ORBX Global Compatibility issue with Scenery's

Richard Oberwinkler

FlyTampa Grenadines and AS SantoriniX..

I use ORBX Global and FTX NA, now when I install them, I destroy the above mentioned scenery's autogen. Now merging autogen is not really that difficult, however, everytime I change my autogen so it works again in those scenery's and everywhere else at the same time, and I change to a different FTX zone, all my files get overwritten with the ORBX versions.... Now, If orbx would atleas copy my existing autogen files and restore them once I get back to ORBX Global, everything would be fine, but no, ORBX Global again copies the ORBX Files to Autogen folder, and again destrying my scenery's.....????

It would be nice If ORBX Global would look at the files in the Autogen folder, and if changed, from the ORBX versions, they should at least restore them back once I get back to ORBX Global after changing to one of the regions.....

regards

Richard Oberwinkler

And I found another incompatibility.....with SceneryConfigEditor.....

You people just delete all supporting entrys for this software, which by the way is excellent and an absolute must have if you have a rather big Scenery Library and you want to reduce FSX's loading time by disabeling Scenerys you dont need for this flight..... so please try to make it copatible, since I love both, ORBX and these scenerys just the same and I don't want to be forced to take bakups all the time and switch files manually all the time

regards

Richard Oberwinkler

PS.: I hope you don't see that as positive critisicm to improve your software which is excellent already.... just needs a little improvement to copatibility.....which I know is difficult due to the large amount of other addons out there.....

Hi Richard,

in order to use your extended autogen definition files you'll need to replace our version with yours; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/62640-technical-questions-defaultxml-and-other-files/?p=571580

I remember a discussion about the scenery.cfg editor before but only found this thread here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/61840-fsx-doesnt-start-after-installing-ftxg/?hl=sceneryconfigeditor . Unfortunately, there's no easy solution given that the tool adds extensive commentary to a user's .cfg file, which somehow clashes with our FTXConfigurator.exe utility.

Cheers, Holger 

Hi Holger,

Thank's for your responce. I have now read the two threads but that where things I already found out the hard way through trial and error and it is not exactly what I mean. I know how to do it manually, I have my backups and copies and even copies of the copies and backups.... FSX... I learnd it the hard way, and with about 550 scenery cfg entry's trust me you install more often then you fly. I just resently did a fresh install, invested in some new scenery and addons etc. and took a keg of beer and sat down for three weeks......

What I actually meant in the first place is that FTX central should keep track of changes of the default.xml, and other autogen related files.So when they change, FTXC should, once you start it make a backup of the currently installed files (default.xml autogen and roof descriptions.spb etc.) and restore them once I change back to FTX Global from one of the regions.....

open FTX....... compare FTX file version with actually installed fileversion....., if different (newer, bigger etc, copy to backup and restore later) change region.....

that can't be too difficult can it?

Further, when you newly install ORBX Global etc, it actually should merge those files on installation in stead of just replacing them with their ORBX's version.... 

An Autogen Mergeing Tool (that actually works) should be possible to program...? I'm not a developer so I can't really tell but if Scenery developers work with files, other scenery developers also depend upon, the the change should actually be done on the real user file, and not by replacing it with another version.... ruining the other scenerys.... 

P.S.: I had the same discussion with Earth Simulations, which also produce amazing scenery's but where not correctly merging the autogen, causing trouble. 

I have noticed that at least between ORBX and ES there is some sort of contact since in the past they confilicted and don't anymore.....

I am an old FSX user, and do know my way around computers, although I'm not a developer I quite well know how to work around FSX's flaws and the flaws of the scenerys I install.... however, a new user would propably comit suicide before he finds his way through the jungle of FSX's and Addon's.......(the support threads are a prove for that....)

and the second, regarding SceneryConfigEditor... 

well, if you find one additional line to each Scenery.cfg entry extensive then yes.........specially since its very complicated to work on since its a simple text file....

here is the link to their page (freeware) http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/index.html

its excellent software I suggest you download it and have a look at it, and maybe ORBX, when talking to the devs over there can include it to their products somehow..... 

As i said, It ads one line for every [Area.n] to the scenery.cfg  which is: "X_Groups=xxx". so I think it can't be to complicated to just leave this line in when processing the scenery.cfg.......

Interested in your views on these suggestions...

Cheers,

Richard

Archived