Quad Core

cyberpilot

Some quick questions:

1. What lines should be added to the FSX cfg to improve the performance of quads?

2. Do they really make any difference to performance?

3. Where can I find the cfg in Vista 64?

4. Why do I get a message saying that my colour scheme has been changed to Vista basic everytime I start up FSX?

5. Will the extra cost of replacing my 4870 512mb gpu with a 280gtx really be worth it? Will I see any significant improvement in fps and will I get rid of the micro stutters I experience at the moment?

Thanks,

Frank

Some quick questions:

1. What lines should be added to the FSX cfg to improve the performance of quads?

2. Do they really make any difference to performance?

3. Where can I find the cfg in Vista 64?

4. Why do I get a message saying that my colour scheme has been changed to Vista basic everytime I start up FSX?

5. Will the extra cost of replacing my 4870 512mb gpu with a 280gtx really be worth it? Will I see any significant improvement in fps and will I get rid of the micro stutters I experience at the moment?

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Frank..

1. Depends on what patch level you have for fsx.. however the lines you need to input for SP1 are:

[JobScheduler]

AffinityMask=15

if it's in place in the cfg file for SP2, it doesn't matter but it should not be needed. There are other numbers you can use if you want to assign fewer cores. will this make your quad perform better... depends on how the rest of your system is configured. best benefit I got out of my Q6600 G0 was to overclock it to 3.6Ghz

they are relativly easy to get to 3.00Ghz and perhaps even 3.2Ghz, but you need a good cooling system and some benchmark experience to go further.

2. On SP2 it's questionable. The additional cores only get used at load time and for batching up scenery generation. so having more cores helps, having the line in place may help, but it costs nothing to try.

3. on my system there here.. "C:\Users\Maurices\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" just look for your logon name instead of Maurices

4. Vista can use a 3d interface called Aero.. as such when you start up FSX (which was designed for XP) it doesn't understand Aero. So Vista switches itself back into compatibility mode by temporarily disabling the 3d aero display.. It will return when you exit fsx.

5. Not in my opinion, although having more than 512MB of texture memory may help a little in certain circumstances. unless you want a very high resolution display and Full screen AA, but the impact is in effect minimal imho

These are just my opinions based on my experience other's will have an opinion based on a different experience.. that's the problem with the net  ;D

Archived