PNW Demo Rake's Glen WA59 floating

Hi,

Arbitrarily chose WA59.  Discovered floating runway.  Came here and saw a reference to a floating runway in a Sticky so I clicked it.  Saw reference to a patch.  Checked and found patch only applies to full version.

Now my question.  Is the sticky wrong in referencing the patch in this the freeware support forum or does the patch, in fact, apply to the demo?

Also, is there anyway I can correct the WA59 floating runway?

Jim F.

Hi Jim,

OK, a couple of questions.  Have you tried several other demo airports and found any others incorrect?  In PNW I have raised WA59 to 64 ft (from 50 ft in stock FSX) but I'm pretty sure the PNW demo uses the same mesh as the full version and should need that elevation change.  If you have other airports with mismatched elevations I suggest you reinstall the demo. 

If you've uninstalled the demo and are using stock FSX you will need to remove the PNW elevations files from FSX Scenery/World/Scenery as I don't think the demo uninstaller does that.

Please let me know what you're trying to do.

Cheers, Neil

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I recently installed Gold on an SSD.  I installed the demo 2 days ago but just got around to checking it out today.  I arbitrarily chose WA59 and discovered the problem.   I made sure the suggested scenery settings were correct (they were) and again chose WA59.  Same problem so I took off, Landed at 2 nearby airports and didn't notice problems at either.

I'm very impressed with the demo and would prefer not to uninstall it.  I'll probably never visit this airport again so unless other problems are found I'll just ignore it.  

In a rather strange co-incidence I did see the added BGLs in the World/Scenery folder earlier today.  Didn't pay attention to the one for WA59 though.  I looked again and it's there.

As to what I'm trying to do; I'm trying to keep my new FSX installation as orderly as possible.  As I make any changes I'm trying to identify any problems.

Getting back to my original question; is the sticky correct or does the patch apply to the demo?

Jim F.

Hi again,

I suspect the PNW patch does not apply to the demo, which is stand alone.  As I have PNW installed obviously the demo is not so I can't verify your issue.  To remove the effects of the elevation file just change the .BGL to .OFF for the "ADE_FTX_PNW_WA59_elevation_adjustment"  file in your World/Scenery/world folder.  That should bring the WA59 rwy down to 50 ft, but I suspect if you need that change the demo mesh is not showing up and you may have elevation issues at other airports.

Hope this helps, Neil

Hi again,

I both renamed and removed the bgl with the same results.

No bgl VC

jnrm.th.jpg

No bgl Spot

wmwv.th.jpg

bgl Spot

1gvw.th.jpg

It appears that the bgl is required but it doesn't quite correspond to the mesh.

Jim F.

Hi Jim,

1. I assume you mean this sticky thread? http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/36116-khqm-bowerman-floating-runway-install-the-pnw005-patch/ . That is for people who use the freeware KHQM with the full version of PNW. The PNW demo already includes KHQM and the PNW.005 patch is indeed only for the full version.

2. There should not be any display issue with WA59 assuming you have "ADE_FTX_PNW_WA59_Rakes_Glen.BGL" and "ADE_FTX_PNW_WA59_Rakes_Glen_CVX.bgl" in \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY\scenery and "ADE_FTX_PNW_WA59_elevation_adjustment.BGL" in \Scenery\World\Scenery. Deactivating the elevation_adjustment won't help because its elevation is coupled to the flattens in the "ADE_FTX_PNW_WA59_Rakes_Glen_CVX.bgl" file. More likely you have some third-party WA59 file that uses a different altitude. I'd suggest running a Windows search of your entire FSX fodler tree for .bgl files with "WA59" as part of their names; any file that doesn't also include "FTX" might be the culprit.

Cheers, Holger

Hi,

With the explanation I understand the the patch applicability.  Since my last post I flew from Forks to Rake's Glen and when I landed the runway was were it should be.  Not floating.  I exited the flight and started a new one at WA59 and again found the floating runway.  I don't know enough about this to even have a guess.

Jim F.

Archived