Experienced Advice Please! (Time sensitive Question)

wingclip

Hi All,

I'm at a precarious point in the re-installation of my entire FSX collection. What I do next MAY mean the difference between 'smooth running and problem after problem engagements'.

I've done clean installations of my O/S and FSX before, but never like this. About 3 weeks ago, I installed an SSD, (256GB), and did a clean O/S installation to that drive along with a few MS & Adobe programs. I also installed (2) 1TB HDDs one of which takes all my remaining programs I use on a regular basis.

That has been working great, and yesterday I began installing FSX, (I have the 3-disc deluxe Gold version w/Accl Pack), to the other 1TB HDD which I named the "Z" Drive. This HDD is strictly for FSX and so is a Dedicated drive. I have GEX, UTX, ST, and of course, FTX, along with a number of Pacific Island scenery etc, etc.

I know I have a rather long road to go and though FSX and FSUIPC are the only things installed at this time, they are running great. I did make a few quick changes in the fsx.cfg like changing the 'wideAspectView' to 'True' and adding two lines in the "Terrain" section that I had learned from some “Holger posts†a year ago or so.

But now I want to know what some of you may install first at this point, if given this same scenario? Should I install ALL my FTX stuff first and then use the FTX central to manipulate library placements of all the following scenery related stuff like UTX, GEX and ST, (I have more but those are the 'big ones')?

Or should I lay down the GEX stuff first? All my GEX and UTX cover North America and Alaska but then GEX goes on to cover AF& ME, SA, and the Pacific Tropics and more.

SO; What would you do?

Thanks, Rich

PS: My window of opportunity to do this is quickly shrinking so I'll have to start installing today and soon. So if you have a minute to reply, the sooner the better. :)

My basic system specs:

Windows 7 H.P. 64bit /FSX Deluxe Gold w/Accl Pack

Asrock Z 77 Extreme 4 /16 gigs Ram /700W PSU /Intel i7 2600K /Radeon HD 7850PE /CPU cooling with Swiftech H220, (4) 120mm fans push/pull config) /OS drive: Plextor M5 Pro 256GB SSD /Prgrm Drives: (2) Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA 3 HDD

If i may QUOTE  Wolter: 

Wolter van der Spoel                           

Orbx VIP

Administrators

clean slate install:

make sure all traces of fsX are deleted, registry programs folders etc etc

reboot the PC

install fsX+Acceleration, test before installing anything else

install ST mesh, test before installing anything else

install UTX, test before installing anything else

install REX, test before installing anything else

install the FTX products + FTX updates that where released BEFORE FTX Global, again test, check everything before the next one

install FTX Global

that should about cover it  : Quote end.

Kind regards

Henrik

I would advice this order:

FSX + accell (which you already have installed)

ST

UTX

GEX

Other scenery addons

FTX

Obviously my advice would also be to skip GEX and get FTX Global instead ;) which should be installed as last as stated in Wolter's quote.

Be sure to layer ST the right way (using the FSX Scenery Library) in between UTX landclass layers (afaik it's adviced to put it underneath UTX urban LC and above UTX vegetation LC, but I only own UTX Europe so I don't know for sure if this is also adviced for UTX USA).

Thank you very much!! I'm surprised that you recommend ST, (Scenery Tech SA and AF), as the first installations! But I certainly will take that advice.

However, J Van E mentions layering ST between the UTX Landclass Layers, ( I understand this process so that's not a problem), so wouldn't installing the UTX stuff first be the way to go?

I mean, and then I would install ST and place it in the proper location if it was not placed there in the install, right?

Please don't get me wrong here, I'm only asking this because of the statement J Van E made regarding the ST layering check. I'm certainly not second guessing and will definitely follow this process. I'm just trying to understand that part.

Thanks again, Rich

As far as i understand it dosent really matter in what order, except for the FTX + patches and FTX Global (install last)

Its just convinient to do it in a kind of order. 

I havent GEX or SceneryTech Land class??, so i cant really tell.

But personly i will install mine like this (what i have):

FSX+Acc+SDK

FSUIPC4

Mesh (FS Global Ult.).

UTX

FTX+Patchs

FTXG

Tonga, OZX,RTMM, Ants ao.

Opus

UT2

And on and on

......And hope for the best 8) (just kidding)

Also se this:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/61929-ftx-global-what-is-it-all-about/

Henrik

OK, Thanks to all!

In fact, it appears I'm going in the right direction, (and Henrik, that FS Global Mesh is something I'm going to check out now).

Thanks again and yes Wolt, I'll check that link out too.

Rich

Archived