Matching a new graphics card to an older mobo:Object, P3D

shermank

I am posting this here because I respect the collective wisdom I have seen in the ORBX forums.

So, here is the issue. I currently have an ASUS PK5 Deluxe mobo with an Intel Q6600 GPU. My card is an older Nvidia GTS250.

Clearly, this will not work with P3D 2.0. My question is, what video card can I mate with my existing components, without replacing mobo or GPU. In fact, I am not even sure the newer generation of Nvidias will fit my mobo. 

I really hate the idea of tearing apart and rebuilding with all new core components. Thanks to everyone, and to all my fellow Yanks, HappyThanksgiving....

Sherm

Hey Shermank.

I guess You mean "intel Q6600 CPU" and Graphics Processing Unit= GPU NVidia GTS250 ??

But see what You mean and i dont think there will be any benefit in going that way, with only 2 core on the CPU.

Hope other Members can help You in the right direction here.

Kind regards

Henrik

Henrik, and all. I am sorry, but I may have not made myself clear. The above referenced Video card and the q6600 processor are what I currently have, and it has been fine for FSX. but, my goal is now to upgrade to P3D 2.0, with a minimum of effort, cost, and new components.

I want to know what video card I can upgrade to, and whether I can still use the Q6600 with the asus PK5 Deluxe mobo. Or, am I looking at a substantially more expensive project. I built this computer a few years ago, and could rebuild, but prefer a less involved alternative.

Again, thanks!

Sherm

Yes i understand you perfectly. ::)

Prepar3D v2 requires a DirectX11 fully compatible video card. If there isn´t a DirectX11 video card, Prepar3D v2 will not run.

Assuming that, the system you got is, a well balanced system, with no Buttlenecks.

If You then buy a better GPU, the CPU will be a Bottleneck, i think, because You wont be able to Overclock 

the Q6600 very much.

So buy at least, a DirectX11 compatibel video card.

Henrik

Btw.: Link: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/427085-and-the-bottom-line-is/

I think the hardware consensus is that a 4 Gig video card will make a difference. I am running a GTX 560 Ti, with 1 Gig, but have not loaded in any payware airports or aircraft yet. The Nvidia 760 is one that I am looking at.

Ok....thanks again gentlemen.....I think the path to take is to buy a more current video card (I am looking at the Nvidia 760 series), then if need be make changes to the other components as needed. 

Sherm

I'm on the bandwagon for the 760 as well. Good price and performance ($250 on Amazon). Just don't think a 560 will cut it for V2.

Won't swear by it, but the 760 should work with your current hardware as long as your PSU is a minimum of 500w (a solid brand, no cheapies).. 750w or higher is better of course.

You should have 2x PCIEx16 slots on that MB. Can't say what performance would be, but should work.

I want to know what video card I can upgrade to, and whether I can still use the Q6600 with the asus PK5 Deluxe mobo. Or, am I looking at a substantially more expensive project. I built this computer a few years ago, and could rebuild, but prefer a less involved alternative.

Sherm,

Good luck with your purchase.  I would love to hear how things turn out for you.  My current system is an e6750 and am thinking of upgrading my video card as well.

I was looking at a 770/4gb myself but I was told that since my board is pcie 2.0 compliant and most cards today are pcie 3.0 I would be better off with my current GTX 580 card - the problem is the GTX580 is toast, it shelled out about 6 hrs before P3D2 was released, lol. I'm really not into replacing the mobo too, and if I did that then I'm not sure about the CPU, yada, yada... I can't see where there are a lot of options for pcie 2.0, and so far I've found only one refurbished 580, does anyone have any experience running a pcie 3 card in a pcie 2 slot? Really bad idea?

Jim

I was looking at a 770/4gb myself but I was told that since my board is pcie 2.0 compliant and most cards today are pcie 3.0 I would be better off with my current GTX 580 card - the problem is the GTX580 is toast, it shelled out about 6 hrs before P3D2 was released, lol. I'm really not into replacing the mobo too, and if I did that then I'm not sure about the CPU, yada, yada... I can't see where there are a lot of options for pcie 2.0, and so far I've found only one refurbished 580, does anyone have any experience running a pcie 3 card in a pcie 2 slot? Really bad idea?

Jim

Its all backward compatible.: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/346277-33-card-work-motherboard  .

Personly (if the money is the problem) i would go for a new card eg.GTX 770 and when i had the money, i would buy a Z77 Motherboard(PCIe3) witch also is compatibel with Your i7-2600K.

Henrik

Its all backward compatible.: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/346277-33-card-work-motherboard  .

Personly (if the money is the problem) i would go for a new card eg.GTX 770 and when i had the money, i would buy a Z77 Motherboard(PCIe3) witch also is compatibel with Your i7-2600K.

Henrik

Hi all

I have an Intel DX58SO motherboard which only supports PCIE 2.0 and I bought an MSI GTX650 video card which is PCIE 3.0. When I install it, the computer boots up ok but there is no video. The card is inserted properly and have tried it in both the PCIE slots but the same thing happens.

My current working card, a Gigabyte GT620 works fine but I want something with a little more grunt. I have installed the latest drivers whilst this card was in both slots so the video software should recognise the card. Yes, I did power up the extra power socket on the GTX650 card.

Anyone got any ideas to try.

Cheers

Bernie

There seems to be some different opinions, regarding x58 motherboards and compatibillity with PCIe 3.:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1849449/motherboard-support-evga-geforce-gtx-760-superclocked.html#.

and from NVidia.: The good news? PCIe3.0 is actually designed to be backward compatible with PCIe1.x and PCIe2.x

Source.: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/464621/?comment=3301215

But i agree, that it would be sad to buy a new card, and then discover, that it wound fit or work  :-[

Hope someone here actually have tryed it, with succes thought.

Henrik

Try booting into "Safe Mode" with 650 installed. If this works then go to Device Manager and and see if old video card still has a profile. If so then Disable it.

Also, strange as it may seem.. I have seen USB devices cause similar issues. After unplugging all unnecessary USB devices, the machine would boot just fine. Its a stretch, but I have seen this before.

Greetings,

For what it is worth, I have a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4-4 that is PCIe 2.0. I was able to scrape up some spare funds recently and replaced my older GTX 260 OC with a Zotac GTX 660 that is both PCIe 3.0 and DX11 compliant. I had no problems with the backwards compatability. Mind you, I set the PC to the stock, plain vanilla 640 x 480 VGA driver and uninstalled the GTX 260's drivers before installing the Zotac, but it worked like a charm.

Respectfully,

Brian

Try booting into "Safe Mode" with 650 installed. If this works then go to Device Manager and and see if old video card still has a profile. If so then Disable it.

Also, strange as it may seem.. I have seen USB devices cause similar issues. After unplugging all unnecessary USB devices, the machine would boot just fine. Its a stretch, but I have seen this before.

Greetings,

For what it is worth, I have a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4-4 that is PCIe 2.0. I was able to scrape up some spare funds recently and replaced my older GTX 260 OC with a Zotac GTX 660 that is both PCIe 3.0 and DX11 compliant. I had no problems with the backwards compatability. Mind you, I set the PC to the stock, plain vanilla 640 x 480 VGA driver and uninstalled the GTX 260's drivers before installing the Zotac, but it worked like a charm.

Respectfully,

Brian

That could be the answers. ::)

Henrik

Hi all

I tried booting to safe mode (I think) but there is no video display so I can't do anything in safe mode.

Tried reducing the display to 800 x 600 (the lowest it would go) and then swapping cards, still no luck. I have installed heaps of video cards in the past and have never had a problem but this one has me stumped.

Thanks all for the replies.

Cheers

Bernie

Hi all

I tried booting to safe mode (I think) but there is no video display so I can't do anything in safe mode.

Tried reducing the display to 800 x 600 (the lowest it would go) and then swapping cards, still no luck. I have installed heaps of video cards in the past and have never had a problem but this one has me stumped.

Thanks all for the replies.

Cheers

Bernie

If there are ANY Intel drivers showing in Display properties then they need to be removed.

I suppose it would be worth checking for any Bios updates for that board. (But being as how the GT620 is PCIE-2 i doubt it).

If your able to see a boot screen and splash screen then you should be able to enter safe mode. (F8 key before the splash - just in-case you didn't already know).

If no display of any kind then there is a hardware problem.

Your not the only one whose had this problem with an MSI card either.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/33837

From a post in this thread:

I have the same board with the exact same problem.  Same model of MSI card.  I have been unable to get it to post in the DX58SO.  I have however been able to get the card to work in SLI mode with another mfg card, a PNY.  So there is either something wrong with the motherboard's support for this card, or with MSI.  According to the MSI forums, it is an issue with the DX58SO as it is a known problem board.

Why is it I can get the card to work in SLI as a slave, but I can not get the card to work alone.  Rather frustrated that other cards do work and this one brand will not.  Do we need a bios update to fix this?

Hi jhuntphx

Thank you for your answer. It appears to be the usual argument between hardware and software companies. Each blaming the other for things that don't work.

Looks like I will have to buy another card. Maybe I will now go for a 2GB card instead of the 1GB that I bought.

Cheers

Bernie

Archived