue you'll need NRM patch 3, it contains compatibility adjustments for 65S:

http://myftx.com/orbxfreeware/OrbxFTXNABlueNRMPatch003.zip

See if your water issue still persists and we'll work from there.

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the kind words about my "troubleshooting report!"  I try to deliver a better message than the typical, "My software isn't working... what's wrong with it?"  : )

The NRM Patch 3 solved the 65S problem.  Thank you. 

But, the water-on-the-mountains issue persists.  There are also many farmers' fields that are blue with water... like they've gone through some sort of bad flooding!  Please let me know if you need more info on this.

Thanks for the incredible work you guys do with your scenery!

Hi Steve, I haven't seen the water problem personally but terrain.cfg corruption has been suggested in the past. You might have a look at this thread:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/69782-water-textures-on-land-in-scotland/

Apparently replacing the terrain.cfg with a vanilla default copy and cycling FTX Central fixed the problem in this case.

Jim

Hello,

The water-on-the-terrain issue is still present.

I followed that thread, by doing these:

1) I backed-up my terrain.cfg file.

2) I copied the terrain.cfg from that ZIP file into my C:\...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder.

3) In FTX Central, I chose Default > Apply.

4) Still in FTX Central, I chose North America > Apply.

5) I closed FTX Central and started FSX.  The problem is still there.

Do you have any other suggestions?  Thank you.

I would as Wulf mentioned install the 1,2, and 3 patches again in that order selecting North America each time FTX Central opens after the install and also start the sim and load a flight at 65S prior to closing and installing the next patch. After that I'd install the latest Orbxlibs. If that doesn't change anything then take a look in FTX Central under Tools > Scenery Library Configuration > FTX Scenery Library Insertion Points and make sure you don't have anything installed in a layer above your FTX stuff that could be causing the problem, any landclass products, UTX, etc. If you see anything like that just click on it to highlight it and then on the right click "Set insertion point", then save and exit.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Jim

With NA Blue and 65S previously installed, I now performed these steps:

1) Installed FSX SP1 > system restart. < NEW STEPS NOT DONE BEFORE

2) Installed FSX SP2 > system restart. < NEW STEPS NOT DONE BEFORE

3) FTX Central > North America > Apply > Close > installed NA Blue Patch 001 > FTX Central > North America > Apply > Close > started FSX and loaded a flight at 65S > close FSX.

PROBLEM SOLVED

4) FTX Central > North America > Apply > Close > installed NA Blue Patch 002 > FTX Central > North America > Apply > Close > started FSX and loaded a flight at 65S > close FSX.

5) FTX Central > North America > Apply > Close > installed NA Blue Patch 003 > FTX Central > North America > Apply > Close > started FSX and loaded a flight at 65S > close FSX.

6) Installed latest ORBXlibs.

So, it would appear that Holger's recommendation of FSX SP1 and SP2 solved the problem.  Thank you all for your fantastic help!

Archived