FTX Global

DHR

I am looking for help with my FTX global scenery installation. I recently had an issue come up with black squares for buildings. I searched this forum and found a few solutions. One was to update FTX which I did to version 1.20. This did not fix my issue. The next was a product called Steve's DX 10 Fix, which I bought and installed. This did not fix the issue. Yesterday, I start up FSX and find all my scenery is totally screwed.  Everywhere appears as green/white /grey squares. (see attached). I uninstalled DX 10 Fix. No change. I uninstalled FTX and reinstalled. No change. I renamed  the scenery .cfg file to terrain.cfg.  and added the Terrain_ID=1 line. No change.

I have switched between Hybrid On and Off, as I also have NRM and PNW installed.

I have since tried uninstalling all ORBX products, and have hit an impasse. I am now using the default scenery but I am getting messages that there are still .bgl files (?) associated with the ORBX files.

I should clarify that the default scenery is not appearing normal as well. I have tried both default and Global and neither have any change in the result. Just patches across entire globe of green gray and white.

I cannot get any photos to appear here. I have tried 3 times now and they will not go into my post.

Hi there,

welcome to Orbx.

To post screenshots please see here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

I'm a bit confused about the statement "I renamed  the scenery .cfg file to terrain.cfg.  and added the Terrain_ID=1 line". You didn't really switch scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg or did you? I assume you meant that you replaced terrain.cfg with a clean copy as in this post? href='http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/65749-ftx-central-error-terraincfg-has-no-landlclass-section/?p=601408%C2'>

In any way a couple of screenshots would help as I don't recall having seen or heard of an "entire globe of green gray and white"

Cheers, Holger

Hello, I am still trying to post a screen shot. I have followed the "how-to-post-screenshot" link exactly as written, but I cannot paste anything to my postings.

But as for the renaming the cfg file, I saw this in a forum here (I am sure it was here) where renaming this file allowed FSX to rebuild itself on startup. Of course, I kept an original copy of the scenery cfg and have since reused this copy, as this fix did not make any significant changes for me. For now, I have reinstalled and updated Global (again) and am in the process of adjusting the in-game scenery sliders to find the right setting. So far this technique has given more positive results. It is close but still poor textures overall. I should state that I am also using a program from FS Tweak, called scenery editor. I don't see this as a problem as it just helps to visualize and organize all the scenery in one place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

thanks for the screenshot. That does look as if parts of your terrain.cfg file have become corrupted. As mentioned above usually the easiest fix is to "refresh" it. The active terrain.cfg is located in the main FSX folder and there's a backup of the original version in the \ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work folder. Make a copy of your active terrain.cfg (as a safety backup) and then overwrite it with the original version. Then you need to start and cycle FTX Central at least once between options (doesn't matter which) and press Apply to automatically re-insert the FTX custom entries. Also, if you own other add-ons that require custom entries, like Ultimate Terrain or FSAddon, you'll need to run their setup tools or repair options as well.

Cheers, Holger

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again..so sorry for the delay in getting back to you and all your great help and advice. I have had to go to work and fly for real for the last few weeks. I am in the eastern side of the country, and if you follow the weather channels, it was a long, very cold, foggy freezing rain sort of week here. All in all it was not fun flying

As for my FS problem, I also started to experience other problems on my PC not related to Flight Simming, and decided I may need to upgrade my motherboard and processor and video cards all at once. My system is about 6 years old, and is probably due. At this moment, I have had my system wiped and cleaned, and will be reinstalling FSX and both P3D's over the coming week. I hope I can hold onto this system for a few more months before upgrading. I am sure this will solve my problems.

I want to say thanks for all you thoughts and input for my problem.

Will chat again later!

Archived