Ditches along side runways with FTX's free "KPDX"

Kosmo007

Hi again pilots and techs...

I finally decided to DL the Free KPDX (Portland.Or) FTX textures and attached is what I see along side each runway at KDPX.   Is this normal or is there a fix? 

Bw7lv.jpg

I saw another FTX thread a fellow airman was having with his KPDX elevation  and the advice was to "remove any file in FTX/Scenery/World/Scenery that had "KPDX  and elevation" in the file name.  I did this!  I removed one such file but I  still see ditches along side all runways. (I reinstalled the file since it made no difference,)  

I made sure FTX Central was at "default" scenery before the install of KDPX.  I see the ditches when FTX Central is set to "Default" as well was when it is set to "North America."

Any help appreciated.

kosmo007

Well thats some rotten advice to remove the 'elevation' file, must be non-orbx advice :)

You'll need this elevation file in place to fit the FTX region mesh, I would recommend you remove the 3rd party APX you downloaded and return the 'elevation' file to resolve this, do you need a replacement?

And yes, my freeware Portland city has nothing to do with this, nor does FTX make a freeware 'KPDX' addon

Thanks for the  comments.  I guess I 'm confused!  I thought the free FTX I DL'd  on the Orbx/FTX site included Portland International airport.  (I DL'd "Portland City Scape"  as you suspected.)

I take it then the the Portland City Scape  scenery only covers the city of Portland and not KPDX.

What I am seeing must be default scenery but something did change the elevation of the airport with the install because I ran a "before and after" test with the "PCS" and the ditches were not visable during the before test.

kosmo007

Hi Tim Harris

thanks for the interest and reply. 

The info to remove the "elevation" files came right smack from this FTX Forum and if memory serves it came from a long time member. 

Take a look at my last post.  I was wrong thinking the FTX program I dl'd covered the Portland Int airport.  Sorry!

kosmo007

Tim

I found the reference to FTX FAQ I mentioned earlier & it had to do with an "elevation  issue" but perhaps not your "PCS" program.  Fact is, it was you yourself that wrote the suggestion to remove "elevation" files to the other member - but what confused me was when I saw your reference to KSEA and KDFX as shown in your text below:

Here is the URL:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/40695-underground-runways-at-kpdx-and-ksea/?hl=kpdx

Per Tim Harris:  "Oh OK, I did not notice you had uninstalled, in that case if you have uninstalled, please go to FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery and delete/remove and 'FTX' entitled elevation files, this should resolve any current elevation issues"

I assumed (never assume) that your tip to the other member might work for me.  I was mistaken.  I'm sorry for all the confusion Tim.

kosmo007

Hi Kosmo,

That advice was for a customer who had uninstalled PNW and wanted a fresh start,

My Portland CBD is only a collection of models and some photoreal for the CBD and industrial docklands area, nothing touches or messes with KPDX (the airport)

Best bet is to run a search of your main FSX folder for 'KPDX' and let me know what you find

HI Tim

thanks for your help and interest and I'm sorry about my confusion. 

Well guess what? I did a reinstall of your PSC and viola..... no more ditches at the airport...completely gone.... and things look fine all over!  Go figure!!!   (I did reboot)

What is interesting to me is you say you did nothing to the KPDX airport but it sure looks different than the default now. 

It must be due to the PNW scenery because I am no longer getting the flat square cut grass around the runways etc as in default & instead I now see nice ground textures of dirt and grass blending smoothly.  I see  real rivers and water and of course your downtown buildings look great!  

I thought this was all due to your scenery work but if I read your comments right, you say you did nothing around the airport so it must be PNW coverage from Orbx.....

Kosmo007

Kosmo,

I know I posted this info somewhere yesterday, thought it was in this thread, but FWIW if you got the AFCAD/APX file from flightsim.com it would require you to also download the Portland 2010 FS9 airport file from the same place. The single AFCAD/APX file from flightsim.com is just a replacement for the FS9 KPDX airport scenery to make it elevation compatible with FSX.  It would still be FS9 level scenery with the proper elevation to fit ORBX PNW scenery.

Archived