Re-installing FSX, re-install FTX Global?

southie4

Since I've read that FSX is best installed outside of the Program Files folder, in order to avoid potential permission issues, I'm uninstalling FSX and re-installing it onto the root of my C drive.  Will I have to also re-install FTX Global or do I just need to re-apply it from FTX Central?

The zip file from my original FTX Global download now gives me a message that the file is now invalid when I try to open it.  The same thing happened after downloading the file again. 

I assume that I'll have to re-run my Pacific Northwest executable.

Any idea why I have never seen any Orbx control panels when I click on that in FTX Central?

Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

when you are moving it to another drive with a re-install of fsX you'll have to re-install your addons as well, otherwise you are prone to run into trouble as quite a number of addons rely on the registry entry to find fsX

best is to do a clean install, and I humbly advice against installing it on your C drive, if you have the option then install fsX on it's own dedicated drive, saves a load of hassle and frustration and keeps fsX tidy as on the C drive all the stuff gets written ead removed and is actually in constant mayhem

I'm now downloading the FTX Global uninstaller file from this forum.

I read this on another forum a couple of weeks ago:

"Adding a partition after the fact will place it on a slower portion of the drive.

Partitions are nice for the ability to defrag them separately, but, the HD only has one read/write head, so speed will not increase."

Assuming that this is accurate, what kind of problems might I run into if FSX is installed on the C drive but not in Program Files?  After all, it was on the C drive to start with.

Thanks,

Robert

Robert,

I didn't say creating a partition, I did say a dedicated drive for fsX solely, so please do not mix things up.

as said on the C drive all your stuff gets written and deleted hence all files are mixed up all over the drive, on a dedicated drive you have all your fsX files together and they get mostly read and not written to so that will affect loading times in a positive way, plus added bonus, in case you C drive goes tit's up you still have all your fsX stuff safely on that drive.

over to you

Robert,

I didn't say creating a partition, I did say a dedicated drive for fsX solely, so please do not mix things up.

as said on the C drive all your stuff gets written and deleted hence all files are mixed up all over the drive, on a dedicated drive you have all your fsX files together and they get mostly read and not written to so that will affect loading times in a positive way, plus added bonus, in case you C drive goes tit's up you still have all your fsX stuff safely on that drive.

over to you

I presently have two internal drives, one of which is cloned on a regular basis onto the other, so that if a catastrophic problem affects my main drive, I'd merely swap the two drives and then clone the good, backup drive onto the now bad, main drive, resulting in the backup becoming the main drive and vice versa (assuming that the problem was not mechanical and the ex-main drive could be used).   In light of this, if I were to dedicate a drive for FSX and related files, creating a partition on my main drive (and then cloning it) would be one way that I could create a dedicated drive.

Robert,

bonus, in case you C drive goes tit's up you still have all your fsX stuff safely on that drive.

over to you

"..(goes tits up..". I don't think I have ever heard that expression. Now, I will hAve to figure out how to uses that in conversation....maybe something like, please pass the pepper before everything goes tits up..

I love it!

Archived