AI Traffic aircraft folders

Small issue I have with the Simobjects\Airplanes folder.

Is it possible to put all the FTX AI planes in one folder? Well yes, I know it is, but what would I have to edit in order for FSX to see them?

The reason I ask is that I spend a lot of time in the Airplanes folder (painting etc.) and scrolling through all the AI gets a tad tedious.

If this has been answered before, apologies, but I couldn't find it.

On a side note, one doesn't realise the work that goes into making something like AI Traffic and it IS appreciated. All the more so that it's free!

Ron

Ron, you can  put all the AI in a separate folder on a different drive if necessary.  All you will need to do is put an entry in your fsx.cfg telling the sim where to look for the moved simobjects eg:

SimObjectPaths.n=G:\Aeroplanes\AI

n being the next number available.

The following from the SDK:

Normally aircraft containers are added to the SimObjects/Airplanes folder, however this is not a requirement. The ESP.cfg file has entries in the [Main] section determining which path to search for aircraft and other containers. For example:

[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

Additional paths can be added to this file. The paths are either relative to the root folder of the simulation, or absolute paths -- which can also point to locations on other computers (using the "\\computer name" notation). For Windows XP the ESP.cfg file should be in the C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\ESP folder. For Windows Vista the file should be in the C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\ESP folder.

Matt is correct Ron but two points you must note before actioning this change. Firstly, the required change to the FSX config file will be lost each time you refresh the config file so you will need to be aware that the line will need to be re-added any time you update your FSX.cfg in this manner.

The second consideration relates to updates to the FTX AI Traffic package. These updates assume the existing files are held in the default locations so you will need to restore your AI aircraft folders to their default location prior to running any updates. 

I have my personal AI aircraft in separate folders within my SimObjects folder for the sake of neatness and it works fine.

Regardless of where you put your AI aircraft folders, you will still need to add the line to your config file so FSX can find them. Placing them inside the SimObjects\Airplanes folder but within a separate folder (ie. one level further down) will still require the entry.

If you do not refresh or update your FSX config file very often, then there should be no issue - just set it and forget. I mention this requirement as a consideration, not necessarily as a problem. 

Archived