Comox (CYQQ) Partially Buried

BeaverDriver

Good Day,

I'm hoping you can help me with a problem in giving me places to look for an issue I'm having. Comox (CYQQ) is partially buried, in that RWY 30/12 is under the base terrain by about 10 feet or so. Please see screenshots below:

YQQ-1.jpg

YQQ-2.jpg

YQQ-3.jpg

You will notice that as you get higher, parts of the runway begin to reappear, and at any level I believe it's only RWY 30/12 that is buried.

Here is what I can tell you so far:

*I did a search here and found a similar problem in this thread: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/28406-comox-is-depressed/?hl=comox

The OP found she had a stray file somewhere, but unfortunately never said what it was or where it was, so it's not of any use to anyone else. I have done a search for Comox and CYQQ as per Tim's instructions in that thread and came up with the required 3 (and only 3) for each in the Orbx folders. I did an Orbx-wide search, not just the PNW folder. I do not have the AS Catalina installed, but I did (not now) have the new AS DHC 6 (Twin Otter) installed. It is not installed now, but I did use its uninstaller to remove it, which may have left behind files. I don't think it installed any scenery however, and I don't see anything that doesn't make sense in my Library file that might come from them, but you never know...

I moved all the Orbx scenery above any UTX scenery, which didn't help

I looked in both UTX Canada and Alaska to see if that airport was one of the repositioned strips, but it's not listed in either

I did have Don Grovestine's version installed, and that does help somewhat when it's in and the files that enable it for Orbx regions is active, but it doesn't take away the issue completely. I did a manual install of his scenery, and thence disabled the scenery complete when I discovered this problem. The problem still exists as I said (in fact, it's worse - more of the runway is hidden and it's deeper underground without his files enabling it for Orbx scenery). Don does include a mesh file and what might be an elevation adjustment (in the compatibility Scenery file). However, his scenery is now uninstalled as I say.

FTX Central is set to Global (see down for all that I have installed), but I reset it to NA to see if that would help, but it did not. It is now set back to Global.

No other airports in the region appear to be affected in this way. All appear normally

I looked in the FSX>Scenery>World>Scenery folder to see if there were any elevation adjustments to this airport, but didn't find any

I conferred with a friend who also has the same Orbx packages EXCEPT he does not have Global, and he does not have the problem, and he also has UTX (not UTX USA however). I have a hard time believing it is anything to do with Global however since Global is only textures.

Packages Installed:

FTX NA and UK/SCO

FTX Global

UTX (all)

Tongass

Numerous local sceneries, but none close to CYYQ (some of which I have disabled to see if there was a conflict there - see down)

Bottom line is, I don't believe this issue is caused by Orbx sceneries due to others not reporting it here (other than that one instance I linked to above). I'm hoping however, someone might have some clues as to anything else I could try that I've not listed above. I'm just not sure where to go from this point, and I'm not at all convinced a reinstall of Orbx sceneries is required or will fix this issue.

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Glenn

I meant to mention, I also have FS Genesis, but it's layered well below any Orbx material. Like I said earlier too, it's only Comox (but all runways, unlike what I thought before - the taxiways are sunk but visible for some reason). Courtney and the small airfied just northwest of there are fine.

Since posting the above I've disabled pretty much every other add-on scenery I have, but still have the problem. Like I said, I'm pretty sure this is not an Orbx issue, but am hoping someone else has seen this and has an idea about it, or that you can give me some ideas I haven't thought of.

Thanks again for the help.

Glenn

OK, I found the problem. Despite using the search function in Windows Explorer (not sure Windows Explorer's search function could find any instances of "Windows" in it's "fantastic" search feature - sarcasm intended :wacko: ), there was an elevation adjustment file placed into the FSX>Scenery>World>Scenery folder which is part of Don Grovestine's (excellent!) CYYQ. The file name is CYYQ_elevation_adjustment.bgl in case anyone else runs into this problem. Once I disabled that, all was fine. Now remember, I manually installed this scenery, so this isn't a shortcoming of Don's scenery (and certainly not of Orbx's!), but my own mistake, so please keep that in mind if you are considering his scenery. It's quite good and it has options to work with PNW.

Anyway, the problem is resolved and hopefully my experience will help someone else should they run into the same issue.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

glad to hear you've figured it out and thanks for the heads-up on Don's adjustment file. I'm pretty sure that Don's CYQQ has special files to allow full compatibility with PNW so you may want to have another look at his manual.

BTW, I notice in your screenshot that the PNW shoreline vector textures are missing; see the sharp edges where land meets water. If they show up elsewhere then it might just be a local exclude in Don's airport package.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger. Yes, that's how I found the elevation adjustment file, by looking in his manual for the manual installation instructions. I figured that would be where you'd find out where all the files went, and sure enough, there it was. I will have another go at his installation instructions as even with his scenery installed after disabling this file, there are issues. I'm 99% certain it's finger trouble on my part, not on his end. In any event, it's uninstalled for now and to be honest, your version of that airport isn't all that bad either. I'll have another go at Don's installation in a bit and see if I can't get it right this time ^-^. As I said though, this problem is on my end, and not his or yours.

Thanks again Holger. Have a good one,

Glenn

Archived