NZQN - No seasons?

Adam Banks

NZQN has been made to fit with FTX SI seasonal settings, while it does snow at the airport occasionally there is no specific time of the year when it always has snow. Photoreal areas do not react to weather settings, so while you can make it snow using the weather engine or weather themes with the landclass tiles changing to Hard Winter textures, this does not happen with PR.

PR seasonal changes are purely based on date settings and for the purposes of NZQN they have been set to match FTX SI season settings

Holger does a lot of research using real world data to set the seasonal and climatic changes within a FTX region, the reality is while then whakatipu area does get snow down to lake level it is not consistent nor is it sustained over long periods eg Queenstown is not covered in snow for a continuous month long period. Though it may be covered for three days in July.

I could have made a Hard Winter PR set and have it set to be like that for all of July or even for July 23rd, but the rest of the FTX region would not match it, unless we retired FTX SI to do the same. The romantic in me wanted to do that but it's outside of the scope of our development approach where the FTX region sets the basis on which that's add on scenery needs to match

So in short NZQN has a Summer and a Winter mode to match FTX SI seasonal setting coded into the SI region

So in short NZQN has a Summer and a Winter mode to match FTX SI seasonal setting coded into the SI region

What happens in Winter SI mode then? I don't see any difference <?>. What dates define Winter SI mode? I'll re-run my test and take a look-see.

I'd forgotten that so much of the airport areas is photo-real - and its implications ;)

Adam.

It uses the winter PR. you can't force PR to change season other than to change the season in the FSX menu, weather themes have no effect on PR. you can go to YMML or YBBN and set Winter Wonderland wether theme but the PR will stay at the season determined by the FSX date.

QN summer is browner and has no snow on the hills and mountains, this matches the FTX SI Seasons.

You are confusing weather themes with season settings which is a date range. They don't work together like that. Only landclass tiles can change dynamically to wether themes. But landclass tiles also change with dates and other complex variables such as altitude. in general Winter I think is June to August.

If you keep you weather set at clear, and set the simulator season to winter you will see the FTX SI landclass and QN PR fit perfectly, because we did not set the Queenstown area to be covered in snow just because its winter

Archived