Please help with your suggestions of new PC for FSX

Jason38

I am seeking the advice of the PC gurus around here, I’m the first to admit I don’t know much about computers, I now enough to get me into trouble, any advice you have about what parts I need to run FSX at its fullest potential.

I would appreciate any feedback or advise you may have. On whether this system would be up to the job or what (if any) would you recommend I change / add / or get rid of all together.

After much research and in consultation with my local PC supplier we have come up with the below system the quote came in at $4748.70 (told the wife it would be under $5000)

PROCESSOR

Intel® Core™ i7 920 Processor with 2.66Mhz clock speed, 8Mb of Intel smart cache, 1066MHz DDRIII memory, Triple channel memory, 8 processing threads and Quad cores, Faster, intelligent, multi-core technology that applies processing power where it's needed most, new Intel® Core™ i7 processors deliver an incredible breakthrough in PC performance. They are the best desktop processors on the planet.¹ You'll multitask applications faster and unleash incredible digital media creation. And you'll experience maximum performance for everything you do, thanks to the combination of Intel® Turbo Boost technology² and Intel® Hyper-Threading technology (Intel® HT technology)³, which maximizes performance to match your workload

MOTHERBOARD

The Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO is designed to unleash the power of the all new Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7 processors with support for up to eight threads of raw CPU processing power and triple channel DDR3 memory. The DX58SO delivers the power you need for today and the future with Intel high definition Audio, Intel X58 Express chipset, Gigabit LAN subsystem, 12 USB ports, 6 Serial ATA ports @ 3Gbs, Firewire 1394 support. >One PCI Conventional* bus add-in card connectors (SMBus routed to PCI Conventional bus add-in card connector) >One primary PCI Express* 2.0 x16 (electrical x16) bus add-in card connector >One secondary PCI Express 2.0 x16 (electrical x16) bus add-in card connector >One PCI Express* 1.0a x16 (electrical x4) bus add-in card connector >Support for DDR3 1600 MHzς, DDR3 1333 MHzς, DDR3 1066 MHz

GRAPHICS

NVIDIA GTX 280 GV-N28-1GH-B Equipped with NVIDIA's latest GTX 280 graphics processor, the GIGABYTE GV-N28-1GH-B features 1 GB GDDR3 memory and 240 stream processors, is able to provide a sophisticated level of 3D game rendering for an enhanced level of game play

MEMORY

2x DDRIII Memory 3072Mb @ 1066Mhz (Total of 6Gb memory) Kingston Super CL7

OPTICAL DRIVES

1x SONY SATA DVD-RW Drive

HARD DRIVE

1x Seagate Enterprise class 1Tb Hard drive

MONITOR

LG W2252TBF 22" Monitor

CHASSIS / CASE

Lian Li PC-V1000Z Miditower chassis 210mm x 490mm x 550mm / black aluminium / graphics card vent / 5x 5.25 external bays / 6x 3.5 HD internal bays with SATA hotswap panel built in / Expansion slots 7 / accepts ATX and mATX motherboards for 65 and 45Nm processors / transparent side window / Twin 120mm ball bearing fans / tool-less latch design

POWER SUPPLY

Xmigmatech 1000 watt 80+ modular power supply

OPERATING SYSTEM

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit OS

SOUND

Onboard Intel® HD audio

Thankyou for reading and making any comments, its alot of money to spend and like everyone want to make sure im getting the required parts.

Thankyou

Jason

Hi Jason,

I have no personal experience with the I7, but it is my understanding that the 920 has a very high overclocking potential. Some fsx folks are getting close to 4ghz out of it on air. In any case, it seems like overclocking to 3.2-3.6 ghz has been effortless. Because of the link between processor speed and memory with the I7, seems like you should go for some higher memory ratings. Folks running 920's seem to be looking at at least 1600.

Just a thought.

Kingfish

:D

Just a small obsevation about the ram, too mate.

Anything over 3 gb is wasted on Vista 32 bit, so why not 64?

If it's all new gear drivers won't be a problem.

Lot's of info on 64 bit Vista here in the forum......and the i7 rocks, mate!

Frank

I am seeking the advice of the PC gurus around here, I’m the first to admit I don’t know much about computers, I now enough to get me into trouble, any advice you have about what parts I need to run FSX at its fullest potential.

I would appreciate any feedback or advise you may have. On whether this system would be up to the job or what (if any) would you recommend I change / add / or get rid of all together.

After much research and in consultation with my local PC supplier we have come up with the below system the quote came in at $4748.70 (told the wife it would be under $5000)

PROCESSOR

Intel® Core™ i7 920 Processor with 2.66Mhz clock speed, 8Mb of Intel smart cache, 1066MHz DDRIII memory, Triple channel memory, 8 processing threads and Quad cores, Faster, intelligent, multi-core technology that applies processing power where it's needed most, new Intel® Core™ i7 processors deliver an incredible breakthrough in PC performance. They are the best desktop processors on the planet.¹ You'll multitask applications faster and unleash incredible digital media creation. And you'll experience maximum performance for everything you do, thanks to the combination of Intel® Turbo Boost technology² and Intel® Hyper-Threading technology (Intel® HT technology)³, which maximizes performance to match your workload

MOTHERBOARD

The Intel® Desktop Board DX58SO is designed to unleash the power of the all new Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7 processors with support for up to eight threads of raw CPU processing power and triple channel DDR3 memory. The DX58SO delivers the power you need for today and the future with Intel high definition Audio, Intel X58 Express chipset, Gigabit LAN subsystem, 12 USB ports, 6 Serial ATA ports @ 3Gbs, Firewire 1394 support. >One PCI Conventional* bus add-in card connectors (SMBus routed to PCI Conventional bus add-in card connector) >One primary PCI Express* 2.0 x16 (electrical x16) bus add-in card connector >One secondary PCI Express 2.0 x16 (electrical x16) bus add-in card connector >One PCI Express* 1.0a x16 (electrical x4) bus add-in card connector >Support for DDR3 1600 MHzς, DDR3 1333 MHzς, DDR3 1066 MHz

GRAPHICS

NVIDIA GTX 280 GV-N28-1GH-B Equipped with NVIDIA's latest GTX 280 graphics processor, the GIGABYTE GV-N28-1GH-B features 1 GB GDDR3 memory and 240 stream processors, is able to provide a sophisticated level of 3D game rendering for an enhanced level of game play

MEMORY

2x DDRIII Memory 3072Mb @ 1066Mhz (Total of 6Gb memory) Kingston Super CL7

OPTICAL DRIVES

1x SONY SATA DVD-RW Drive

HARD DRIVE

1x Seagate Enterprise class 1Tb Hard drive

MONITOR

LG W2252TBF 22" Monitor

CHASSIS / CASE

Lian Li PC-V1000Z Miditower chassis 210mm x 490mm x 550mm / black aluminium / graphics card vent / 5x 5.25 external bays / 6x 3.5 HD internal bays with SATA hotswap panel built in / Expansion slots 7 / accepts ATX and mATX motherboards for 65 and 45Nm processors / transparent side window / Twin 120mm ball bearing fans / tool-less latch design

POWER SUPPLY

Xmigmatech 1000 watt 80+ modular power supply

OPERATING SYSTEM

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit OS

SOUND

Onboard Intel® HD audio

Thankyou for reading and making any comments, its alot of money to spend and like everyone want to make sure im getting the required parts.

Thankyou

Jason

Seems good to me...just built an i7 920 and have the DDR3 1600 but do not have a 64 bit system so I can only use 4 gig of the mem but it does see it and it is using it as tripple channel....bought 6 gig for down the road upgrade....but if I was you I would go with 64 bit system. I am not familiar with your M/B but my Asus P6T Deluxe gives me problems with the HD on-board sound and I am now on a sound card. You will find varied ideas on this but for me on-board caused stutters and pop and crackle at times. Thought I had it worked out but it came back. Everything runs fine with the old SB Live 24 that I put in. You can clock that 920 forever with the right cooler...it is very easy to do....almost idiot proof. Good luck.

Regards

For your info re the Xigmatec PSU - the oz mag 'Atomic' has just done a comprehensive performance test on over a dozen brands of PSU's in the Dec 08 issue - might be worth a read - the Xigmatec 1500w scored second last on their tests (44%) due to consistent inability to supply sufficient voltage to the 12V rails - the top three were Enermax (98%), Corsair (98%), and Cooler Master (90%).  :o

Thankyou all for your advice, I have done more research on your recommendations and have now decided to change my

Memory 2x DDRIII Memory 4096Mb @ 1600Mhz (Total of 8Gb memory) Kingston Super CL7

and go for the Windows Vista 64 bit Operating System.

I’m now just deciding on what power supply I should use.

I would still appreciate your advice before I sign the bottom line.

thankyou

I agree with triple channel memory if you building an i7 system, it will give you the best performance anything else is like being in a bar brawl with one arm tied behind your back.  ;)

Same same with the power supply, I wouldn't go with the Xigametec, but with Enermax, Corsair or Thermaltake.

Everybody is right about the triple channel versus dual channel ram........however, if you populate all of the 6 slots with dual channel, your ram will run at triple channel.

I know, doesn't make sense to me either, but I have it on the highest authority that this is the case.

Frank

Thankyou all for your advice, I have done more research on your recommendations and have now decided to change my

Memory 2x DDRIII Memory 4096Mb @ 1600Mhz (Total of 8Gb memory) Kingston Super CL7

and go for the Windows Vista 64 bit Operating System.

I’m now just deciding on what power supply I should use.

I would still appreciate your advice before I sign the bottom line.

thankyou

That's as wrong as before... Looks like you don't believe it. You'll need 3x1GB, 3x2 GB, 3x4 GB, 6x1 GB, 6x2 GB or 6x4 GB sticks ! And buy a matched set - 3x2 GB will do the trick.

Archived