WOW, Just Flight DC-8 (and my story)

Benny

Ok, in my flight sim life I rarely jump on the wall for new plane addon, I even have more then what you see in my sig. But I did yesterday after installing this one, I'm impress by the sound pack and the heavy feeling this addon as, I big OUFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Why, well here is why: I did my cat 1 commercial when I was around 25 (now 47), when doing the multi engine my instructor (Louis Rigas) told me that If I would like to we could have a free ride in a DC-8 cockpit (Nationair at the time) with his friend Jame (capt) from Montreal to Winnipeg.

Nationair_DC-8-63.jpg

C-GQBF-Nationair-Douglas-DC-8-60_Planesp

To cut that short we did, beautiful day, calm wind. At that time the cockpit door was always open and it was like a party (flight level-cruising) inside the cockpit, stewardess where coming in and out, passenger when peeking in saying hi....... another era!

Don't ask me why (I never did) but the engineer  seat was mine, no engineer on board ????

In mid flight I was offer to take the co-pilot seat for a wile.... and make a small corrective turn of about 10deg. Now here is the fun part.

I started turning but the yoke would not move.... Jame said harder... WHAT, ok, men this thing felt HEAVY AS HELL. No FBW here, ouff... It tokk a few second and we where back on track (not even sure we where off... maybe Louis ask him a favor) .

When we landed in Winnipeg I was anxious to see how that heavy plane would react. Jame landed and what struck me is how all lever, yoke, pedestal, trust lever where all over the place for a simple smooth landing, the plane reacted with so much inertia, meaning it reacted 1/2 an hour later ::) . He was playing with truster until we touch the ground, those 4 engine where raging, the sound of flap, landing gear everything was loud, deep loud same goes with the Just Flight DC-8.

It's a long story but In 1996 I was lucky enough to stay for a landing in a Corsair 747 from Montreal to Paris.  It was nothing like the DC-8

Anyway, the JF DC-8 bring memories back, no it's NOT a PMDG, it's not HD, no not all button are working but for me it as one of the most realistic flight dynamic of all the plane I own. No other big liner give me that realistic feeling. Be ready for some hard landing and heavy play with the control. I'm having a blast doing circuit in KBZN (video this afternoon)

Ben

dc8-jetliner-10-40-download_42_ss_l_1310

dc8-jetliner-10-40-download_50_ss_l_1310

i am considering buying this, does it have an fmc and is it easy to fly, i love the quality wings due to the fact there planes dont have huge learning curves and i can get right up and fly, i am on the fence about the dc8 because i didn't see an fmc and ils and also autoland features. i know i do have plans to buy the pmdg 777 at some point but the older planes are really hard to fly to me or maybe they just look harder because of all the extra's in the cockpits, thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi Brett, no fancy stuff like FMC or auto-land like... the real thing, basic autopilot and that is it. I think that the 757 form QW is a good comparison in some ways. But the DC-8 come with engine shut down but very easy to start. But the process is longer because of the 4 engine. Like I said above (or not?) it's harder to land then anything I own. It took me 4 try at Bozemen. You have to keep those engines revving at all time. It's not the most stable thing on landing. Engine will react fast by noise but the trust is slow to come.

Take off is pretty easy same goes for cruising but it's when you put those giant flap down that the fun began.

Installation was by the book. FPS look VERY decent. VC is very nice but not HD. Well at least not everywhere.

Remember that is those years the outside painting was nothing like those we see today.

I'm uploading a small landing vid at Bozeman in the video section as I write this, should be available in an hour or so.

If you need any picture or have any question please do so but remember, I bought it yesterday.

Ben

Archived