Runway Markings

DexyRed

Hi,

With the upcoming release of FTX Global, FSX is going to look like a whole new animal. The biggest problem with FSX now in terms of immersive realism is, at least for me, runway markings. Default runway markings in FSX look dreadful to my eyes. I find them very jarring, almost cartoonish. They stand out far to much, they lack any sense of texture or wear/scuffing. Essentially, they look, to me, very primitive. Also, the markings stand out far to much particularly when viewing the runway side-on. This screenshot nicely illustrates the problem for me:

uLVH.png

FTX Aero has a lovely scuffed taxiway centre-line that I use a lot and REX Essential also has some nice offerings but there doesn't seem to be any good runway marking replacements. I've googled it and found nothing. Does anyone know of anyway to really improve the realism of runway markings? This bugs me so much that, whenever I look to buy a high detail airport, replacement runways are always the first thing that I look for!

Many thanks :)

Hi,

With the upcoming release of FTX Global, FSX is going to look like a whole new animal. The biggest problem with FSX now in terms of immersive realism is, at least for me, runway markings. Default runway markings in FSX look dreadful to my eyes. I find them very jarring, almost cartoonish. They stand out far to much, they lack any sense of texture or wear/scuffing. Essentially, they look, to me, very primitive. Also, the markings stand out far to much particularly when viewing the runway side-on. This screenshot nicely illustrates the problem for me:

uLVH.png

FTX Aero has a lovely scuffed taxiway centre-line that I use a lot and REX Essential also has some nice offerings but there doesn't seem to be any good runway marking replacements. I've googled it and found nothing. Does anyone know of anyway to really improve the realism of runway markings? This bugs me so much that, whenever I look to buy a high detail airport, replacement runways are always the first thing that I look for!

Many thanks :)

Dreadful, Cartoonish and Primitive, i agreed. But, jarring? ??? It all depend on how hard you hit those runway markings on landing.   :lol:   :P   ;)   

Derrick - I use REX Essentials Plus (haven't installed Overdrive yet) and I use the "Enhanced" runway markings set from that...  combined with one of the detailed REX runway textures or the FTX Aero ones, it seems to work well for me and adds some nice realistic texture.

I will try to get some screenshots of non-payware airports using my settings and post them...

Derrick - I use REX Essentials Plus (haven't installed Overdrive yet) and I use the "Enhanced" runway markings set from that...  combined with one of the detailed REX runway textures or the FTX Aero ones, it seems to work well for me and adds some nice realistic texture.

I will try to get some screenshots of non-payware airports using my settings and post them...

Hi Kevin, thanks for your suggestion but I do use REX Essential with overdrive both for runway surface textures and I also have the 'Enhanced' markings. Unfortunately, although I really like a lot of the surface textures, I don't see the 'Enhanced' markings as an improvement. 

I've just been wondering if any better solution exists or, at least, has the potential to exist that can make the markings globally look much nicer and less prominent. Perhaps a future version of FTX Aero or some other marking replacement product?

Archived