Nearly got the hang of this screenshot procedure . DC-10 Calgary to Vancouver

ninja123

Hi Graeme,

Very nice.

3 days ago I flew from Montreal back to Vancouver. Work Christmas party the night before so slept from 15 minutes out of Montreal and woke up just as the Rockies were starting. Looking out of the window I could also see another large jet fly below us diagonally with the large trail behind it. The scenery looked just like your shots but dusk time and a photograph out of the window wouldn't do it justice. The best view I've had yet in North America.

Next time on the way back I'll sit the same side but get an earlier flight so can see Mt Baker.

Andrew

Andrew ,

One of my favourite flying grounds is around Vancouver / Cascades / Rockies / Seattle .

Reminds me of the 4 weeks I spent in Vancouver ( years ago ) , flying around with a friend .

The flight up to Kelowna and Penticton was spectacular . I was blessed with good weather all the time I was there in March .

The view from VCR to Mt Baker is breathtaking .

Hi Graeme,

This shot is not too far off Kelowna so may bring back memories. It's a screen shot taken from a quick movie I took taking off from Vancouver and recorded the first 15 mins before the 2gb card filled up.

Posted Image

These other two were on the way back pretty much at the time I previously mentioned after waking up. The screen shots are terrible quality but you can make out where the Rockies start.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had plans on taking lessons for my PPL at Boundary bay but I can't find any spare time at the moment as work will hopefully get my wife and I out to Australia if I plan things right. Lucky if I get the yoke and pedals out for FSX.

Andrew

Also wanted to add....

I may have a nice New Years gift for you to bring back memories of flying in this area and keep you busy until Orbx bring out their NW product.

A while back I got interested in the program for making your own scenery and overlay the default nasty FSX scenery

It's called FS Earth Tiles

http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/read.php?f=9&i=6835&t=6835

It makes photo scenery bgl's but obviously no autogen so you have to add that later if you get interested in it.

I ended up with roughly the area below.

Posted Image

Vancouver Area

scenery and texture files (24.3gb) 0.5m/Pix. I also cut out the lakes and coastline so I can land my floatplane ;-)

Local Airports overlay (751 mb) less than 0.5m/Pix

Abbotsford_BC

Boundary Bay_BC

Campell River_CYBL

Chilliwack_BC

Delta Heritage_BC

Fort Langley_BC

Langley_BC

Nanaimo

Pitt Meadows_BC

Victoria INT

Vancouver 19m mesh (76mb)

I actually have the scenery from the Canada/US border down to Crater lake national Park,Oregon at 4m/Pix. It starts at the coast and goes inland to approx as far at the city of Bend. I made it just so there was something basic to see but not super quality. All good fun when I had lots of spare time.

Not sure what the rules are for 'giving' someone home made scenery that have images from one of the well known on line mapping services? it is all just photo scenery though so not much good if your into trees, buildings etc.

My homemade home town (York UK) photo scenery weighs in at 12.8gb so you can see why FTX is so popular.

Let me know  ;)

Andrew

Andrew ,

Thank you for the great screenshots . Looks just as I remember , although we were a bit lower in a Rockwell Aero Commander , about 8000ft , I think .

I have recently purchased GEX for USA / Canada / Alaska , specifically to override the poor default environment around Vancouver . I find it is quite satisfying until PNW-FTX arrives .

John Venema assures me that when PNW is installed , there will be no conflict and a seamless transition when leaving the Vancouver area .

Have a happy Christmas .

I do envy you having a White Christmas .

No problem.

I was just a little fussy and wanted the 'real thing' down there to practice flying lessons from Boundary Bay Airport plus for some strange reason I actually enjoyed the hours on the computer making the photo scenery.

We have too much snow out there for Vancouver. Unless it's a main street it doesn't get cleared so the sound of plastic snow shovels everywhere freeing out the cars. All good fun.

Merry Christmas to you to and hope it's relaxing.

All the best,

Andrew

Andrew ,

Now that I think that I am  confident of posting screenshots , standby for some Kelowna/Penticton with GEX .

Happy Christmas .

Santa will probably see you , with in  all that snow , before he gets to us , downunder .

Archived