Installation File Won't Unzip - Northern Rocky Mountains

petenoak

I have d/l the installation file for Orbx/FTX's North America - Northern Rocky Mountains THREE times now. Each time I get the same error message trying to unpack this 3.15 GB Winrar file. The error message says something like the file might be corrupted.

I checked and other packed files from Orbx/FTX unzip just fine, e.g. freeware airport packs by Neil Hill. Also, I tried two different server locations.

I wonder if anybody has any ideas of what would be the next step to try??

Thanks for any help!

My order number is 248052.

peter in california, usa

Hi Peter,

I assume you've used a download manager and also cleaned your browser cache between attempts? Otherwise the same issue is bound to re-occur with each attempt.

Something else to try is a different unwrapper tool like 7-zip or WinRar. Also, make sure that there is sufficient HD space to unpack the file.

Cheers, Holger

OK, solution found!

In my case, it wasn't the browser cache, or lack of room anywhere.

My copy of Winrar was old enough that it COULDN'T handle a packed archive of this size (over 3GB). I got a newer version and the program installer is running just fine.

peter in oakland, california

Oops! I need more help!!

Installation stopped at the point where "Disc #2" was requested. But since I'm using the download I had no way to continue. I had to abort the installation.

The installer was calling for a file that ended in "100.2" as I recall. Now I see that such a file appears to be in the packed archive. Perhaps it never got unpacked into the correct temporary folder.

I could run the installation again and make sure that file is available but extracting it and placing it in the temp folder. That might work, but do I need to uninstall all the folders that were put on my hard drive? I see in the FSX/Orbx folder some subfolders labelled "FTX_NA_NRM06_CVX", etc. And perhaps some entries were made in the Registry.

When I run FSX I don't see that the scenery areas were activated in the Scenery Library.

How should I proceed???

peter in oakland

I think that was handled here elsewhere already. You have to unzip everything into a SEPARATE folder and then run the installer there. It will find what it needs. I think you can run it again, without deleting anything. It should overwrite what got partially installed...

Archived