Heads Up on new Asus P6T

tennyson

Hi Guys,

Whilst working on a little repaint project last night, my PC just suddenly shut down for no apparent reason. I have not had any trouble with it since I put it together and it's been fault free straight out of the box.

I'd known there are some issues with the new i7 motherboard BIOS's and RAM, but opted to leave it alone, believing in the old adage that "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it".

Unfortunately this is where I may have been wrong.

After trying many things this morning, I was stumped and rang the distributors tech support. He nearly died when I told him I was running 12gb of RAM.

Anyway, it turns out that the BIOS updates for the Asus P6T are for stability of the RAM, amongst other things. I probably shood have done it.

So, it all comes out tomorrow and back to the distributor for RMA.

It doesn't change my mind about the product and I acknowledge that there are teething troubles with new technology, but as far as I'm concerned it's a small price to pay for the overall gain.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, if you have bought an Asus P6T, upgrade the BIOS!

Frank

Thanks Tennyson, I'm only running 6GB RAM on mine, but I'm also running the latest BIOS (1102) and haven't had any problems so far (touch wood).

That's really strange though, what model corsair 1333 RAM are you running, as ASUS has released a new QVL for the P6T, and it now has a column D which means "Supports six (6) modules inserted into both the orange slots and the black slots as two set of Triple-channel memory configuration." and corsair CM3X2G1333C9D6(Ver8.1), CM3X2G1333C9D6(XMP)Ver2.1 and TR3X6G1333C9 (Ver2.1) are on the list with a tick in column D meaning you should be able 12GB onboard with no worries.

Be aware there is a V2 of the P6T released now too, the only difference is that the V2 doesn't have the SAS controller on it, so it might be a cheaper upgrade for those wanting P6T's. Haven't seen it in Oz yet though.

Cheers.

Mine's the oc palm version, top of the range.

The ram is not a problem, it's Corsair 1333 dual channel, but have had it running fine for weeks and then last nite, bang, just out of the blue.

I pulled it apart and it's definately a RAM/BIOS issue, so she's back to the distributor on monday.

Damn, no FSX for a while.....bloody cold turkey!

Frank

Mine's a palm too, FYI there is no difference in the mobo at all between the P6T Deluxe and the Palm.

Can you get it to boot at all with one stick of RAM or is it now dead as a dodo? (For that QPL insert Deluxe on the end, I was just lazy). If you can get it going with one stick maybe you can update the BIOS and see how you go?

It doesn't change my mind about the product and I acknowledge that there are teething troubles with new technology, but as far as I'm concerned it's a small price to pay for the overall gain.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, if you have bought an Asus P6T, upgrade the BIOS!

Frank, this is typical for new mobos in general and isn't specific for the P6T mobo. You should always consider the BIOS version on the shipped mobo as a beta if the mobo is a brand new model and especially if the chipset is brand new.

Here is a good article at AnandTech with a section about "BIOS Ridiculousness" on the first page. http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3471

I'm going to assemble a new computer next week. A very important step in my build plan is to flash the 1102 BIOS before installing the OS.

Ulf B

You are dead right, mate. They were telling me to flash the bios soon after buying it. I thought "why would I have to flash a brand new board?" but now I know why.

It's a bit annoying in the computer world that they can push product out the door that is still not finished or just plain "unstable".

I'm not knocking Asus or any particular brand as I've been in the industry long enough to know that they all do it.

How would you be if you bought a new car and the engine stopped working because you were using 95 octane fuel instead of 98 octane when the car is supposed to run on all fuels?

I think we'd be all outraged.

Anyway, it's back to the drawing board and hopefully the distributors might just give me a straight swap tomorrow and then I can come home and put it all back together and get back in the air.

Frank

You are dead right, mate. They were telling me to flash the bios soon after buying it. I thought "why would I have to flash a brand new board?" but now I know why.

It's a bit annoying in the computer world that they can push product out the door that is still not finished or just plain "unstable".

I'm not knocking Asus or any particular brand as I've been in the industry long enough to know that they all do it.

How would you be if you bought a new car and the engine stopped working because you were using 95 octane fuel instead of 98 octane when the car is supposed to run on all fuels?

I think we'd be all outraged.

Anyway, it's back to the drawing board and hopefully the distributors might just give me a straight swap tomorrow and then I can come home and put it all back together and get back in the air.

Frank

Frank,

I hope I am not next with your problem. I don't usualy flash a bios unless I have problems but for soem reason I flashed this one 3 times and it is at the latest version. I hope I don't go through what happend to your board. Hope you get back in the air again soon.

Regards

Frank

G'day Frank,

My ongoing saga with ASUS is I bought a new Mobo early Sept (not i7), but it kept crashing (bios updated and no proggys loaded) so I took it back for replacement. They gave me what was described as a 'brand new board', but while fitting it there were obvious signs of it having been in a computer before. Despite this I fitted it and it worked like a dream for a month then died - so it went back to the supplier with the firm instruction that it be replaced with a really brand new board - One waits in hope!!  :-\

Frank

G'day Frank,

My ongoing saga with ASUS is I bought a new Mobo early Sept (not i7), but it kept crashing (bios updated and no proggys loaded) so I took it back for replacement. They gave me what was described as a 'brand new board', but while fitting it there were obvious signs of it having been in a computer before. Despite this I fitted it and it worked like a dream for a month then died - so it went back to the supplier with the firm instruction that it be replaced with a really brand new board - One waits in hope!!  :-\

Was the replacement board from ASUS or a supplier, I'm thinking from the supplier and not ASUS itself.

Was the replacement board from ASUS or a supplier, I'm thinking from the supplier and not ASUS itself.

The thought hadn't occurred to me that the supplier may have used sleight of hand with the board - silly me - I'll check it out, Thanks  Geoffman  ;)

Update:

Took my mobo back to the suppliers yesterday and the news ain't good.

They found a scratch on the mobo (see pic)

Posted Image

right at the point where the outer tracks run on the periphery of the board. Now I'm not gonna say that it isn't possible to do such a thing during installation but the scratch runs laterally across the board and if it was done during the installation of a video card (it's very close to the point where the video card goes in) you'd need to be particularly careless, I think.

I have been building systems for a long time (over 15 years), so I pretty much know what I'm doing and on a 3000 buck investment, I paid particular care. Added to that the circumstances of the failure, i.e. the computer had been running perfectly for over a month and then I'm working away (I had several graphic applications running and then started FSX) and the system slowed to a crawl and then shut down, indicating to me that I'd run out of memory, however it would not reboot.

I still believe (given the circumstances) that the BIOS/ RAM is the culprit and just hope that the board they replace it with has the updated Asus P6T BIOS (1102).

So, no flying for about 3 weeks until they replace the board. I know what you went throo, now, Sniper.

Frank

Any of the tracks actually broken though Frank, it's very hard to see even in the blow up. I seriously doubt that is the problem though for if it was I would think the board wouldn't POST at all on installation.

PS they aren't using the scratch as an excuse to make you pay for a new board are they?

When you get your new frogs to donuts it won't have the latest BIOS installed (they never ever seem to) and you will have to do it yourself, or caveat the acceptance of the replacement board and have the supplier flash it with the latest BIOS before delivery.

If you have to do it yourself, do it upon installation with minimum memory installed and before installing your OS.

Sorry to hear about the delay Frank, but hang in there...and Goeffman is correct..when you do get the new board, flash the bios right off the bat. I always do that when I get a new mobo, to include when I got my new I7 mobo(s).

You guys are dead right, that's the one thing i'll get them to do before i accept it.

and geoffman, the piccy was just one I knocked up. the actual scratch was plain to see, although i never saw it until the technician pointed it out. I honestly do not believe it was the problem and it certainly wasn't done by me, but I don't care as long as I don't have to shell out another 700 bucks to replace it.

I bought it off the manager of the business and if needs be, i'll get in touch with him over the incident. He's a good bloke and we've known each other for a while, so I don't envisage a problem,

Frank

Archived