Queenstown in winter...?

Timmy74

Hi Guys,

I would just like to check if this is on my end?  I flew into Queenstown in winter and noticed that there was no snow there?  Is this correct or do I have a bad install?

LIBkW.jpg

I had August 15th and "Winter Wonderland" selected.

Kind regards.

Tim...

You really need to bear in mind that when you select 'Winter Wonderland' -- or have heavy snow at any time -- the landclass textures will switch to the Hard Winter version just while it's snowing. A photoscenery just includes different textures for different times of the year, so there is really no 'hard winter' texture to switch to. The real test is how the photoscenery blends with normal NZSI winter textures, and it seems to blend well.

I would have liked to see more snow in winter, but it still needs to blend with NZSI, which doesn't ever show a lot of snow around Queenstown.

This problem with 'snowy weather' texture switching is really an issue with any photoscenery, and I don't think there's a solution.

Hello;

"This problem with 'snowy weather' texture switching is really an issue with any photoscenery, and I don't think there's a solution."

One "solution" which isnt perfect but better than the current proposal imho, is to generate a black and white version of the photoreal texturing, most of the time it is okish, I think that the current offering isn't what we expect from the usual orbx 5 seasons pack.

Etienne

One "solution" which isnt perfect but better than the current proposal imho, is to generate a black and white version of the photoreal texturing, most of the time it is okish, I think that the current offering isn't what we expect from the usual orbx 5 seasons pack.

Well, no, it isn't going to help in this case -- the problem isn't that they didn't build a white-out winter texture, but that even if they did, FSX doesn't know how to switch this on when it snows. It can only display it for specific months. The screenshot above isn't the NZSI winter textures, it is specifically the 'winter wonderland' weather theme. It would look exactly the same if it was taken in summer. Try it yourself -- set the season to summer, choose the winter wonderland weather theme, and fly around your town.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have liked to see a nice snowy NZQN during the winter, as that's the only way I've ever seen Queenstown in reality -- I've skied there when I was young. But it wouldn't make sense to paint a photo white, and stick it into NZSI which has patchy snow coverage at best.

Archived