Major stutters/frame rate issues in FTXG

Rexbo47

I have two monitors, one a high resolution Samsung 3d capable monitor that other an LED tv with HD capability.  There are not jaggies on my Samsung (because I can really crank up the resolution with high AA and I have some, including runway edges a bit on the LED monitor because I can't turn up the resolution as high as my monitor.

When I flip my sim between the two sources it becomes fairly obvious.

Still however I love flying on the TV 40" screen, total immersion.

Thanks for all input guys!

I guess this is one of those things one need to learn just ignoring and fact is it was only after I replaced my drivers I noticed this but I think I had this "problem" all the time only that I looked more closely now when trying this other driver.

Might be so I could get rid of this problem using a high quality monitor running at a higher resolution but I just love the feeling flying on a 40" screen so I will just try to forget I ever noticed this ;)

Tried all the suggestions here (including John's suggestion on moving up landclass entries (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/62313-oom-problems-with-ftx-global/) but I still end up with a slideshow after 5 minutes of flight. Argh.

I am also running DX10 and Win8 (which may explain why I don't get OOMs instead). 

You got this problem with each aircraft?

Spirit

32x or "Sparse Grid Supersampling" will reduce shimmering. I run with

" 32xs [Combined: 2x2 ss + 8x MS] and 16x AF " and am very pleased with the quality and performance.

My poor little 560 just can't handle Sparse Grid with FSX....

Also SweetFX and some ENB settings will kill AA.. Any Sharpening filters to be precise.

I also have a habit of clearing Shader cache every time a setting is changed.

Can you take a screenshot of your Nvidia Inspector on the FSX profile?

Can you take a screenshot of your Nvidia Inspector on the FSX profile?

I also Disable "AA" in FSX and set filtering to "Trilinear".

This may not work well for you however, I can only go as far as "1366 X 768" Screen resolution using a 32" LED HDTV for FSX.

qJ6ix.jpg

I have just run into Stutters myself that I can't explain... Without FTXG. All has been smooth for ages, then out of the blue.. no changes to FSX, stutters appear.

New clean CFG, Shader Flush, Page file rebuild, Defrag.. no cigar.

Not FPS related either, FPS are externally locked at 30 and maintain 30. Something became corrupt and not sure what/where. Time for a full start-over anyways... MAN i'm getting tired of always having to FIX something so this sim will run right. It's like owning a JAG...

Your nVidia settings are confusing me. Why the "32xs [Combined: 2x2 ss + 8x MS]" is there any major benefit because I think it sucks up to 3 FPS?

Spirit

The benefit on my system is massive compared to NickN's recommended settings.

There is no Generic (one size fits all) scenario for FSX. Every setting is governed by the hardware utilized. The fact that I am limited to 1366x768 is probably the reason these settings work so well on my system. My FPS are not effected much (if at all). Now off to try and resolve my latest stuttering issue...

Hmmmm .... "External Frame Limiter" stopped working and I just didn't notice the fluctuating FPS causing stutters before now. Eating my words right now... :)

Can't imagine what could have caused it to stop working.. not using ENB, SweetFx... ect. It just won't work anymore.

Switched over to internal frame lock @ 30FPS and all is smooth as butter again. I prefer external as it just seems to work better on higher settings and NVidia Limiter doesn't seem to work at all on my rig.

This is just plain weird...

You got this problem with each aircraft?

Spirit

Is the Slideshow temporary? Maybe 5-10 seconds and then goes away for awhile... if so then it is probably related to weather injection. 

If not then ...... ?? .....

Thanks for the replies - I was getting this with any aircraft and weather injection was set to 60 minutes so that wasn't it. In desperation, I reinstalled FTXG "in-place" right over top of the old installation and lo and behold it fixed the issue. Very very strange...

Ah well...all well that ends well!

I also Disable "AA" in FSX and set filtering to "Trilinear".

This may not work well for you however, I can only go as far as "1366 X 768" Screen resolution using a 32" LED HDTV for FSX.

qJ6ix.jpg

Thanks. I will try those settings for my next flight.

So you don't see any difference between using your settings and any supersampling settings like sparse grid?

Thanks. I will try those settings for my next flight.

So you don't see any difference between using your settings and any supersampling settings like sparse grid?

Sparse Grid is most definitely better overall.. but I cant use it with this 560. An x70 - x80 series card might handle SG though...

Thanks for the tip on the 301.42's.

I've tried every whql driver from the 314's on up and have had nothing but problems on my 6 series card, including screen lock ups, CTD's, black ground textures squares when an airport come into view, etc. It was seemingly never ending problems.

I just did a complete flush of the latest batch of whql's using the instructions posted here: http://modcrash.com/nvidia-display-driver-damaging-gpus/#.UdpP3vmL1QA and installed the 301.42's.

I must say, the 301.42's are the best driver I have used to date on my 6 series card. Done about 6 flights using them and no lockups, CTD's or black squares (not the DX10 thing with lights). Plus the sim is running smoother and FPS are much higher. Probably the best FSX has ever run for me  :D

Thanks so much for the tip!!!! Looks like the 301.42's were the magic driver I have been looking for.

Actually, I should be thanking YOU for the tips on how to do a complete Flush!!! 

Now I can do it CORRECTLY.... :)

Actually, I should be thanking YOU for the tips on how to do a complete Flush!!! 

Now I can do it CORRECTLY.... :)

No problem, didn't even think anyone would click that post. It's funny that even when I remove the old drivers from the control panel it still leaves stuff behind even when checking the box in the installer for a Clean Install. I have gone back and found parts of the old driver still left. It might not make a difference, but I like to start as clean as possible and this seemed like the best way to do it. Not only that, but I dont like using "driver cleaners" for fear that something might accidentally get removed that shouldn't be removed. At least this way I can check for myself what is being deleted instead of having a program do it for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I can only repeat my findings: What caused my problems was that my scenery.cfg showed FTX regions although I set the whole thing to global. Switching to a region and then switching back to global immediately afterwards fixed all my problems. Since then I have excellent FPS (and an excellent view from the planes).

I have also major FPS issue around EKCH Copenhagen. Do you have hybrid active or not?

Michael Moe

Archived