Maor RAF bases in UK

Bassman

Just to plan some flights around the UK I am interested in how many operational bases are left? I mean the ones from which flights are conducted. i.e. RAF Benbecula and RAF Tain are said to be "Other Scottish Bases - Not RAF flying bases".

Also for example some UK websites do not show RAF Lakenheath; is that a "US" AFB?

PS" please excuse the poor spelling in  the title, of course I mean "Major" RAF Bases....

Hello chap,

For RAF stations used by USAF try Lakenheath, Mildenhall or Fairford.

For Transport use Brize Norton (C17, Tristar, C130, VC10) or Waddington (E3D). Fast Jets units try Coningsby (Typhoon), Leeming (Hawk), Leuchars (Typhoon), Lossiemouth (Tornado GR4), or Marham (GR4). Scampton for the Red Arrows. Benson (Puma, Merlin), Odiham (Chinook), Shawbury (Griffin, Squirrel), Middle Wallop (Apache, Lynx), Wattisham (Apache) or Topcliffe (Lynx) for helicopters. Linton on Ouse (Tucano) or Valley (Hawk) for FW Training. St Athan, Cosford, Colerne, Woodvale, Wyton, or Barkston Heath for elementary flying training (Grob Tutor) and Cranwell (Tutor, Kingair)

That should keep you going.

List above is great.

Tain is a bombing range used by the Tornadoes from Lossiemouth. Lossiemouth is a very busy base and is a good starting point as its close to some very rural areas for low flying practise.

Valley is very busy too, used for fast jet training. The "Mach loop' is just south of valley, search it in you tube.

Marham is also one of the busiest with more tornadoes along with the F15e from Lakenheath.

Archived