How to read the "Wind Square" at EGTH

Hangar200

Hi,

The first time I flew into EGTH I noticed the big black square on the ground, next to the tower,  with what appears to be a wind tee (a long thin white rectangle crossed at right angles almost all the way near the end with second, shorter rectangle and with a circle just above where the two cross) but does not have a vane or anything to let it swing freely with the wind.

I assume this is a manual device (that the poor sim guy in the tower has to climb down change it as the wind changes). 

That said I have really only seen it point in two directions - approx 210 and 030 - the main runway headings.  Also I've seen times when it is blank.

So - do I read it like a regular wind tee or is it really just an active runway indicator?  And what happens when its blank?  Pilots choice?  Finally there is a little orange box that shows up in one corner of the square - what's that?

Great airfield  - love it for some of my light GA airplanes.

Cheers!

The T is a takeoff and landing direction indicator. If it has a white ball over the cross part of the T it means takeoff and landing directions may not coincide. I think the orange box you refer to is a red square with a yellow diagonal line through it? This means caution: the maneuvering area is poor.

Look at this for more info..... http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/communication/markings.htm

Archived