PAJN - ILS approach onto Rwy 08

Alexander Metzger

Hi,

I'm having difficulties flying this approach. It does not align with the lead in lights and lets me descent too fast.

I see that I have a rather complex AFD file called ADE_FTX_SAK_PAJN.BGL, which does contain the ILS with the offset to 61°. But the transmiter is out at the NDB MND, which I guess is the reason that it lets you fly into ground way before the runway. There is a second AFD file called PAJN_ADEX.BGL, which has less parking position and and no ILS navaid listed. The latter seem to come from the airport installation while the first file is from the SAK installation.

Typically I would expect that I need to disable the version that comes with SAK and the airport would install a detailed version to be active.

Could you explain what would be right to be able to do a proper ILS approach?

I am no expert but there is no ILS approach into Juneau, it is an LDA approach and is offset because of the terrain around the airport. The late turn onto final approach is supposed to be manual and there is also no vertical guidance, therefore you are responsible for not busting altitudes ie. 5600 at LYNNS and 3700 at BARLO. There are a few of these localizer approaches in the SAK scenery area and they make an interesting challenge!

PAJN is a good white knuckle approach. However, my favorite is Aspen-Pitken County (KASE) VOR/DME-C approach. Drop in over 10,000 ft terrain on the 163 radial FROM the VOR (meaning all the DME distances are backwards, i.e. they increase as you get closer to the runway) to a runway that is about 10 deg offset from the inbound radial.

There is a localizer signal but it's used for a missed approach - 30 deg off the runway's reciprocal heading and offset well to the west - the published procedure is a right turn (to the left is pure granite) to intercept the localizer back course to keep you from slamming into 11,000 ft terrain (plus a 14,000 ft and a couple 12,000 ft peaks).

So when is ORBX going to do the South Rockies so we can have fun with this approach? :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

@Dave: Thank you for that chart. It made things clearer.

@gazpatt: Sorry I was sloppy in my description ILS versus LDA. For me this is similar to the approach into Innsbruck (Austria) and you do get a vertical indication, but you are not allowed to use it (not reliable enough) and need to proper follow the altitude checks along the waypoints. Yet I think the LOC is placed in the AFD different to what I see on the chart. I will check again tonight. Maybe that has an influence on proper altitude indication as it sits on land higher than the airport and is used for the DME

@ Tim: Thanks that both can reside simmultaniously.

Thank you for your help to get this nice approach understood.

Archived