"trees on the runway" report here please

Matt McGee

Is there a place to report trees on runways?  (I've seen the thread for SAK tree reporting.)

Since buying FTX Global, I've been exploring more outside my Orbx regions and I'm finding trees on some runways.

(LICZ and CYLT today, plus a couple more earlier in the week that I didn't write down).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well if we are at it let's make it this one, ;)

but please be so kind and add the following to your posts on the subject:

ICAO code for an airfield, also in case of which other addons related to the area your encountered the issue and if need be add Coordinates, Altitude and Heading.

also please state which addon you have installed that could have an influence on the location/airfield in question.

Which scenery addon or addons you have installed that could relate to the given location/airfield

also a screenshot of the "offenders" would be welcome

:)

CYZD - All over the parking apron.

I've made a quick fix AFCAD but can't figure out how to attach it to this post.

This is the airport for the first Majestic Dash tutorial, so I guess I'm not the only one who's seen this :)

Hi,

I have found the same issue at LDSP (add on DAVOR PULJEVIC - CROATIAN AIRPORTS). It seems resolved moving down the 3 entries, added by FTX Gloabl at the beginning of the scenery list, just before the UTX entries and so after all the other airports add ons.

Hi,I'd like to share a few screenshots of the impact FTXG has on my local airport. However, could anyone point me to the area that would show me how to attach/include screenshots in my post?

Thanks,

JJ

how to post screenshots on our forums, then please have a read here =>

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/38447-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/?

p=335815

Hi,

I'm sharing an example of FTXG's impact on my local airport, the impact being trees in one of the parking area and on the taxiway leading to the single runway (9/27).

Screenshots 1A and 1B are taken with the following FTX Central options activated: FTXGlobal (FTXG), Use Orbx Trees (UOT), Hybrid Mode (HM) and Vector Road Light (VRL).

When the same screenshots are viewed with the above options except UOT, the result is the same.

Screenshots 2A and 2B are taken with the following FTX Central options activated: FTXG and VRL.

Looking forward to a fix and an uninstaller (for temporary uninstalls).

Regards,

Jean-Jacques

1A - CYND West Parking Area - FTXG+UOT+HM+VRL

GoKEh.jpg

1B - CYND Taxiway - FTXG+UOT+HM+VRL

SIOFm.jpg

2A - CYND West Parking Area - FTXG+VRL

W4Su.jpg

2B - CYND Taxiway - FTXG+VRL

g5Rx.jpg

For anybody interested, the West Parking area of CYND as it appeared before the installation of FTXG is featured in the first 5 or so minutes of the following video:

Cheers, JJ

Hi!

Just happened to fly between EGPI Islay and EGEC Cambeltown and both have trees on runways and ramps!

Bill

Sorry, forgot to let you know which addons were active! I have FTXGlobal (Europe selected on FTX Central), EU Scotland and UTX Europe active!

"guys, please state which addon you have active at the given locations"

Regarding my post above about CYND (Gatineau/Ottawa Executive Airport), I have FTX Global and Ultimate Terrain X (Canada v1.2) active and of course CYND freeware scenery (by Pierre Gallant).

JJ

. . . and here's something other than trees! A second CN Tower in Toronto!

I do hope that this is not unique to my setup and that this type of anomaly along with others can be corrected once an update to FTXG becomes available. I've been seriously considering re-installing FSX from scratch and not reinstalling the first version of FTXG until its negative impact in certain areas has been corrected. If this turns out to be unique to my FSX installation, then I'll definitely proceed to re-install FSX which increasingly appears to be the ultimate solution until a new updated version of FTXG is available. It's unfortunate because I really like the new scenery.

Bbqvc.jpg

FTXG + UTX. Cheers!

JJ

. . . and here's something other than trees! A second CN Tower in Toronto!

I do hope that this is not unique to my setup and that this type of anomaly along with others can be corrected once an update to FTXG becomes available. I've been seriously considering re-installing FSX from scratch and not reinstalling the first version of FTXG until its negative impact in certain areas has been corrected. If this turns out to be unique to my FSX installation, then I'll definitely proceed to re-install FSX which increasingly appears to be the ultimate solution until a new updated version of FTXG is available. It's unfortunate because I really like the new scenery.

Bbqvc.jpg

FTXG + UTX. Cheers!

JJ

Toronto likes to think it's NYC so the guys at ORBX gave them their own twin towers.

as for the trees on the runways issue guys, Holger posted an answer in another post, so I'm only quoting him on the subject

Hi guys,

it looks to me as if the issue with the trees on the runway is due to the various add-ons not using one of the default airport grounds landclass types, which don't have autogen. There are some non-airport classes in default FSX that also don't have autogen but they do in the FTXG replacement textures and thus add-ons that use these classes will display unwanted autogen. In short, this isn't an issue with lclookup.bgl or terrain.cfg but simply default versus FTXG textures and autogen with an add-on that uses a non-standard class for their airport grass polygons. does the situation change at all whether you select FTXG hybrid mode or not?

The easiest fix would probably be to add local autogen excludes with ADE or SBuilderX, by someone who owns that add-on, and then share those files in our compatibility subforum with other users.

Cheers, Holger

I don't know the extent of this issue but it does sound like it is showing up all over the place... I am wondering which default texture file(s) those would be that Orbx has "changed" by adding autogen that in the default had no autogen.  Knowing which files those are might help regarding scope and breadth of the issue. 

What would happen if the default FSX texture was used instead of the modified version by Orbx....would the impact be very negative on flying experience in a broader context?  There might be "tons" of airports in this category that would need excludes.

Also if the posters could identify what addons this issue is surfacing, whether or not they are commercial vs freeware or done by a particular author that could/would help immensely.  What addons might these be?

As part of my consideration on a purchase of FTXG I am scoping all the issues and impacts to be sure I want to make the move and to know what obstacles I will be encountering.

as for the trees on the runways issue guys, Holger posted an answer in another post, so I'm only quoting him on the subject

The only scenery add on I have is FTX Global and I have found trees where trees didn't exist with the default scenery ...so it's an issue with FTXGlobal.

Hi, I'm running FTXG and PNW but I forgot to mention that I am running Ultimate Terrain from Flight1.  I didn't think that UTX inserted any textures but I'll do some checking and see if that might be the problem.

Mark

Edit:  After fully disabling UTX it removed the unwanted autogen from KSVE.  I'm going to try now and see if I can isolate exactly what section of the UTX landclass is causing the problem.  Hopefully I'll have more news later.

Edit2: After doing some quick and dirty checking, I think, that the culprit on my system is the layer called "LC9 Vegetative Landclass layer" in UTX.  I disabled it and left everything else the same as before and I now have no unwanted autogen at KSVE.  I will do some checking at other airports and report back asap, but if anyone else is using UTX they might try this and see if it helps.

“ must be another local scenery running there, I get only one tower hereâ€

Hi Wolter,

You were right! The double CN Tower issue in Toronto is caused by an addon scenery adjacent to the Tower, the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport CYTZ and can be solved by deactivating it. But the cost is I loose a much improved airport in comparison to FSX's default airport.

My initial reaction after deactivating CYTZ was to write to the author about the issue. However, I'm not sure that the issue existed before installing FTXG and if not, and especially after reading Holger Sandmann's recent post about the possible cause behind the 'trees' issue, then I don't think the author should be contacted based on the firm belief that when the scenery was developed, FSX's SDK was respected. In addition, surely the double Tower issue would have surfaced and rectified before today considering that the scenery file was made available in October 2012 and downloaded, as of this date, 1434 times.

After reading Holger Sandmann's initial findings shared in his post dated 11 August, I have difficulty accepting his suggestion that the fault behind the issue is that certain addons use non-standard class for their airport grass polygons. Where FTXG has been installed, the 'tree' issue can also be found in certain default FSX airports. See the screenshot below entitled 'CYZD Toronto-Downsview'.

CYZD Toronto-Downsview (FTXG+UTX-Canada v1.2+FlightOntario's Ontario Lanclass X (Ontario Custom Farmland Landclass and Ontario Default Landclass)

Wc2R6.jpg

Based on this, I doubt very much that the responsibility should be placed on airport scenery developers who have, as I see it, respected for the most part the FSX's SDK either directly or indirectly through the use of third-party scenery tools.

Over the years, I've populated my version of FSX with a good number of both freeware and payware versions of Canadian airports. In the next week or so, I hope to have visited and tested every third-party Canadian airport scenery installed in my version of FSX and report my findings on this forum. I will also randomly pick default airports and include anomalies, if any, in my report.

All in the spirit of constructive criticism.

Regards,

JJ

KTRK, Truckee, CA, USA trees in taxiways and runways.

GEX, FTXG others in my signature

Just checked mine no 3rd party afcad, but I use UTXUSA. No trees on my taxiways or runways. Plenty lining the perimeter fence but that's normal. I looked on AVSIM and there is a 3rd party scenery file with a CVX file, do you have that, or some other addon with a CVX file? If yes, try renaming the cvx file with an extention other than .bgl. That was what I found is causing the problem with me.

I do not use UTX after having installed FTXG. I have hundreds of files with CVX somewhere in the name. Some are Tongass Fjords, some are Fly Tampa, ADF AI, TrafficX Airports, etc. Non with KTRK and CVX in the same name. Maybe I'll just put some exclusion rectangles in. See what that does.

I'm hoping someone from ORBX/FTX will reply.

This started for me after I installed Australi all four and it changed the FTX Central back to the old version with 2 copies of FTX GOBAL and no options below for the trees hybrid and lights.  So I reinstalled global and it  comes with error code Terrain.cfg has no [landclass )section?

What I find is I'm getting these on freeware afcad airports, that include a .cvx file. If I rename the extention the problem goes away. So far I haven't seen it on any payware airports.

All the ones I found have been on Global FTX, that's all I use and they weren't there on default FSX.

Archived