Best drive for Installing ORBX

Kosmo007

Hi all

I checked FAQ but  did not see this answered!  I was wonderin'.....'

I have 2 SSD drives (C:\ & D:\ and a 1T HD drive G:\ for storage.  FSX resides on the D:\ drive, & the Win7 OS resides the C:// drive.

I always download Orbx to the G:\ drive after purchase & Orbx always sees that FSX is installed on my D:\ drive. It seems to work fine!   Here's the question!

When flying around,  must  FSX "look" to my G:\ drive to load Orbx scenery or is the Orbx scenery actually installed on the D:\ drive?  

I'm thinking if FSX has to look to the G:\ drive as it loads Orbx then I may be ruining the performance of FSX because I've got FSX looking to the G:\ drive all the time for the Orbx scenery!

Help!

kosmo007

Hi Kosmo,

your ORBX list is already long, and I bet iw will grow further. So the space on your SSDs will shrink. I recommend to store the ORBX sceneries on your regular HDD. You can move them with a tool called Dirlinker. Having such a link in your FSX directory, all future installations will also follow the linked path, and the diskspace consumed will always be on the HDD. I do not see any performance loss, and the loading time I do not care about.

See this post for more info: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/55939-i-want-more-orbx-products-but-no-more-space/?hl=dirlinker#entry501161

Have fun!

HI Gerold,

thanks for the input! 

I do "'store" all my Orbx on the HHD G:\drive  but was just wondering if that wasn't slowing my SSD down performance wise.   According to you it is not, and that is good news!

kosmo007

Gerold

I did the download of your Dirlinker directory program.  Am I telling it Dirlinker the path to whee I want to put the Orbx scenery in both text boxes that open up and need my input when you start the program?  I see no instrucitons anywhere.  Do you have a link for help?

Joe

Hello,

FSX is on my 480GB SSD called my E: drive, I am now down to 55.5GB.

How much more use will I be able to use this SSD?

My plans to gain more space:

As well as FSX on my SSD I have a directory called "COMPLETED SCENERY FILES" which holds 15.4GB of scenery files.

My plan is to move the "COMPLETED SCENERY FILES" to my 2TB hard drive called C:

Since all the files in this directory "COMPLETED SCENERY FILES" are listed on my scenery.cfg file locating them on my E:drive. I plan to change all the entrys globaly showing the files located to my E: drive to now show the location to my C: drive.

I have been seeing threads about moving files requiring special progams or methods to move the files.

Will my plans to relocate this directory work? and should I see an increase in space on my SSD?

Larry

Archived