Installing FSX on a different HDD

LBPN

I am thinking of installing FSX and FTX on an older 250GB HDD (7200RPM). I actually have FSX on a second "D:\" partition. I cannot put these HDD's in RAID as my motherboard doesn't have any RAID on it. Should I do this or it's better to keep FSX on my current D: partition on the first drive?

I'm not necessarily looking for improvements in FSX, but keep it away from the rest of my daily accessed files. But I thought that not having those HDD's on RAID, the second HDD will probably perform worse than my primary HDD.

Hi ftxthebest, i have a similar setup to what you describe. I have 3 HDD's, 160GB ( for windows ), 250GB ( for FSX ) and 500 GB ( for everything else). It will mean that when running FSX a whole disk is dedicated to running the game so a slight increase in performance should theoretically be induced.

Multi Drives in a properly configured system regularly backed up will beat RAID any day unless your prepared to spend BIG.

Having FSX and anything else installed on other drives is not an issue. the OS and FSX couldn't give a hoot, as long as it knows where the files are then your set.

Yes i have three drives in my system, The first is a 150 Gig Raptor on this i have Vista ultimate 64 Bit, On the second drive i have FSX and all my ORBX goodies this is a Sata 11 500 Gig, On the third drive which to be honest i dont use anymore is Horizon Photoscenery of England and that is also another Sata 11 500 Gig, So far i have had no problems with running, load times or anything else and my system seems to run like a dream. So i would have things on differant drives i might also add that i only use this system for FSX and nothing else. I have another pc connected to the net and for doing all my other work on, That again helps because i then only install FSX things onto my simming machine, Everything else goes onto my work horse.

cheers

Iain.

Archived