YBCS Triggering FSX "Stopped Responding"

Todd

Hello,

This is my first posting for assistance in years. I have many Orbx/FTX products installed and I have always been able to get them compatibly installed and running with all of my FSX applications.... that is, until just now with the Cairns Airport (YBCS). I had a nominal installation of of YCBS, and have repeated the install once just to be sure, tried setting FTX set on Oceania and also on Global/Hybrid, and each time I try and initiate a flight at FBCS, or even fliy into it from adjoining airspace, my FSX stops running and I am kicked-out to FSX with the usual "FSX has stopped responding..." boxed message. When I try and load a flight directly at YBCS the loading progress bar runs up to about 56-83% and then then FSX stops responding.

Curiously, all of the airports and regions in AU and NZ appear to be working just fine, as I can originated a flight normally from any of these; the problem seems to be isolated to Cairns/YBCS.

I am stumped and will welcome any suggestions on how to diagnose and repair this problem I am having.

Thanks,

Todd

Hi Todd,

did you already look what's written in the "event viewer"?

Spirit

Hi,

I am not familiar with the "event viewer" app that you are refering to. However I did another attempt at starting a flight from YBCS and got the same "Flight Simulator has stopped"... message. I then looked at the dump stored in the Windows Reliability app and found the following:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\FSX\fsx.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61637.0

Application Timestamp: 46fadb14

Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a67

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 72ebc9f5

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a67

Additional Information 2: 0a67899d84da386d66aa4d3906b24f4b

Additional Information 3: 15cc

Additional Information 4: 15cc4234a35fe9169409f60ab5c24571

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you think it would help to look at this "event viewer" please let me know what it is and where it is located. Thanks for the suggestion in any event.

The event viewer is located under "administrative tools". But you may find the same message. I guess one of the true experts can get a clou from it.

Spirit

PS: Google with this "StackHash error" maybe you get some more information

: Any more suggestions folks?

I have continued to experiment with this YBCS issue and the best I have been able to accomplish is to load the default MS C172 at active running with both the scenery and autogen reduced to the "NONE" setting. When this is done the load is stable for about a minute, or until you change the exterior view perspective, and then the FSX Stops responding.... APPCRASH occurs again.

By the way my VAS never goes above about 2GB when attempting to load YBCS, but does approach 3.4 GB during PMDG T7 flights into EU England EGLL and FSDT CYVR (my 2 most stressing cases... FPS just 10-14)

Thanks to those who have viewed my original posting on this issue. However, I am surprised and dissapointed that no one from the Orbx/FTX staff have made any suggestions thusfar on how to explore and hopefully sidestep this issue. As you can see from my signature I have installed most of the Orbx/FTX regions, FTX Global, and a number of the FTX Airports installed and they have always worked very well together and with my REX, UT2, UTX, FS Genesis mesh, and FSDT and Aerosoft airports.

I remain baffled, and so absent any further assistance I guess my only resourse will be to contact The Flightsim Store customer service folks and see if they can offer any assistance.

Sorry if your post got overlooked, sorry that we are only mortal humans that cannot be at all places at all times,

I'd start with disabling all non FTX related sceneries in your fsX Scenery control panel, hence disable all other 3rd party sceneries, you know what you have there

Sorry if your post got overlooked, sorry that we are only mortal humans that cannot be at all places at all times,

I'd start with disabling all non FTX related sceneries in your fsX Scenery control panel, hence disable all other 3rd party sceneries, you know what you have there

Wolter, I am happy that you have responded with some diagnostic suggestions.

I have done as you suggested and disabled ALL 3rd party scenery add-ons (there were quite a few, and included UTX stuff, airports, a few small regional scenery pieces, and non-FTX landclass). I then attempted a YBCS flight load and this time the FSX APPCRASH occured faster than before. The loading progress bar just got to the 6% point (i.e. loading terrain data) when FSX crashed. Previously I noticed that this "terrain data" stage while attempting a YBCS loading often appeared to be "struggling" as the progress bar slowed down to a crawl. I have my FSX on a big SSD and my loading time is usually just 10-20 seconds total for even the most complex scenario.

Just to add one more data point, I restarted FSX again and loaded the same flight at YBHM and everything worked just fine. I then attempted to use the "go to airport" menu selection to restart the flight at YBCS and got another immediate FSX APPCRASH.

Next step please; the 3rd party stuff is still disabled.

What explanations did you get with Google search? Nothing what could push you to the right path finding the fault? I guess you've to find the solution by your own because it's difficult to diagnose it from outside.

Spirit

Got some help from a non-Orbx forum and got a partial fix. The problem was traced down to a missing or corrupted file during the installation phase of AUSP4. These were the unspecified decompression type errors that the installer can report when installing a region into FSX. The option is given to abort, retry or skip upon encountering these errors. I did uninstall and fresh reinstall of AUSP4 amd encountered no problems with the FSS download, zip extraction (CRC and integrity checks passed), the FSS online registration, and the FSS unwrapping operation. The installer hit a few decompression errors, I chose the skip option. The installation finished normally and the wrapper eas exited.

Problem is, was that YBCS would still not load and caused the now too familiar FSX APPCRASH. I then disabled FTXAU18_CUSTOM in the FSX scenery library and lo and behold YBCS and the surrounding AU GREEN scenery and shores loaded and ran just fine. I don't know what I am in missing with FTXAU18_CUSTOM disabled but at least I can fly in the region again. Still I wish there were a way to get an uncorrupted/complete installation. Seems like when the files get bigger than 2GB more folks encounter problems with zip extraction and decompression errors.

How much space did you have at the drive where you decompressed and installed the addon?

If you get any error during decompression or installation then the addon can't work correctly. You can't expect a good working FSX if something like this happened during the installation process. The problem for these errors has to be solved.

Spirit

How much space did you have at the drive where you decompressed and installed the addon?

If you get any error during decompression or installation then the addon can't work correctly. You can't expect a good working FSX if something like this happened during the installation process. The problem for these errors has to be solved.

Spirit

I had 531GB available on a 1TB. The errors I encountered were during the installation phase and were identified as decompression errors.

I had 531GB available on a 1TB. The errors I encountered were during the installation phase and were identified as decompression errors.

With 531 GB free space you're fine but the decompression errors shouldn't have been. Did you try to download the whole thing again? Can you provide us with a screenshot of this error alert?

Spirit

Archived