Slow texture loading EU England

FL630

Hi,

I'm new to orbx software and still quite new to FSX and it's many expansions.

I really like the England scenery, however I'm finding the textures load really slowly.

It's fine if I'm just flying around at say, 100-200kts, but sometimes it's fun to grab a fast jet and fly around on the deck, where it the fantastic scenery turns into nothing but blurrs of green.

Anything I can do to improve it? I've not got an amazing computer but it runs at 20fps or so which is fine for me.

Thanks

FL630

Thanks for the reply Wolter, my PC isn't amazing, but it runs a lot of other games and photo editing suites well:

Intel i7-2630QM @ 2GHz

6GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GT555M 

500GB 6400rpm drive dedicated to FSX

Running at 1920x1080

Trying to find a good balance between realism, loading and FPS is difficult.

Thanks

Ian

Thanks for the reply Wolter, my PC isn't amazing, but it runs a lot of other games and photo editing suites well:

Intel i7-2630QM @ 2GHz

6GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GT555M 

500GB 6400rpm drive dedicated to FSX

Running at 1920x1080

Trying to find a good balance between realism, loading and FPS is difficult.

Thanks

Ian

Do you mean flying a fast jet low and dirty at say 500 kts, it maybe just a case that FSX cant keep up with loading at that sort of speed, ive noticed that before and my specs are almost double yours

Correct, above 300-400kts the scenery starts to lag a lot. It's a shame as fast jet runs through valleys is great fun.

Is it a FSX software problem then? FSX seems to have quite bizzare hardware requirements, being so heavily CPU biased  :-

From your specs, I'm guessing you're running a laptop, and I'd say a couple of items at least are playing a part in the slow loading.

Firstly, a cpu at only 2 GHz is surely going to be limping a bit in FSX. I'd say you need to be running at a min of about 3.5 GHz to be getting satisfactory results.

Secondly, the speed of your hard drive will surely also play a part - 6400rpm is not so fast.

Cheers

Jack

From your specs, I'm guessing you're running a laptop, and I'd say a couple of items at least are playing a part in the slow loading.

Firstly, a cpu at only 2 GHz is surely going to be limping a bit in FSX. I'd say you need to be running at a min of about 3.5 GHz to be getting satisfactory results.

Secondly, the speed of your hard drive will surely also play a part - 6400rpm is not so fast.

Cheers

Jack

My bad, 6400rpm was a guess, I took the back off my computer (Dell XPS17-L702x) and they are 7200rpm. This is the drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136856

I'm going to look into overclocking my CPU, but I've got a feeling temperatures will struggle to stay down, but it's worth a shot to see if I can get a few more fps out of it.

Ian

HDD won't make any significant difference once the flight has loaded. SSD are simply quicker at loading stuff, not running it. I've run FSX using both a super quick SSD and an old WD Raptor, no difference in flight, at all.

FL630, you are trying to run an extremely intense bit of software on a low end bit of hardware. I would think you'd have to run everything at low just to get anywhere near a consistently smooth frame rate. I've seen your processor overclocked to 2.8GHz and beyond, it'll help, but not much. Outright speed is not the only factor when it comes to a CPU being good for FSX.    

StormVR6, I understand. I downloaded some tools to watch my temps and clock speeds, it looks like my processor automatically throttles up to 2.7GHz when running, a small improvement. Sadly I think the Dell BIOS doesn't allow me to get in the options to OC, and as it already runs at about 85*C I'm not sure I want to push it further (even though I believe laptop processors are rated normally up to around 100).

I think I'll have to accept high speed low flight isn't going to happen. I'm not a serious simmer, I just bought the Eaglesoft DA-42 to practice IFR before starting the real thing in January, but I got carried away and bought a load of scenery and extra addons!

Archived