Question regarding SPB AFCADS (PNW)

Red2112

Hi folks,

I was just wondering as I have the following issue...

I hace PNW installed and FSDT´s Vancouver Int. airport (CYVR) which looks and feels awsome together. CYVR has a nice SPB (seaport base) on a river next to CYVR the problem is that there´s no way that I know of to take off from this SPB. Someone said that it should be CAM9 SPB, but all I find in FSX is CAM9 and that puts me way off from CYVR.

Can someone please advise regarding this. Also, is there any Orbx scenery or airport with a capable SPB?

Thank you!

Good care,

Mike

Hi Mike,

CAM9 is the correct ICAO for the Vancouver Intl. seaplane base. However, it's not included in FSX Default and we didn't include it in PNW either meaning any CAM9 you may have would come from a third-party supplier; perhaps it's part of the FSDT CYVR package or FSAddon's VancouverPlus.

The issue with default SPBs in general is that the airplane start positions are located at the outer ends of the water runway, typically many hundred yards from the dock. If you select "active runway" then that's where you'll be positioned, depending on wind direction. That's why for the seaplane bases we include with our regions (especially PFJ and SAK) we also add a start position at the dock, which you can select in the GoTo Airport menu as an alternative to "active runway".

Some of our payware airport packages include detailed seaplane bases: PAKT, 2WA1/WA45 Diamond Point, OG39 Longview Ranch, and possibly others.

Cheers, Holger 

Hi Holger,

thank you for your reply. Ok I will try to find out where the CAM9 afcad came from and why its more then 100nm west of CYVR...

my position on the EFB is where I have the CAM9 startpoint.

C1_zps3b2b5e19.jpg

I noticed that looking at the PNW GEKMZ file with Google Earth that the SPB´s are represented by a green airplane icon and the rest by a blue airplane icon, I would guess that not all airports shown in the GEKMZ file are coverd by PNW, is there a list with what airports are represented by Orbx in the PNW scenery, apart from the payed airports you sell for PNW?

Best regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

indeed, that's a rather generous water runway end point even for a seaplane base  :blink:

It does appear that our current PNW GE list isn't up to date in regards to the seaplane bases. I've checked and PNW includes 37 SPBs in the Canadian sector yet the GE list shows only 15. On the other hand CAM9 is listed but not included.

There is a third-party PNW airport list available here -- http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/27223-ftx-north-america-pnw-pfj-nrmcrm-airport-lists/  -- but I believe Josh used the GE kmz file as a base for it.

I don't have a full list either but you can make your own by navigating to \ORBX\FTX_NA\FTX_NA_PNW05_SCENERY\scenery and then searching for files that end with "_SPB". Those with a "C" as the first letter of their ICAO are the Canadian ones.

Cheers, Holger

P.S.: Mike Mann created a couple of freeware SPB add-ons for PNW that are listed here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/34991-mike-manns-freeware-add-ons-for-pnw/

Hello Holger,

thank you so much! I must say you made my day today!

Apart from making great scenery, you are of great support too!!!

Regarding CAM9, well after hand flying the Cub for more then an hour inbound and a long coffe, I gave up :D  Nothing much has been said over at FSDT support regarding the issue, oh well.

The Oryx headsup is great news too! I have Kelowne X 2012 from Oryx, nice folks and will have a look at there free offerings, thanks for that one Holger, had no idea they did that!

The file directory you posted will be of great help, it´s way easier to find an airport that way. We don´t get any younger and my eyesight is not getting any better :D

Thank you very much for your attention and help Holger! I wish you safe flights and fair weather!

Best regards,

Mike

Hi again Holger,

just to clear things up. Got news from FSDT, CAM9 was put there by them but has been excluded (far away) so it dosent mess up with there GSX and CYVR. Now we can sleep tight :P

It´s great when people help each other!

Thanks!

Care,

Mike

Archived